Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help SC400 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-12, 04:22 PM
SQ400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help SC400 Problems

Ok I will try and make this quick.

93 SC400

First I was having issue with it not making any power. I replace plugs, injectors, cap and rotors. It turned out to be the driver's side coil. She ran fine after that.

Drove her down to my moms house about 20 miles away and she ran great like new. I started her the other morning and she was running fine. For some reason I popped the hood and I notice the hose going to the thermostat housing had came off. So i replace it add some coolant and me and my son was going to his game. I notice a knock as he was driving, then I notice she was running hot.

So we stop and called his mom and ask her bring me some more coolant. So came like 30 mins later and I want maybe another 25 mins and added the coolant. Temp gauge went down. So we head on out and about 20 mins later it ran hot again, but no knocking this time, but a boat load of steam, which at first thought was smoke, but it was steam. I thought I had blown a head gasket.

left at a BP came back about 3 hours later and got it drove it and drove prefect on lost of power, but it started to run hot again so drove to a near by friends house let it cool off for about 3 hours I remove the thermostat and drove it back to my moms on the way there man the steam was crazy coming from the bay. Come to find out it was coming from the thermostat housing it was not sealed.

So I search on here and ask around and it seem to be a the water pump. I check my oil and it didn't look like chocolate milk and drove and ran perfect just ran hot so everyone said it was the head gasket ( could they be wrong).

So decided to replace the water pump again. As I just replace it in May of last year and did the timing at the sometime. So remove the water pump returned it, got a new temp sensor, engine belt and a new timing belt.

Now here is where it the next problem starts and where i'm at now. I O the crank out before taken it all apart. Once a part all the marks where on point. remove the timing belt and remove the water pump. Replace the water pump and the timing belt. Turned the crank to full rotations and the marks line back up.

Put it all back together and start the car it ran a bit rough also most like it did when the coil was bad. Then i gave it a little gas and she act like she want to die and a sound like the belt was squeaking started and she died. But I jump out and look at the engine a small amount of smoke came from the area where the large pulley that is next to the A/C compressor. So i thought the timing must be off took it apart and did it all over again. Back together and the same result. Squeaking sound a bit louder and shut off and a puff of smoke from the same area.

I sure I done the timing right been there done that when done it last May. Since done it last may have put about 18,000 miles on her so it was done right. Someone said the water pump may have locked up, what you guys think? Now she will not start. O and start was replace a month before the water pump and timing was done.

Sorry so long not so quick

PLEASE HELP.
Old 01-03-12, 04:40 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

You don't have a lot of anything in that area except the ground, did you put the ground back on? Not that it's the whole issue, but did ya? I'd take a shot at feeling the lower right pulley on the timing belt for rough spinning.

Here's pics of the area incase anyone wants to take a shot at figuring........

Old 01-03-12, 04:45 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

To assure the timing is dead on, pull the number one plug wire. Its the first one on the right side of the motor looking a it from the front. Make sure you can see the piston and its flush against the head. Then relook at your marks, if it is a tad bid off, it will run, but prolly rough. Like mine did. I had it 180 degrees off, the third and final time I did it right. GL
Old 01-03-12, 04:53 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Actually he could have the distributor cap 180 out on on of the cams.
Old 01-03-12, 05:17 PM
SQ400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Actually he could have the distributor cap 180 out on on of the cams.
Hmmmm explain in more detail please. How would I know this?
Old 01-04-12, 09:17 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Only one fish for you, learn to search. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...lp-needed.html