Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Area51 Fabrication Supercharger kit for SC400 release date DEC/02-Jan/03

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-02, 01:07 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replacement for Displacement is BOOST.
Old 10-16-02, 03:37 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

...neeeeed......mooooooore......boooooost....... (fall out and faint)

BOOST JUNKIES!!!!

It's an eternal search never to end but by reaching the final destination of death itself.

There will never be enough power,... just enough to get by till the next fix, or major highway azzwhoopin.
Old 10-16-02, 03:51 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Lex Luthor

Why not? It's basically a Supra platform, and as long as you haven't removed any luxury items and it's been built correct and reliable, what's the difference between a 350rwhp SC and a 650rwhp SC? Just lots more thrust . If you want to build a grand touring type of car, well balanced with power, handling, looks, and luxury,
Oh, and VSsc400, don't forget to get TWO of those gaskets
- Jon
I meant my lex isn't meant to beat every car out there(for you other junkies, its up to you) like you say I want a fast, lexurious, well balanced touring car. and yup TWO gaskets

Last edited by VSsc400; 10-16-02 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-16-02, 04:14 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: By the time you eat make an M5 eater..

Originally posted by Anthracite SC
By the time you make an M5 eater, the next M5 500hp V-10 will be on the horizon. If you guys are building big power...I'd build it to beat the next generation of cars..not the current.

THAT would be time well spent and money well spent.

the next m5? 0-60 in 4 seconds or less..1/4 mile in the 12s
Building to beat the next-gen M5 is definitely a goal, how much will that car sticker for by the way? And I like boost, if I wanted a V10 i'd have a Viper SRT-10, and I get them for cost, but i'd rather have a boosted Lex. Back to the subject, a Vortech on a 1UZ is going to have to be pushing alot of atmosphere to produce 500 at the crank, you'll definitely have done head gaskets by that point, and you'll basically be experimenting with every upgrade. And as you all know, making major power with a centrifugal blower raises several problems and is hella inefficient, I think with a piggyback and stock compression, the most boost you'll be able to run will be 9-12 lbs tops, which is not going to give you more than 380rwhp or so IMO, so you'll basically have a low 13 sec car, hi 12's with any decent traction, if that's your goal, sounds like the A51 unit is for you. For anything 400rwhp-plus, the turbo'd 2JZ is still the dundata.... I personally believe the 1UZ's heads have more of a tendency to 'walk' on the block, creating greater problems once you start looking for anything over a BAR. Don't forget you'll need a valve body, and you'll want a converter, you can do the LSD later on.
Old 10-16-02, 04:22 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Luther: as usual you hit the nail on the head. LSD will be a must for any of these kits that will be available.
Old 10-17-02, 12:43 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Hey,

Can we please sticky this thread and keep it on top?
Old 10-17-02, 01:56 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Hey Luther,

I personally believe the 1UZ's heads have more of a tendency to 'walk' on the block, creating greater problems once you start looking for anything over a BAR

Would you please clarify "Walk on the Block". I have an extra 1UZ-FE engine in my garage. I am using it as a spare. I am thinking about building a Forged internal.
Old 10-17-02, 02:26 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by healerhand
Hey Luther,

I personally believe the 1UZ's heads have more of a tendency to 'walk' on the block, creating greater problems once you start looking for anything over a BAR

Would you please clarify "Walk on the Block". I have an extra 1UZ-FE engine in my garage. I am using it as a spare. I am thinking about building a Forged internal.
I think this is what's called a crank-walk. Its a problem with some DSM cars. This happens when the crank shaft gives away too much and overplay occurs. begining symptoms would be slipping tranny.... Luthor?
Old 10-17-02, 09:23 PM
outofstep
Driver School Candidate

its when the actual heads start to lift off the block. nothing a cmh and arp studs wont cure
Old 10-17-02, 11:22 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

I don't think studding the heads would be the final solution, IMO it has more to do with the alloy heads and alloy block expanding at different rates, sleeves obviously keep the bores from distorting, but there's really nothing keeping the deck surface from distorting a tiny bit under big-time boost. There are ppl that have put serious atmosphere into the 4.0 though, i'm sure 'DoubleWoosh' will chime in and provide some insight as to potential sealing problems, it's possible i'm being overly cautious, but I think that's always a safe practice in engine-building, let's see some preliminary dyno numbers @ low boost, then we'll know where we're at and can start making projections. Healerhand, the internals are already pretty damn heavy duty, a set of dished pistons and zero gap rings with careful prep of the oe reciprocating assembly should be fine unless you're looking for very serious numbers.
Old 10-17-02, 11:41 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Wouldn't a copper head gasket fix that,or keep it from being a problem?
I'd go for a dry sump,undercut,oversized valves before doing forged internals on one of these motors.
Now that crank walk has been mentioned,I wonder if that'd ever be a problem if I were to install a six speed?
Old 10-17-02, 11:45 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Look at the mains, I don't see it being a problem....
Old 10-18-02, 01:42 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

If the block proves to distort under high boost/power then the 4.7L iron truck block can be built up with forged pistons, rods and possibly a 6 bolt converstion from 2 bolt mains.
Old 10-18-02, 12:22 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Definitely an option, if the 4.0 block does prove strong, i'd rather sleeve it and use a Tundra crank....
Old 10-18-02, 01:19 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

JBrady,

Isnt the 4.0 is 4 bolts main? I opened up the oil pan and noticed 4 bolts on each rod.

Quick Reply: Area51 Fabrication Supercharger kit for SC400 release date DEC/02-Jan/03