Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Area51 Fabrication Supercharger kit for SC400 release date DEC/02-Jan/03

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-02 | 12:43 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Default i misread,... got to thinkin' turbo...

i'ma look at the thermo book tonite,... i know neither are perfectly linear,.. they have curves, that peak and decrease at some specified point,... the turbo is driven by exhaust gas, and exhaust gas behaves depending on temperature and pressure,... where as on a belt,... it's not dependent on either to drive it. Thus a more even power distribution and addition.

I design naturaln gas compressors,...and this kinda stuff comes up everyday... more than a brain full.
Old 10-15-02 | 12:59 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Default that poses an interesting question:

If a supercharged car raced an identical car with a turbo,.... the sc'ed car would probably take it off the line,....but being the supercharger is limited by the rpm of the belt driving the charger,... would the turbo'd car be able to catch and pass the other based on it's ability to create more high end boost??
Old 10-15-02 | 01:58 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Hello NAZTY97,

A 7 psi supercharged SC400 Vs. 7 psi turbo SC400 in a race, the turbo will take it the checker flag. There are a lot of misconceptions about supercharger (SC). SC power is LINEAR. The fast the rpm, the faster sc spin. Secondly, it might take the SC400 about 40-60 hp to run the sc. Thirdly, peak power for SC is redline.

Ok, SC Vs. Turbo/TT:

Light to Light Race:
Winner: Turboed SC400
Reason: With ball bearing lag is minimum and 7 psi turbo will produce more power and it will produce peak power much earlier. Say around 3.5k rpm vs. 6.5k rpm.

1/4 mile Race:
Winner: SC400
Reason: Turbo SC400 will have more HP and more effecient.

Bottom Line:

Turbo SC400 is clearly more superior.

Once again, I am running a race supercharger and it produce massive boost, but i would not see it until redline.
Old 10-15-02 | 01:58 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Search the archives

IF you guys are interested in supercharge vs turbo..dig out the turbo vs sc or turbo vs supercharge threads out of the GS or SC forums and you'll get ALL the details.

Lex400sc. that would probably be a GOOD addition to the FAQ. Pros and Cons of turbo/sc.

That one gets rehashed a LOT.

Also..it'll be interesting how area51 gets that supercharger in the engine bay w/out any battery relocation or hood adjustments.

I'd like to see how it goes.

Also if Max, and weapon-r can get an entry level turbo kit in at 5500 much like area51 will for the supercharger, then that will post 2 very interesting options for entry level power.
Old 10-15-02 | 02:41 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

One problem with Supercharger that i faced about a year ago. I upgrade my internals for my Cobra with lower compression JE pistons. My 12 psi ATI P600B became 4 psi (that is at redline). If i want to get more boost (15 psi) from the P600B, i need to change to a smaller pulley. The problem was that smaller pulley will slip and you will not get the psi you want. Therefore, i need to purchase another larger supercharger. That i why i had two superchargers.

If i have to do it over again, i would not get supercharger for my cobra. I would just go directly to turbo. The head unit is not cheap. ATI F1SC headunit costed me $2,500 and that is not including labor and tunning.

With turbo, you can adjust boost as you please. Like the above member stated. I can not see where the supercharger be located without relocation the battery and/or fuse box. If the superchager is mount somewhere else, hood clearance would a big problem.

If Area51 is using S-trim Vortech headunit, that unit is not made for high boost. If you ever want to upgrade your engine, you would need to upgrade the headunit too.
Old 10-15-02 | 03:05 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

i have no problem with relocation the battery to the trunk to accomodate a larger headunit if thats whats needed for the extra boost. I think most people are aware that turbo has more potential for higher horsepower. I think the general consensus is that most of the people here are not looking for the 900RWHP cars. Correct me if I am wrong but most people are looking for a little more juice. most people are going to be more than happy seeing the extra 100-150HP that we are going to see with the Area51 kit. For me I don't want the crazy 900HP car for 1. it won't be safe(we'll all end up dead) to be a daily driver (that most of us use the car for) 2. I don't want to drag car. I just want to go a little quicker. It will be a stupid car to drive in rain or god forbid snow. I'm sure so many people would not be looking to add turbo or supercharger if the car had0 400HP out of the box. With this supercharger kit we will most likely end up in the 400hp range. People who want crazy power should not get this kit and wait for the turbo, whoever it ends up making the kit for.
Old 10-15-02 | 07:19 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Well said

Well said VS.

I am only looking for 350-400hp supercharged
maybe 400 plus turbo..but ONLY in the 5500 range and even that is pushing it.
Old 10-15-02 | 08:56 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

It's an old saying, but it's true - gotta pay to play..
Old 10-15-02 | 09:19 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

I respect your opinion VS. Its well said. The problem with horse power is like a drug. Its very addictive. The more you have, the more you want.

Yes, with 400 hp you can pass 90% of production cars. When a Z06 pass you by and you will start to think about beating the Vet too. Next thing you know there are a lot of supercharged Mustangs and Camaros running with 500 rwhp. Than you start to think and want more hp.

What is worst is that Turbo Civic start to pass you. You need more HP and you want more HP. Well, guess what supercharger is not that easy to increase boost. These are the reasons why its hard:

1. You will need to get a smaller supercharger pulley or larger crank pulley.
2. You will need a new belt
3. Smaller pulley might not work, it might slip at high rpm
4. If it slip at high rpm, therefore you will need a bigger (different gear ratio) blower.

I totally respect the supercharger owners. I am one of them.
Old 10-15-02 | 10:01 PM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

why not just go with the Nos setup. It gives like 100hp and only cost about $6-800.
Old 10-15-02 | 10:29 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Engines put out heat,and lots of it;the turbo taps into some of that for a real bonus.
Old 10-16-02 | 02:23 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Hey gang,

I will throw my hat into the fire. If dyno numbers for stage 1 produce 100rwhp, then count me in. I will order the kit the day they are available...have it shipped to Colorado the next day....and install it that weekend. No questions asked...done deal.

Now, lets get those dyno numbers and some pictures of the prototype posted please.

I have parked my mint 92SC4 for some time...waiting for the chance to give her some boost. Its about time....she was getting jealous of the Supra sitting along side it in the garage. The Supra always gets the call to duty when the need for speed comes around. heheh
Old 10-16-02 | 09:31 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

if a turbo civic can beat me on the highway then hats off to them for they truely do deserve it. If a Z06 passes me I'll look over and I'll know I would be driving in my premium car and they'll still have their stock delco radio on it. By no means is the lex meant to beat every car out there. But for those wild ocations I do have a .093 metal gasket and a 75 shot nitrous kit on order.
Old 10-16-02 | 12:45 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by VSsc400
By no means is the lex meant to beat every car out there.

Why not? It's basically a Supra platform, and as long as you haven't removed any luxury items and it's been built correct and reliable, what's the difference between a 350rwhp SC and a 650rwhp SC? Just lots more thrust . If you want to build a grand touring type of car, well balanced with power, handling, looks, and luxury, I think that's great, but you can build it with any power level you want, long as the wallet can support it. I want to build an M5-eater also, but it'll just happen to be a GN-eater when called upon to do so. ToyLexMods, been givin' the AllTrac a workout? Haven't 'seen' you in awhile, don't be a stranger.
Oh, and VSsc400, don't forget to get TWO of those gaskets
- Jon
Old 10-16-02 | 01:04 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default By the time you eat make an M5 eater..

By the time you make an M5 eater, the next M5 500hp V-10 will be on the horizon. If you guys are building big power...I'd build it to beat the next generation of cars..not the current.

THAT would be time well spent and money well spent.

the next m5? 0-60 in 4 seconds or less..1/4 mile in the 12s

Quick Reply: Area51 Fabrication Supercharger kit for SC400 release date DEC/02-Jan/03