Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Aftermarket header CEL problem 2jz-ge

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-13, 09:48 AM
Override
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Candela
I think you should still place the extender on the 3rd o2, because it is still expecting to read 'less' pollution, since there are technically 2 cats before it, and now you only have 1 cat before it.
i would love to .. do you know of an extender that works on flange type .. cause that's been really hard to find

and there is only one cat before the 3rd o2 sensor and the mvp header removed it .. the main cat is right at the Y pipe section
Old 12-18-13, 10:06 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So you have no cat in front of the 3rd o2? IOW, all 3 o2s are before the cat? If so, move the 3rd sensor position to put it after the cat and you will probably be fine.
Old 12-18-13, 10:09 AM
Override
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by stockhatch
So you have no cat in front of the 3rd o2? IOW, all 3 o2s are before the cat? If so, move the 3rd sensor position to put it after the cat and you will probably be fine.
that would require me to extend the 3rd o2 censor back 4 foot and buy a new mid pipe that's not an option
Old 12-18-13, 10:21 AM
Override
Driver School Candidate

this header has been nothing but a burden ... and in earlier posts ppl said they don't get CEL's with this product .. and now I've spent almost 2 times the amount of a replacement stock header .. if i pay for another $700 for mid pipe I basically could have bought a jdm motor and bypassed the header issue entirely not that i can afford that now after spending all my money chasing the CEL's

i don't want to sound like I'm B*tching ... but I'm not made of money and it took this long to get this far .. and i feel I've wasted alot of time and money for something that was supposed to save me money not cost me more
Old 12-18-13, 11:26 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

So you don't have a cat on the car at all? Why would you have to buy a new midpipe?
Old 12-18-13, 11:34 AM
Override
Driver School Candidate

So you don't have a cat on the car at all? Why would you have to buy a new midpipe?
Originally Posted by Override
only the pre cat from the OEM header was removed due to the install of the MVP header .. the cat in the mid pipe is brand new (recently replaced) and the 3rd o2 censor is in this stock location and was replaced with the mid pipe but is still a flange type o2 censor

basicly the whole mid pipe was completly reconstructed to OEM specs .. the original had more holes then swiss cheese
i did not remove the cat from the mid pipe its brand new plz read the posts before you answer
Old 12-18-13, 12:05 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

i did not remove the cat from the mid pipe its brand new plz read the posts before you answer
I thought not, so please explain why you would have to buy a new midpipe. This is a $20 dollar fix, and you are crying about it like a little girl. Buy a $10 bung, a few feet of wire and fix it, or keep crying.
Old 12-18-13, 12:06 PM
arcvette
Driver School Candidate

Default really?

Ya, I know absolutely nothing about Lexus cars, so my bad for posting, I just feel bad for Override for having so many people either a) not looking at the previous forum posts saying EVERYTHING that has been done to the car so far, or b) going OMG NO CAT AT ALL?????WTF DUDE

please ppl.. if you're gonna respond, at least read the commentary first? It might help avoid so many reposts of the same info...
Old 12-18-13, 12:12 PM
Override
Driver School Candidate

I thought not, so please explain why you would have to buy a new midpipe. This is a $20 dollar fix, and you are crying about it like a little girl. Buy a $10 bung, a few feet of wire and fix it, or keep crying.
no its not a 20 dollar fix.. thats just the price for the bung only .. it involves o2 extension cable and i haven't see one for 4-5 feet (estimated cost $250 for a 2 foot extention) ... and if you remove the o2 sensor you have to fill what you have removed ($80 per hour labor) .. and move the cat forward (extra labor) ... witch means new mid pipe(cause everything moved) .. and thats another $700(in addition to the above price) ... if you dont believe me ill scan the receipt .. so .. how about you read and know what your talking about before you start calling ppl out as a "crying little girl"
Old 12-18-13, 12:17 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

O2 sensors use regular wire. It's not special in any way. So go buy some non-$250 dollar wire. Do not move the cat, and find another shop to do your welding. Any flunky at Midas can weld in an o2 bung. I am presenting easy solutions to a problem that should have been resolved YEARS ago. Stop talking about what can't be done, and go make it happen. Drive your car to Southport NC and I will fix it for WAY less than $950.
Old 12-18-13, 12:27 PM
Override
Driver School Candidate

O2 sensors use regular wire. It's not special in any way. So go buy some non-$250 dollar wire. Do not move the cat, and find another shop to do your welding. Any flunky at Midas can weld in an o2 bung. I am presenting easy solutions to a problem that should have been resolved YEARS ago. Stop talking about what can't be done, and go make it happen. Drive your car to Southport NC and I will fix it for WAY less than $950.
i want something that will pass state inspections .. the flunkies at midas is what forced me to pay someone else to fab a mid pipe .. and i think I've spent enough time explaining myself and after 2 years no one has come up with a real answer if this is the kind of help i get from owners are redundant answers because ppl don't read previous posts .. im just going to throw away the MVP header i appreciate the first page of posters cause they actually tried but if this is what i can expect ill just leave

this kind of hostility is unnecessary
Old 12-18-13, 12:36 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Nothing will technically pass state inspections unless it is OE, or approved OE replacement, so your header pretty much makes that a non option. I read all of your past posts, and none of them indicated an emissions compliant fix attempt. I'm being hostile because you accused me of not reading your posts when in fact, I had. Having to buy a new midpipe did not, and still does not, need to be part of a solution to your cel. If you want emissions compliance, go buy stock parts. If you want the cel to go away, do what I suggested.
Old 12-18-13, 12:51 PM
Override
Driver School Candidate

Nothing will technically pass state inspections unless it is OE, or approved OE replacement, so your header pretty much makes that a non option. I read all of your past posts, and none of them indicated an emissions compliant fix attempt. I'm being hostile because you accused me of not reading your posts when in fact, I had. Having to buy a new midpipe did not, and still does not, need to be part of a solution to your cel. If you want emissions compliance, go buy stock parts. If you want the cel to go away, do what I suggested.
local exhaust shops want to charge me $700 to play musical chairs with my pipping and install a cat (i dont want to do this if possible)
Toyota told me the error was from unbalanced Exhaust
the shop that fab'd the new mid pipe wanted to rule out the unballanced exhaust by replacing the mid pipe that was full of holes and crappy patches, including a hole right before the 3rd o2 censor (brought to you by the friendly flunkies at Midas)

i did not say that you specifically where not paying attention to posts .. i was making a general response ... if you had read all the redundant posts you would have noticed that

Originally Posted by arcvette
Ya, I know absolutely nothing about Lexus cars, so my bad for posting, I just feel bad for Override for having so many people either a) not looking at the previous forum posts saying EVERYTHING that has been done to the car so far, or b) going OMG NO CAT AT ALL?????WTF DUDE

please ppl.. if you're gonna respond, at least read the commentary first? It might help avoid so many reposts of the same info...
apparently im not the only one that sees this pattern
Old 12-18-13, 01:01 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

*sigh* Okay, carry on. Your car can't be fixed for less than $950. Sucks to be you.
Old 12-18-13, 01:07 PM
Override
Driver School Candidate

*sigh* Okay, carry on. Your car can't be fixed for less than $950. Sucks to be you.
how about stop wasting forum space and let someone else try some constructive advice .. even I'm sick of re-quoting myself

unless you want to keep calling me names cause I'm sure that makes you feel cool

Quick Reply: Aftermarket header CEL problem 2jz-ge