Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Built NA block vs Built TT block

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-11, 02:00 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the input! I think I'm going to do the maintenance and build a ge block for a turbo setup
Old 10-25-11, 03:18 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
aside from the (imo pointless squirters ) and oil feed being on drivers side which if you are doing a block can be drilled on passenger side like gte as the port is there in the block , just needs to be drilled and tapped . they are essentially the same block.
This is probably the first time I am going to agree with Lex.

The GTE block has squirters and low compression, and the GE has no squirters and high compression.

Aside from that, they are the same lower end. Same Iron block, Same rods, same forged crank.

When you install Forged pistons, oil squirters are not needed. They are designed to cool cast pistons to keep them from cracking.

I have built a handful of race 4g63's using N/A Blocks without the squirters and Ross forged pistons in 2006 4 out of 5 making more than 600awhp. They are still racing today.

This is a common practice with Japanese manufacturers. Make one design, and modify slightly to withstand boost from the same platform, without re-designing a separate engine.

If you install Forged pistons on a GE, the lower end will become as strong as a GTE with Cast pistons and oil cooling.

This means, they are basically the same strength down low, but as Lex mentioned the head design is cruder.

That doesn't mean it still can't be a monster!
Old 10-25-11, 03:34 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
people pull their ge's out for the gte swaps but they end up using the their old ge block because the oil squirters didn't help and now they are boosting na ge hard after 5-6 years.
Same replay I was going to give lexforlife.

Define hard? 1 lap at the track with constant oil temps above 200C and engine experiencing full boost prolonged is hard, much much more hard then 10 seconds or less at the drag strip.

As I said previous without the squirters the GE block is inferior. Whether the loss is something one cares about is an entirely different question.
Old 10-25-11, 03:58 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by account2x

Define hard? 1 lap at the track with constant oil temps above 200C and engine experiencing full boost prolonged is hard, much much more hard then 10 seconds or less at the drag strip.

As I said previous without the squirters the GE block is inferior. Whether the loss is something one cares about is an entirely different question.
let me define hard .. 4+ years of abuse by me , over 30k miles of boosting ( has 123k on clock)and when alpha tunes me he tunes for distance .my pulls are usually 3-4 miles long in full tilt.. hes a member here , ask him yourself..motor still has perfect compression and runs smooth and strong

btw my car he never seen a drag strip although it has been at the mile run so i guess that also defines hard
Old 10-25-11, 04:06 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

You'd also be surprised how many (read: little) miles those high horsepower built blocks last. Anything that increases life is a positive in my book.
We can go back and forth but a built GE block is not inferior to a built GTE. So you're saying a built GTE block with forged pistons will outlast a built GE blocks with same setup just because it has oil squirters? Oh wait those built GTE blocks have aftermarket pistons so what's point of oil squirters.

I have a GTE in my car now and will be picking up a GE block to build a bottom end to handle 1000hp. I can sell you my GTE block with the pretty oil squirters then
Old 10-25-11, 04:16 PM
account2x
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
let me define hard .. 4+ years of abuse by me , over 30k miles of boosting ( has 123k on clock)and when alpha tunes me he tunes for distance .my pulls are usually 3-4 miles long in full tilt.. hes a member here , ask him yourself..motor still has perfect compression and runs smooth and strong

btw my car he never seen a drag strip although it has been at the mile run so i guess that also defines hard
You don't have 30,000 miles of full boost brutality on the block.

Originally Posted by cherplex
So you're saying a built GTE block with forged pistons will outlast a built GE blocks with same setup just because it has oil squirters?
Yes

Originally Posted by cherplex
Oh wait those built GTE blocks have aftermarket pistons so what's point of oil squirters.
Squirters squirt oil onto the pistons for cooling. An independent function from the pistons job to absorb the brunt of the combustion process.
Old 10-25-11, 07:29 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have a winner here seriously and i think the 2jzge price just went up where is Aliga? haha

Cherplex,

what oil squirters the ones that are non fonctional with aftermarket pistons ok then can the gte be better than ge when they are both equip with aftermarket pistions ? it doesn't make any sense .. does it ?
Old 10-25-11, 08:36 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

OP good luck with your built GE motor. Regardless of what was posted here those that truly know, know that a built GE motor is not inferior to a built GTE. If that's the case then a stock GE motor is inferior to a GTE motor in regards to handling power
Old 10-25-11, 10:33 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This made me laugh.. if the oil squirters were a huge difference in performance or reliability, why don't they design them in the stroker kit on the 3.0 GTE or GE? Because when you get a 3.4L stroker kit for the gte, the squirters are eliminated. This is just my thoughts on aftermarket reasoning. Plus how many times does the ge block have to prove itself that it can handle some serious power without the oil squirters before it's considered and equal to the gte block?
Old 10-26-11, 04:45 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

This is because he has never built an engine, let alone swapped one.

I hate the fact you use the word "Inferior" just to sound intelligent.

Toyota doesn't skimp anywhere. So just because one JZ is turbo, and one JZ is not, doesn't make it "Inferior".

"Marginally less potential" is a better term to use.

You wanna see what a GTE with Forged pistons and no squirters for reliability will do?

This is one of the homies cars, quite a few years ago. You guys are new to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w93Uh...eature=feedlik

In case you weren't counting, that's 2 full minutes of WOT at 25lbs of T88. 800hp.

The thing comes right back down to idle after beating the shyte out of it.

It has no squirters, stock rods, stock crank, and forged 8.5:1 JE's.

Still wanna argue about things you "Know"?
Old 10-26-11, 07:14 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

^^^ I remember seeing that video a few years back it's also at the end of a supra compilation video.
Old 10-26-11, 07:23 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Yup, that was taken at a NAPA burnout contest, right here in the Great state of Maine.

The point is, Squirters were implemented by the bean counters, to combat people:

-Running 87 octane or other low quality gas
-Never changing the oil
-Shutting the car off immediately after putting a big load on it
-Generally abusing the car

Go build an engine already OP!
Old 10-26-11, 09:15 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

Haha i just have to find the money! I only want to run around 500 or so wheel horsepower..just so I can outrun my girlfriends 2010 SS camaro :P..im thinking of running GTE pistons, like a JE or CP, .020 over..reground crank..now i have a couple questions..
DO i run a GE head with a GTE gasket? both sets of pistons are rated at a 8.5-9.0:1 CR with a dish top..
Should I run a GE head with a GE gasket? Considering the pistons are dished?
GTE head with a GTE gasket?
GTE head with a GE gasket?
I'll need .020 oversized rings too right?
Old 10-27-11, 04:39 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by durtysc300
Haha i just have to find the money! I only want to run around 500 or so wheel horsepower..just so I can outrun my girlfriends 2010 SS camaro :P..im thinking of running GTE pistons, like a JE or CP, .020 over..reground crank..now i have a couple questions..
DO i run a GE head with a GTE gasket? both sets of pistons are rated at a 8.5-9.0:1 CR with a dish top..
Should I run a GE head with a GE gasket? Considering the pistons are dished?
GTE head with a GTE gasket?
GTE head with a GE gasket?
I'll need .020 oversized rings too right?
to do it the right way get oe spec'd ge pistons or just use oem ge if you are not going over sized.. its always a better idea to avoid going .20 or .40 over . going gte spec piston on ge head will lower compression below 8:5:1 and make it more prone to detonation , this route destroys intended squish and quench within combustion chamber.

are you running a standalone , if so even better for the higher compression
Old 10-27-11, 11:20 AM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

I think I would rather go stand alone than piggyback so I have more tuning capabilities