Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Getting tired of this

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-12, 04:56 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont believe it is your valve stem seals as i have seen posted in here a few different times.

valve stem seals show up as a puff of smoke on start up or with your foot off the gas coming down a hill and as u get to the bottom and you step on the gas you will also see another puff of smoke.

your are still smelling coolant in the exhaust because there is/might be coolant still in the exhaust (not sure of how long ur car has been back together) OR you might have a small crack that goes away as the engine warms up and the engine expands, pushing something in a particular way to seal the crack.

as stated above check compression and a cylinder leakdown wouldnt hurt either while you are in there while doing the leakdown if you see bubbles in the coolant you know you have a problem. also i would do a colling system pressure test at cold temp and also with an operating temp (USE COMMON SENSE WHEN TESTING AT OPERATING TEMP DO NOT REMOVE THE RAD CAP IN ONE SWIFT TURN!!!!)

when you have those results one of us will be able to help better diagnose your issue
Old 01-19-12, 10:11 PM
mdmaniac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd suspect a cracked head, since the problem goes away once warm. Bad seals or head gasket would more likely show up constantly since the rubber seals don't expand as much as metal does. When you replaced your head gasket etc, did you send the head to get x-ray and machined? If you didn't, then that's almost certainly the problem. The good news is that you can keep driving like that for a good while before your engine blows up. Probably best to get the head checked and machined now, though.
Old 01-20-12, 01:01 AM
copermn
Rookie

^^^ that's what i'm thinking too. and I did have my head sent off to a machine shop my dad has been going for like 30 years. we trust them big time and he said there was nothing wrong with it. But when I checked my oil today I saw the milky residue on the dipstick and I could smell coolant.

Needless to say I left the car with my dad to try and figure it out and I got a ride from my gf back to college. I'm probably just going to sell it now sadly :/ I can't be having these sort of huge problems.

Oh and I put this all together in like September. And it worked flawlessly for a Looong time, until it got cold out then it went fubar.
Old 01-21-12, 01:41 AM
mdmaniac
Driver School Candidate

What year / engine / trans you running??? Illinois, huh?....
Old 01-21-12, 04:19 AM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mdmaniac
What year / engine / trans you running??? Illinois, huh?....
I think its a 94 or 95. Stock 2j auto trans hundred some thousand miles white with a tan interior.
Old 01-22-12, 05:36 PM
copermn
Rookie

yeah it's a 1995, with the stock 2jz with the auto trans. Has less than 150,000 miles on it.
Old 01-23-12, 08:54 PM
ISFFUN
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I got one of these at autozone for $30.. may help you.

http://www.amazon.com/UVIEW-560000-C.../dp/B000NPDL76
Old 01-23-12, 09:02 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 109 Likes on 85 Posts

post a video of the smoke so we can see it
Old 01-24-12, 06:50 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you said you just replaced the studs and the head gasket...are you sure it is torqued correctly? Have you checked them? It might not be on tight enough to keep HG compressed when cold but when it warms up it expands enough...
Old 01-31-12, 11:07 AM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I lost coolant for the better part of two years before doing the headgasket but I NEVER HAD any contamination in the oil. You were right not to drive it.
Old 01-31-12, 03:49 PM
copermn
Rookie

well i left the car with my dad when i left to go back to college, last weekend he went to our machinist to get some block repair stuff that you put into the cooling system and let it run.

guess what?

the stuff worked. The car doesn't smoke anymore and runs great apparently. And apparently the disappearing coolant doesn't happen anymore, if anything its just a VERY little amount. So yeah..
Old 02-01-12, 06:53 AM
slappy96
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What type of head gasket was put on it? OEM?
Old 02-01-12, 08:01 AM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What was the reason the head gasket was replaced for? Was the block decked? Any imperfection can lead to more issues. Was proper torquing sequence used? What head gasket?
Old 02-01-12, 01:22 PM
copermn
Rookie

It was an OEM head gasket, with ARP head studs. And yes I used the proper torque sequence. I looked it up on multiple sites/areas to make sure it was correct and I torqued them correctly and triple checked it to make sure. I cleaned off the block and made sure it was leveled. The head was sent to our machinist who decked it, cleaned it, and made sure it was ok. Car ran great for a while then that happened.

but with the coolant fixer, it fixed the leaking problem.
just hope it stays that way.
Old 02-01-12, 01:48 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by copermn

but with the coolant fixer, it fixed the leaking problem.
just hope it stays that way.
It won't. What they did was a temporary solution and nothing more. Fix the actual problem.

Quick Reply: Getting tired of this