Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Uplugged power steering connector?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-11, 01:20 PM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I have a 5 spd and it does not have it.
I always thought the 5 speeds didnt have anything connected to the plug and some automatic models have the plug (this is just an observation, not a fact).

For those posting if they have a connector there or not please state your year/model/transmission so we can get somewhere with this and put this connector mystery to rest.
Ali, you may be onto something.. My first SC (1992 SC300) was a auto and it did not have a female plug for that sensor. My 2nd SC (1993 SC300) being a factory 5spd, doesn't have a female plug for it either. However my first one was purchased at night and ti turned out to be ****ed up.. lol

sidebar - I read on Supramania, one individual cutting one of the wires causing the power assist at high speeds to be active even during low speeds..
Old 10-21-11, 03:40 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yes, it would have an effect on the power steering if you have a plug on your harness and its actually plugged in vs not. I thought i read somewhere it was to do with automatic models with trac or without trac having them, i cannot remember which one exactly (not helpfull i know).
I just remember concluding that 5 spds didnt have them so I moved on... I spent a good amount of time under there searching high and low for a unused connector, but my harness did not have one.
Old 10-21-11, 03:51 PM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

As odd as it sounds I wish my power steering were lighter at low speeds. It seems like the speed assisted steering doesn't work on my car at all. The stiffness is the same at 5mph as it is at 50mph.
Old 10-24-11, 06:35 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

I have a 5 spd and it does not have it.
I always thought the 5 speeds didnt have anything connected to the plug and some automatic models have the plug (this is just an observation, not a fact).

For those posting if they have a connector there or not please state your year/model/transmission so we can get somewhere with this and put this connector mystery to rest.
yes, it would have an effect on the power steering if you have a plug on your harness and its actually plugged in vs not. I thought i read somewhere it was to do with automatic models with trac or without trac having them, i cannot remember which one exactly (not helpfull i know).
I just remember concluding that 5 spds didnt have them so I moved on... I spent a good amount of time under there searching high and low for a unused connector, but my harness did not have one.
you may be on to something.. both my SC's never had trac...
Old 10-24-11, 06:54 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

I don't have Trac, and mine is a 95 SC300 - Auto
Old 10-24-11, 07:42 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

iv had both auto and manual cars

1992 sc300 - auto - nontrac - plug on rack, no plug on harness
1995 sc300 - manual -nontrac - plug on rack, no plug on harness
1995 sc400 - auto - nontrac - plug on rack, no plug on harness

Last edited by bryan767; 10-24-11 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-24-11, 08:38 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TechGreek
I don't have Trac, and mine is a 95 SC300 - Auto
and you have the plug on your harness side? that would mean its not limited to trac models.

Originally Posted by bryan767
iv had both auto and manual cars

1992 sc300 - auto - nontrac - unplugged
1995 sc300 - manual -nontrac - unplugged
1995 sc400 - auto - nontrac - unplugged
does that mean you have a plug on the harness side but you just leave it unplugged, or you don't have one at all?

there must be a logical explanation for why SC's randomly have it.
Old 10-24-11, 09:24 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

edited for clarity^

honastly its probably because they only made 1 rack for the sc3/400's and it didnt matter if you had trac or not. however if you did it had an extra plug on the harness to alter steering in a lose of traction scenario. thats my guess
Old 10-27-11, 09:56 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey all, after doing some research, the steering connector as pictured by original poster is the power steering pressure switch.

The power steering pressure switch feeds information about demand on the power steering system to the vehicle's computer. At low speed, such as during parking lot maneuvers, the engine produces little power. Instead of waiting for the engine speed to decrease from the increased demand on power steering, the vehicle computer can compensate immediately for the increased load demand to keep the engine running smoothly.

The PPS "Progressive Power Steering" solenoid is a valve that varies the flow of hydraulic fluid to a reaction chamber - a fluid force that actually resists the power assistance. If a lot of fluid is allowed to flow to the reaction chamber, the steering effort is higher. If little fluid flows to the reaction chamber, then the steering effort is lower.

Key point: more fluid flow into the reaction chamber equals a higher steering effort.

Controlling the amount of fluid flowing to the reaction chamber is a solenoid. The solenoid (I assume - I haven't cut one open) consists of a coil, a return spring and the valve. When no current is applied to the solenoid, it opens, allowing more fluid to flow to the reaction chamber and so the steering to become heavier.

The current to the solenoid is varied by means of pulse width modulation - the current is pulsed on and off quickly. If it is on for only half of the time (ie it has a duty cycle of 50 per cent) the coil will 'see' only half battery voltage, and so will not close fully. If the duty cycle is reduced to, say, 30 per cent, then the valve will open a little more.

Note that unlike an injector, the frequency of the pulsing is so quick that the valve doesn't open and shut to the individual pulses - instead the plunger hovers at mid-points.

The PPS is controlled by its own dedicated ECU - a little box. It's a relatively simple box, too, with just one input - road speed. As speed goes up, the duty cycle with which it feeds the solenoid goes down and so the valve opens further, increasing steering heaviness. Or, to put it the other way, as the road speed falls, the solenoid duty cycle increases, closing the valve and so lightening the steering.

Here is a picture of the PPS solenoid

Reference:
http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Modif...8/article.html

and

http://www.ehow.com/info_8748803_pow...switch-do.html
Old 10-28-11, 07:47 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

nice information.. Does anyone know where this PPS ECU is located?
Old 10-28-11, 08:44 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Luv2xl
nice information.. Does anyone know where this PPS ECU is located?
The PPS ECU is located behind/under the glove box.
Old 10-28-11, 11:51 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Luxor
The PPS ECU is located behind/under the glove box.

may have to give this a whirl soon..
Old 01-18-12, 09:46 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

dug up some more info, I wonder since I dont have the connector if I even have the ecu. I don't mind running some wires and getting the right connector if it means better power steering.
Attached Thumbnails Uplugged power steering connector?-pps-slenoid.jpg   Uplugged power steering connector?-pps-ecu-inspection.jpg   Uplugged power steering connector?-pps-ecu-inspection2.jpg  
Old 04-15-20, 06:08 AM
bbyatv
Pit Crew

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

dug up some more info, I wonder since I dont have the connector if I even have the ecu. I don't mind running some wires and getting the right connector if it means better power steering.
Ali,

Did you ever do anything with this connector? I have the same issue where I do not have a connector on the harness that goes to the connector on the steering gear/R&P. Should there be a connector on the harness? Did you end up adding one? If you did, was there a change in your steering? Did you end up having/finding the PPS ECU?

Thanks,
Bruce
Attached Thumbnails Uplugged power steering connector?-steeringcon.jpg  

Last edited by bbyatv; 04-15-20 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Added question
Old 04-15-20, 08:19 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

No I never found the connector (wasn't there) and it was always unplugged. Car drove great... still sort of a mystery to this day.
I didn't try and find the ecu, I don't think the 95 5spd would have had it but I sold that car so I can't really check or anything now.
If you have a connector hanging off your harness then plug it in, otherwise just ignore it seems to be the consensus.

Quick Reply: Uplugged power steering connector?