Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

I Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-11, 03:43 PM
audi121
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Need Help!

Hello SC family!

So I decided to take on the dreaded starter swap on my '92 SC400. After completing the swap and reassembling everything, I stripped a bolt leading to the driver side fuel rail. I then replaced the fuel rail with a '95 SC400 fuel rail I picked up from the junkyard. On the first start up the car is putting out smoke, has a terrible idle, and then dies. After searching previous forums I decided to replace the ECU with a '92 SC400 I got from a junkyard, hoping it would fix the idle and smoking. Now my car turns over, but will not start. I'm assuming its not getting gas b/c I do not hear the fuel pump engage when the key is in the ON position. So I went back to my old ECU and pulled the spark plugs. The plugs are completely black and reek of gasoline. So my questions are 1) are the '92 & '95 fuel rails compatible? 2) should I replace the fuel pressure regulator(s) and if so which one(s)? 3) Is there something up with my ECU 4) does this sound like my fuel pump ECU is bad?
Any input would be greatly appreciated as this car is my daily driver.
T.I.A,
Aaron
Old 11-26-11, 12:23 PM
audi121
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update..

So today I removed the hose connected to the PCV valve while the car was running and the engine ran 10 times better. So I immediately replaced the PCV valve and grommet, but to no avail the car continued to run terrible as mentioned in my previous post. Seems like the car is not getting the proper air/fuel mix ratio. No sure if this new info helps, but any input would be greatly appreciated..

thanks