Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ squeaked and died and now wont start!! Video inside!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-11, 08:28 PM
stillfly45
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy 1JZ squeaked and died and now wont start!! Video inside!!

Well ive been troubleshooting my car for the last couple of days. The car randomly died on me after making a loud squeak while driving out of a parking lot. I immediately re-started the car and it ran for a few seconds before making another loud squeak and then dieing again. Since then it hasnt started.

It sounded like the battery was dead so we obviously tried to jump the car but that didnt work. This is what happened.

So after getting the car towed to my house, i decided to take the battery out and get it tested and it turned out that there was a bad cell and the battery had 0 CCA, so i bought another battery put it in and still no start. I then knew it had to be fuel or spark. I started with the spark plugs and found them to be in pretty rough condition. They were burnt at the ends and were slightly wet with gas. To me that meant fuel probably wasnt the issue. Especially since i hear the fuel pump on. I bought new spark plugs, changed them out and still no start. I wasnt able to check for spark due to it being late and dark, but i plan on doing it tomorrow.

Heres what it sounded like after the new battery and spark plugs. Also the cranking you hear/see in the videos gets weaker and weaker with every try. Does that mean something? SN: Yes i was desperate trying to jump a brand new battery lol

So at the end of this, I know Im early in the diagnostic process but I wanted to put a video up just in case someone has had a similar problem to mine and can fast track this process. So assuming I have no spark, what should be my next check? Crank postion sensor?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-29-11, 08:45 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Sorry bout your car, use the engine forum please. Crank sensor, then ECU in that order.

Moved.
Old 12-29-11, 10:55 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stillfly45
Also the cranking you hear/see in the videos gets weaker and weaker with every try. Does that mean something?
Sounds like the battery draining after trying to kick over the engine too many times.

I'd check the CPS first, maybe try the igniter as well? What were you trying to diagnose when it happened?
Old 12-30-11, 04:08 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CPS would be a place to start, but first confirm that it has no spark before doing anything.
Old 12-31-11, 07:52 AM
stillfly45
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLK13X

I'd check the CPS first, maybe try the igniter as well? What were you trying to diagnose when it happened?
I just tried jumping it when it happened. The parking lot were it died was busy and the manager at the store was being an azz telling me i need to get it out of there asap.

I have read that it i can use a multimeter to test to the CPS out. Does anyone know what resistance it needs to be?