Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Car still won't start. need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-11, 04:04 PM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

timing belt still there?
Old 11-27-11, 05:22 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Justmando5
Igniter sorry about, igniter/ ignition module eh same thing.
The icm on the passenger side, or the igniter that leads to the distributor ?

Originally Posted by chingpo05
timing belt still there?
Yup...only 2 weeks old too
Old 11-27-11, 08:55 PM
Justmando5
Driver School Candidate

The igniter on drivers side right on top of the shock tower that is connected to a black bracket.
Old 11-28-11, 10:26 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Bumpty bump
Old 11-28-11, 10:42 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, has nothing to do with each other. Have you checked the main ecu yet?
Old 11-28-11, 11:42 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

No spark and no fuel = bad Crankshaft Position Sensor. Do you have spark from the from the primary side of the ignition system?
Old 12-02-11, 01:12 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

No spark at all. Had my ecu rebuilt with new caps and still no spark. The distributor where the car gets cam/crank info is also new
Old 12-02-11, 02:36 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

check efi relay
Old 12-02-11, 02:42 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

It could be the ecu relay even if the car is getting spark?
Old 12-02-11, 02:45 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Well that was a no go. also had my ecu rebuilt and still no spark. we are out of parts to throw at it and everything checks out power wise
Old 12-02-11, 09:43 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Default guys, i am at a loss

Car still has no spark even after replacing the entire ignition system and having my ecu re capped. I'm moving out of state in a week and hauling a dead car is too much of a hassle. I really want it up and running, but at this point it has travelled more miles on a flatbed than its been driven since I've owned it. I hate to sell it but I'm out of ideas. my buddy helped me go over all the electrical stuff. grounds, resistance, the components are new and should be getting power.

Today I broke down and took it into the dealership where I know a couple techs. after explaining everything to them and what's been done to try to remedy the no spark issue they were stumped as were the other techs we spoke with. at this point its gonna be $222 for 3 hours of diagnostics. the problem is I have to be out of my house Thursday and the movers are packing everything up Wednesday...unfortunately they won't be able to get diagnostics done at Lexus until Monday, possibly Tuesday and parts won't make it in time because everything new has to be purchased online, or ordered through Lexus.

If anyone has any wild guesses, insight, or unorthodox methods to get it running throw them out there.
Old 12-02-11, 09:58 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

You've already been told to check the crankshaft position sensor and that's really all it can be so I would have to ask if you did that.
Old 12-02-11, 10:03 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

The crank and cam info comes from the distributor. its new and is turning when the car cranks. believe me I tried everything, had an ase mechanic triple check my work and explained to trained Lexus techs what is going on. we are all stumped. is it possible that the leaking capacitor messed up something else in the ecu?
Old 12-02-11, 10:12 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

ehhhh........sorta. The crank sensor or "engine speed sensor" is just as important.

The ECU monitors the engine condition by signals from each sensor, calculates the ignition timing and sends an ignition signal to the igniter. High voltage from the ignition is distributed to each spark plug in the appropriate order to generate a spark between the electrodes, which ignites the air–fuel mixture. IGNITERS
The igniter temporarily interrupts the primary current with the ignition signal (IGT signal) from the ECU and generates sparks at the spark plug. Also, as a fail–safe measure, when ignition occurs, an ignition confirmation signal (IGF signal) is sent to the ECU.

IGNITION COIL
The ignition coil uses a closed core coil with the primary coil wrapped around the core and the secondary coil wrapped around the primary coil. This allows the generation of a high voltage sufficient to cause a spark to jump across the spark plug gap.

DISTRIBUTORS
This correctly distributes high voltage to the spark plug of each cylinder in the specified ignition order.

ENGINE SPEED SENSOR
The engine speed sensor detects the crank angle.

CAM POSITION SENSORS
The RH and LH cam position sensors detect the cam angle.
Old 12-02-11, 10:16 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Further.....

Cam position sensors (G1 and G2 signals) and engine speed sensor (NE signal) consist of a signal plate and a pick up coil. The G1, G2 signal plates have one tooth each on its outer circumference and are mounted on the left and right bank camshafts.
When the camshafts rotate, the protrusion on the signal plate and the air gap on the pick up coil change, causing fluctuations in the magnetic field and generating an electromotive force in the pick up coil. The NE signal plate has 12 teeth and is mounted on the crankshaft. The NE signal sensor generates 12 NE signals per engine revolution. The ECU detects the standard crankshaft angle based on the G1, G2 signals, and the actual crankshaft angle and the engine speed by the NE signals.

Diag. Code 12
RPM Signal Circuit (No.1)
Code No.
Diagnostic Code Detecting Condition
Trouble Area

ISSUE: No ”NE” or ”G1” and ”G2” signal to ECU within 2 sec. after cranking.

CAUSES:
• Open or short in engine speed sensor, No. 1, No. 2 cam position sensor circuit
• Engine speed sensor
• No. 1, No. 2 cam position sensor
• Starter
• ECU

Quick Reply: Car still won't start. need help ASAP