Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Please help, rack & pinion, PS pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-12, 10:45 PM
SCsonne
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help, rack & pinion, PS pump

got into an accident a few days ago with my 96 sc400, after the crash engine was making a strange humming high pitch sound. Also when turning the wheel it made a grinding sound, power steering fluid also came bursting out when the car is on, if cap is taken of.

i took it to the shop and was told i needed to replace the rack and pinion, the owner told me that this would fix all the problems and that if it didnt i might also need a new power steering pump. I was told it would cost $600 for a new rack and pinion and about $300 for pump.

i thought that this was quite expensive and went home and did some Google searching, i found a site that sells them for pretty cheap and was wondering if these are actually the things i need since am unsure on what these items look like and if they would fit. Also has any1 brought from this site before or have used the A1 cardone brand?

http://www.theautopartsshop.com/auto...lete-unit.html

http://www.theautopartsshop.com/auto...ing-pump.html#
Old 01-14-12, 06:53 AM
BenStoked
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going to get a reman, get one locally at a chain store. most offer lifetime warranty. It's security in case the people who reassembled it put it back together wrong (had that happen before), or put them in the wrong box, (had that happen too).

Does the shop you took the car to know there was an "accident"? you may want to get the car checked for other areas that could have been damaged, as well.
Old 01-15-12, 09:29 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The gasket kit for the power steering pump is $16.10. I bought one from a member last week which, it turns out, needs a rebuild. I installed it on my car and the turning was even heavier than with the one I was trying to avoid rebuliding so I know this one needs to be redone. It includes the bracket, pump, pulley, & reservoir and it could be yours for $50 shipped!