Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How "loud" is loud? 2012 Porsche 911 exhaust note compared to SC catbacks

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-11, 09:19 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts
Default How "loud" is loud? 2012 Porsche 911 exhaust note compared to SC catbacks

I just saw this video and it got me thinking: whenever there is concern about the loudness of an aftermarket or custom exhaust system on an SC, how loud is that, actually, compared to a modern production car.

I just saw the video in this Jalopnik article on the 2012 Porsche 911 (991 model) and that flat-6 sounds pretty damn aggressive. Just as aggressive as the exhaust systems that get some people harassed with modified imports.

Here it is: http://jalopnik.com/5858205/2012-por...11-first-drive

A Blitz Nur Spec R on an NA 2JZ-GE doesn't seem that much louder when the throttle is opened up. The dual-muffler version doesn't seem that way either.

A Tanabe Medalion dual catback sounds tame compared to the sound from this '12 Porsche and it's just a base model-- not even a GT3 or other NA performance variant.

Perhaps its the placement of the microphones but it does sound like a fairly loud stock car.

Does anyone else agree? Opinions?
Old 11-10-11, 09:42 PM
NaturalJZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitly a bit louder then our cars with a muffler but thats also cause its shorter exhaust system since its mid engine.. My sc is alot louder then that but just cause its pipes haha.. I think also the boxers get very loud.. look at how many loud *** subarus are around.

On a side note, that porsche sure can stop
Old 11-10-11, 11:30 PM
KahnBB6

You mean it's rear-engined

I hadn't thought of the piping length but that makes sense. Shorter piping means a more aggressive exhaust note. VW Beetles (not the rebadged Golfs we have now) are noisier as are any VW flat-four vehicles.

An example like this makes me think it's not such a strange thing to throw a Nur Spec, dual Flowmaster 40 or other catback onto my car. I mean... if a new Porsche 911 sounds this loud and it's fine to sell to the buying public I don't see how it's any different to have a more aggressive exhaust on a car that never came with one. They regulate emissions and gas mileage with CAFE and EPA regs, not numbers of cars that produce noise versus numbers of cars that are quiet.

Little rant... but I guess that's idealism versus the reality that people get harassed. Unless they drive a classic American car, heh.

EDIT: A friend just pointed out that (as can be seen in the video) all the DOT cares about with noise levels from any car is the dB level at cruising speed. That is what needs to be 94 dB or less when legalizing a car for sale in the USA, not part or WOT sound.

Not sure if that has any bearing whatsoever legally on aftermarket exhaust systems (PART/WOT).

And yes, that 911 can slam down to a stop very quickly.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-10-11 at 11:38 PM.
Old 11-11-11, 08:43 AM
NaturalJZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah haha rear, mid.. i mix them up

I know my 300 is illegal right now cause its way to loud so i have to drive around at or under 2k rpm haha but im getting it a ultra quiet res over the winter.. Ill post vid/sound clips of before and after
Old 11-12-11, 03:56 AM
KahnBB6

I had a Tanabe Racing Medalion (cruise missile) on my previous car for a short time. I liked it at first but hated the loudness and switched to something milder.

I'm guessing that is also what 2JZ non-turbo cars encounter despite being inline-sixes if cruising at 3000-4000rpm with a modified exhaust?
The RPM the car is cruising at that is what invites the droning to occur?
Old 11-12-11, 08:42 AM
Batiatus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the whole loudness thing has to do with what type of car it is too. I mean our cars are supposed to be a luxury car so the average person wouldn't expect the exhaust to be that loud. The Porsche is a sports car though and everyone knows it so they expect it to be kinda loud.

All that matters though is personal opinion. Its just that the opinions are influenced by whats around them. And most cars aren't very loud compared to a Porsche.

I say if its legal though, go ahead and put whatever exhaust you want on a car. But if its a Blitz or something some people might think its too loud.
Old 11-12-11, 02:38 PM
KahnBB6

Batiatus, you're stating the writing on the wall that I just don't want to accept. I guess I've seen so many performance cars of all shapes and sizes that regardless of how a style of car is perceived by most people (and choosy police officers) as to its expected loudness doesn't really matter to me if it looks like, say... a quiet cruiser but sounds like a 1971 Challenger.

I've never heard a Nur Spec in person, just in video clips. It sounds loud in some and tolerable in others. In one using a silencer it sounded fine as well but I'm sure that kills flow somewhat even on an NA. It seems like a very subjective catback. Some people tolerate it while others find it loud and drony. I'd probably err on the side of the latter and look for something else.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-12-11 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-12-11, 03:40 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

nur spec with a turbo is a beautiful sound! i had a full 3 inch nurspec on my 240... the sound difference between n/a and turbo is night and day. n/a its just to loud

theres a difference between a porsche and a Sc or any other cheaper import...... porsche can be as loud as it wants ITS A PORSCHE but a toyota/nissan/honda being loud is just, well.... loud.
Old 11-12-11, 04:54 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by iridebmx
nur spec with a turbo is a beautiful sound! i had a full 3 inch nurspec on my 240... the sound difference between n/a and turbo is night and day. n/a its just to loud

theres a difference between a porsche and a Sc or any other cheaper import...... porsche can be as loud as it wants ITS A PORSCHE but a toyota/nissan/honda being loud is just, well.... loud.
I like the sound of a 1JZGTE or 2JZGTE car with the Nur Spec. I want to but can't justify it on my GE car. I've already had one experience eons ago with a Tanabe Racing Medalion on my old Prelude. I took it off after a year. The silencer was never a real cure.

The double-standard that exists for cars like the above Porsche versus something like our Lexus (without being eardrum-shattering) is the reality, I know, but is such a stupid preconception. There are bad examples and most Hondas (exc. NSX and S2000) and probably, as you say, non-turbo 2JZ's are among those.

For my car I'm probably leaning back to black 2.25" Vibrants with no resonators.
Old 12-08-11, 12:43 AM
KahnBB6

Actually, if an NA 2JZ-GE revving sounds anything like an NA 7M-GE revving I'm in love with the sound of this particular Flowmaster setup as an alternative to Vibrant mufflers. Call me old fashioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdnEeEriib4

EDIT 1-31-2012: This guy's setup also has a nice sound. I'd have to hear it in person but it sounds just as loud as any other domestic muscle car other than that it's not a V8. Does anyone know whose car this is? Interesting center-mount setup too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmwXm0QF6oY

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-31-12 at 02:20 AM.
Old 12-08-11, 09:59 AM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Watching the video made me realize that the new 911 Turbo is going to be a beast. I also like that shade of gold it comes in.
Old 02-15-12, 06:17 PM
KahnBB6

On the basis of the above videos I am going to install a set of Flowmaster 40's in a month or two on a custom 2.25" or 2.5" cat-back system. I'm not planning on higher flow needed for a turbo in the future. I think running them without resonators would be too loud for me. Does anyone have any opinions on the stock resonators vs aftermarket resonators?
Old 02-15-12, 08:07 PM
DJVe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it also has a lot to do with discrimination. if a cop pulls over a brand new 911 for doing 80, especially with an older driver, they are less likely to get a ticket than say a 16 year old kid in a honda civic. granted there is some valid reasoning behind this, but it is still a form of discrimination. same goes for exhausts sounds. if a lambo goes by with a loud exhaust, cops are more likely to let it go than kid in rice rocket. (please note im not calling our cars rice rockets, simply stating their point of view).

where im from, lancaster, ca, most of the people are white, redneckish, and very tied to car culture (we used to have LACR out here). my friend got pulled over in his old school restored ford truck running a sick 454, cop was into cars so told him nice truck, no ticket. i guarantee if he was in a modified japanese car, that would have been a different story.
Old 02-15-12, 09:09 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by DJVe
it also has a lot to do with discrimination. if a cop pulls over a brand new 911 for doing 80, especially with an older driver, they are less likely to get a ticket than say a 16 year old kid in a honda civic. granted there is some valid reasoning behind this, but it is still a form of discrimination. same goes for exhausts sounds. if a lambo goes by with a loud exhaust, cops are more likely to let it go than kid in rice rocket. (please note im not calling our cars rice rockets, simply stating their point of view).

where im from, lancaster, ca, most of the people are white, redneckish, and very tied to car culture (we used to have LACR out here). my friend got pulled over in his old school restored ford truck running a sick 454, cop was into cars so told him nice truck, no ticket. i guarantee if he was in a modified japanese car, that would have been a different story.
You're pretty spot on. Yes, it would have been a different story if it were a modified Japanese car.

Mine looks (to non-SC people) like a stock sporty Lexus and doesn't have anything visibly aftermarket on it. The very stock ride height would make most SC owners cringe. I'd hope all of that that makes some difference and to a small extent I think it does but I don't think any officer is going to mistake a Lexus for anything other than a Lexus-- a car not usually considered fast nor usually owned by younger people.

If my Lexus sounds a bit more like a muscle car than a rice rocket I would hope it makes some difference but it probably won't. It is discrimination but mostly I see it skewed towards cheaper FWD cars driven by teens.

Then again, when I was seventeen I was driving around in a clean looking classic Mustang with loud Flowmasters and I was pulled over from time to time even when minding my own business and following the speed limit. Sadly it's not always the car.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 02-15-12 at 09:12 PM.