Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

R154 Wot 4th wont engage

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 03:03 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

if you have the remote shifter R154 or W58, you should check the 4 bushings for the cage, especially if you are using a short shifter then your oem bushings are more than likely toast. It seems to have a larger effect on the remote style shifter cause there are so many things linking everything together wierd things can happen.
If you have the stock shifter on and there is some left to right play before you feel resistance, you may need new bushings.

If you have the older style shifter, there is one main shifter bushing you can change and you guys are lucky you can access that from on top.
Old 10-18-11, 06:12 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stockhatch
I'm with Ali. If it were a synchro it would want to grind, or at least crunch. Hitting a wall sounds like linkage/shifter mechanism. When you try to downshift to a lower gear at too high a speed, you can get the brick wall effect and the synchro works its tail off trying to bring rotating components up to speed.

Do you think you may be missing 4th and trying to grab 2nd instead? I kinda doubt it, but I have seen it happen, and if you have an aftermarket shifter on an unfamiliar trans, maybe you are just missing?
Well its not a aftermarket shifter, its the OEM Mk4 shifter instead of the tall Soarer/Chaser shifter, also the shifter bushing was brand new from Marlin Crawler, whenever i downshift to a higher RPM at higher speeds it works fine, Idk i think it just need to be topped off with fluid, runnin low probably less then 2.5qts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
if you have the remote shifter R154 or W58, you should check the 4 bushings for the cage, especially if you are using a short shifter then your oem bushings are more than likely toast. It seems to have a larger effect on the remote style shifter cause there are so many things linking everything together wierd things can happen.
If you have the stock shifter on and there is some left to right play before you feel resistance, you may need new bushings.

If you have the older style shifter, there is one main shifter bushing you can change and you guys are lucky you can access that from on top.
Well the shifter bushing was replaced with a Marlin Crawler one, so i doubt its the bushing, i think its just not enough fluid in the tranny, its probably less then 2.5qts left in it, also i hit it today to test it out i didnt take it to redline, i shifted early but went right into 4th so IDK
Old 10-18-11, 06:56 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be a fluid issue I suppose. I mean 4th is way up front, so it will be the most starved synchro assembly under WOT as all the fluid piles up at the rear of the trans. Put some more in it and lets find out!
Old 10-18-11, 07:09 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friends Si and another friends RSX Type-S had the exact same issue and it ended up being the synchros EATING them selves up - factory issue with the transmission. (Both less than 20k miles on new vehicles - Honda, psh)

If you can engage at part throttle or a different RPM - exact same symptoms 100%.

I hope it is something else!
Old 10-18-11, 07:46 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Could be a fluid issue I suppose. I mean 4th is way up front, so it will be the most starved synchro assembly under WOT as all the fluid piles up at the rear of the trans. Put some more in it and lets find out!
See, now we makin sense!! LoL i will find out this week, ima add more fluid but i will be ordering some Redline Mt90

Originally Posted by TechGreek
My friends Si and another friends RSX Type-S had the exact same issue and it ended up being the synchros EATING them selves up - factory issue with the transmission. (Both less than 20k miles on new vehicles - Honda, psh)

If you can engage at part throttle or a different RPM - exact same symptoms 100%.

I hope it is something else!
This aint no Honda! LoL JK
yea i hope not
Old 10-19-11, 04:54 PM
94_soarer
Pole Position

Added Fluid!!! Its all good now!!
Old 10-19-11, 05:34 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts