Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How much did you pay for your 1jz swap when it was all finished and running?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-11 | 04:57 PM
CantSeeMe
Lead Lap

To the OP honestly, good luck getting a real number from people.....(This will be especially true when doing it yourself, as most people will claim they spent less than they actually did for some reason) But I would be sure when doing any swap or build, 1J, 2J, Na-T etc. to take the amounts people are claiming they paid or what it SHOULD cost and have double that amount on hand for any unforeseen or other issues and be comfortable spending that amount if needed, otherwise you will run out of money or resent that you spent too much !
Old 11-12-11 | 08:21 PM
Dv8
Pole Position

It's retard strength difficult to import/register/insure jdms in amuuuurica. It'd likely be cheaper to buy a half cut up here. Or a whole car and chop it up yourself. I bought my car for dirt. I'll have maybe 6 grand into the build by christmas. With any luck you lot will see it.
Old 11-12-11 | 09:31 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CantSeeMe
To the OP honestly, good luck getting a real number from people.....(This will be especially true when doing it yourself, as most people will claim they spent less than they actually did for some reason) But I would be sure when doing any swap or build, 1J, 2J, Na-T etc. to take the amounts people are claiming they paid or what it SHOULD cost and have double that amount on hand for any unforeseen or other issues and be comfortable spending that amount if needed, otherwise you will run out of money or resent that you spent too much !
I have to agree.

The total price will vary based on how much you paid for the engine, what condition the engine was in, what was replaced maintenance-wise, what kind of parts were used to do the maintenance and rebuild (if there is a rebuild), what after-market parts were used, how the wiring was done, so on and so forth.

Some people don't care about the end result and will go around saying they did the swap in a few days, which basically involves taking the new motor and dropping it in doing little to nothing to it from when it was received. Others take time and do things a different way.

I can tell you that all these "NICE" swaps that you see and drool about are not cheap. The dirty crappy ones are cheap.
Old 11-13-11 | 11:10 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I have to agree with the above statement also. I am in the middle of swapping to a 1JZ into my SC400. Everyone knows it costs to play and even more into the 400. I had to buy extra parts that the 300 sometimes already has in it. Here is a list of what I can remember that I have bought and I am still NOT finished buying parts.

1JZ motor and auto tranny, with the R154 - $2500. He sent me a video of it running and several pictures that he had in his Soarer. He also replaced the wiring clips, water pump (OEM), and all the seals, before I bought it. The only thing that needed to be replaced was the right valve cover gasket, it had a tear in it, once it was removed from the car. It came with complete uncut wiring, ignitor, and the ECU. The tranny had no shifter, and the housing seal had a slight crack, easy fix with high temp silicone.
1JZ bellhousing and lightened flywheel with washer plate, and 12 exhaust studs- DM, paid $740 shipped.
1JZ gasket kit, member on here, paid $120 shipped
SC400 pedal set and SS clutch line, like new from member on here, paid $300 shipped
Front half of a MKIII driveshaft, clutch fork, another member, paid $125 shipped, still awaiting delivery.
800cc injectors, DM downpipe, full exhaust, HKS carbon fiber slip on, 4" intake, with K and N filter, T4 manifold, Tial 44m wastegate, member on here, $1500
SC400 manual shifter cover.. paid $40 shipped
SC400 TRD shifter ****... Paid $40.00
Motor stand.. paid $75.00
SC300 radiator, fan shroud, fan, condensor, all AC lines from firewall to compressor, overflow coolant tank with all bolts and brackets, 95 Camry throttle cable.. paid $310, shipped, cost $205 to ship, due to box being so big and heavy..
Misc steel braided lines for turbo, size 10 and 4 with couplings, around $200.
DEI heat wrap.. paid $100 for several packages and ties.
Clamps to hold the wrap on manifold... $9.00
AC line oring kit.. $10.00
FMIC...Ebay one .. had brackets already.. $187.00 shipped
BW S366 turbo.. $700 shipped
MISC paint stripper remover for bumper and sandpaper.. $100.00
MIsc cans of VHT high temp clear and aluminum paint, with semi gloss black... $100.00
R154 shifter... Paid $12.00, didnt come with the top mounting bracket or seal.
DM shifter washer, speed sensor, 4 quarts of Redline tranny fluid, clutch hub, throwout bearing, both tranny outer seals.. Paid $240.00 shipped
Misc seals and tubes of silicone, $25.00
AEM digital boost gauge with all accessories.. $140.00 shipped
Three stage pod holder from Advanced, had to modify to fit.. $40.00
R154 pilot bearing.. $5.00
Wire tie for the heat wrap, bought from Lowes.. $4.95
NGK Iridium plugs X 6... $55.00
TT fuel pump.. $100.00 shipped
Modified shifter and welding.. $40.00
SC300 motor mounts and brackets, traded for the stock injectors.

I am sure that I am forgetting some things, but you get the idea. I bought some new, some slightly used, and some new.. Parts to me are getting harder to find, due to so many people modding their SC's. if you find a good deal on something, then buy it.. I still need the ACT stage 4 clutch for around $580, and the BC stage 2 cams for $550, and the AEM V2 standalone, around $1250..

Last edited by 1JZPWRD; 11-14-11 at 09:42 AM.