Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Noise in the engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-03, 10:01 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

around 140k for me. I have some spare bearings, if you planning to change, let me know.
Old 01-06-03, 10:39 PM
khark
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by lex400sc
Just curious guys, but anyone here remember what the mileages were on your cars when you first started noticing the bearing noises? I don't have this problem yet, but I want to be ready for it if/when it occurs. Thanks
Mine only had just over 40,000 miles but I don't really think that is the normal mileage to expect a failure.
Old 01-16-03, 10:48 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

around 60k for me.

Taka: I didn't change the other bearing. but i DID change the drivebelt and the noise is still there. to see where the noice is comming from i shot some WD-40 into the other bearing and the noise went away and came back so i know which one it is. So I will change that one out soon. My car is in the shop getting a supra TT brake upgrade so its going to be 2 or 3 weeks until i get it done. I'll let you know.
Old 01-17-03, 01:18 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

Talk about good timing for me! My sc just made the noise this morning- was wondering what it was- glad to find this post. Thanks to all who have contributed. BTW, I'm looking at 78,000 on my Lex. Right now, it only whines for the first 5 min after I crank it, but these things do not get better with time. Sounds like an easy project. Also, the bearing part numbers- are they NAPA exclusive numbers, or is it a universal part number that any shop will be able to find? Thanx!!
Old 01-17-03, 04:13 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

bearing numbers are universal.
Old 01-17-03, 04:47 PM
Carpe Diem
Lead Lap

A left hand thread is one that does NOT operate with the "righty, tighty; lefty, loosey" rule of thumb.

Right hand threads tighten (screw in) when rotated clock-wise.

Left hand threads loosen (screw out) when rotated clock-wise.

Left hand threads are often used on rotating parts where the natural rotation of the part will tend to loosen a right hand thread. Chrysler used them for lug nuts on the passenger side of some of their cars back in the 60s (I think). This little trick produced a surge in sales of lug nuts and studs to replace the many ones twisted off by non-Chrysler garage mechanics.
Old 01-11-05, 06:27 AM
jag_600
Driver

thanks for the info guys....

current part number for the tensioner bearing is 6203-2RSJ at NAPA

the only listing they have on a 6301 for the idler shows an open bearing,, is there another part #?, or is this correct? (haven't taken it off yet to check)
Old 01-11-05, 10:00 AM
Koma

Since someone else brought up an old thread.
Can someone describe this noise?
I have a noise from the engine bay, it sounds like it's from the belt. Whenever I rev my engine I hear a ticking and whirring noise. The ticking has a little bit of flapping to it.
It basically sounds like my motor is ricey. But of course it's not!
My old Celica did the same, but I expected that from a 1992 230K car. It always sounded like the throaty noise of my car was all exhaust and no engine, even though I was running on stock exhaust.
EDIT: My ex-girlfriend always called my Celica, a toy rocket ship. From the interior when I"m driving agressively all I heard was a whining high pitch noise. My poor little 4 cylinder.

Last edited by DarchMage; 01-11-05 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-11-05, 10:52 PM
Koma

Originally Posted by DarchMage
Since someone else brought up an old thread.
Can someone describe this noise?
I have a noise from the engine bay, it sounds like it's from the belt. Whenever I rev my engine I hear a ticking and whirring noise. The ticking has a little bit of flapping to it.
It basically sounds like my motor is ricey. But of course it's not!
My old Celica did the same, but I expected that from a 1992 230K car. It always sounded like the throaty noise of my car was all exhaust and no engine, even though I was running on stock exhaust.
bump?
I have time tomorrow to get this resolved if this is the issue.
Old 01-12-05, 05:22 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

the noise was described on the first pages of this thread.

ticking and flapping noise to a whirring noise doesn't sound like the noise I heard.

I eventually had to replace the the whole idler pulley and the noise went away. I bought an OEM replacement made by a company called Dayco. This came with the pulley and bearing and the whole thing. I think it cost me under $60 for the unit and installation took about 20 minutes by my mechanic.
Old 01-12-05, 08:15 AM
Koma

Do you think replacing just the two bearings would do it? You said that you replaced the first bearing and the noise wasn't as loud but then you replaced the entire pulley.
Has anyone replaced just the two bearings?
Old 09-09-05, 07:45 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had a high-pitched chirping/squeaking sound coming from my engine for a long time, but only when stopped in Drive. If I put the trans in Neutral, the noise stops.

The info on this thread motivated me to pull off the tensioner pulley, and even though the bearing looked and felt new (after 93K miles!), I gave it a squirt of white lithium grease, put some light oil on the threads of the center bolt and reassembled.

That didn't help, so I tried installing a new bearing, and that didn't help.

So if you have the same problem I have (noisy in Drive, quiet in Neutral), changing the tensioner pulley bearing may not resolve it. It's the easiest and cheapest part to try changing, though, so give it a shot. But my problem must be in the tensioner itself, or the bearing shown in the upper right corner in Dennis' pic (below). That bearing is the next thing I will try replacing.

Thanks to Dennis and others for sharing.

Last edited by PERRYinLA; 12-07-06 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-09-05, 08:46 PM
SharpCreas
Pole Position

Thank goodness for this post because I have the same problem
Old 11-17-06, 08:16 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

bump to bring this to light for our newer members.

save yourself a couple hundred bucks and do the fix yourself. i just experienced the same problem and plan on getting it fixed this weekend.
Old 11-19-06, 09:17 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

update - it was a little difficult to hammer out the bearing because i was afraid of breaking something but after talking to Kaiser, he helped me come to the conclusion that "if i've been hammering on it and the bearing isn't coming out - it's already broken so might as well hammer harder."

yep- it worked. got it out, got the new one in, got the belt on, and all in all - saved myself several hundred bucks.

the bearing you'll want to get is the 6203 2RS - the 2 meaning that it is sealed on both sides. this is very important. picked it up at napa for $20 bucks or something.

Quick Reply: Noise in the engine bay