Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Climate controls...no its not a fuse.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 11:08 PM
Tofubento
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Climate controls...no its not a fuse.

I have a 92sc300...when I purchased it the climate control wasnt working, no fuse in location, put a proper fuse in and the controls turned on and worked. Turned car on , and climate controls went out. I have also had the controls randomly go on, once, and seem to always turn off when I put the car in gear ( auto ) , but if I pull any fuse from kick panel and put it back in, the climate controls work again, but then again if i put it in gear (park to anything) it will shut off. I have pulled the dash, checked wiring to and from the climate controls, as well as bought another unit,new/used unit actually lights up all the time now vs nothing in the old unit, but only buttons. No screen lighting up, and no air being moved, where as old unit when it worked i could use all controls for directing air/turning air on. The lighter works as well...so could it be a bad unit or something else?
I took the dash apart to inspect the harness, due to previous owner messing with radio wiring, and found nothing wrong or to suggest anything wrong with dash wiring.Cig lighter works, and all fuses have been replaced. I am not looking forward to taking it to Lexus to have them check it out, would much rather fix it on my own. So any one have any ideas?
Old 12-02-11, 01:17 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Well you covered everything except the one thing you should have...... Grounds. Shifting from park isn't what is causing it. Putting your foot on the brake and drawing amperage on a weak ground is. To see if this is your issue, pull the fuse and make it work again, DONT TOUCH THE BRAKE AT ALL EVER, use your e-brake, then shift using the shift lock over ride.
Old 12-02-11, 05:31 AM
Tofubento
Driver

Well its on stands right now, so I might as well try. If that turns out to be the case I wonder what ground is the issue? And if thats not the case, I wonder what is the issue? Find out in bit...
Old 12-02-11, 09:35 AM
Tofubento
Driver

tried it with the new ebay deck ( used ,said to work ) everything lights up but no air controls, even after the fuse trick. Though I did pound on the top of the console and things flickered , needles and deck, so I think it may be a bad ground as you said. First I am going to try it with the old deck and see how that goes this weekend. I am really praying it is as simple as a ground issue.
Old 12-19-11, 09:04 AM
Tofubento
Driver

anyone? The problem seems to be back.
Old 04-14-12, 06:17 AM
food7373
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever solve your problem?