Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2JZGTE VVTi swap help please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-12, 02:38 PM
KonThai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2JZGTE VVTi swap help please!

Hi,

My friend is doing 2jzgte vvti swap from aristo with auto ecu and auto harness into his Nissan S14 with R154.
The car starts and idle is fine, but there's no throttle response when pushing the gas pedal.
We haven't bypassed the neutral switch yet, should it be the issue?
Can somebody please tell me which pins on the autobox plugs I'll need to make a jumper? I would be more than happy if I can get a picture
Or if any other ideas?
Old 01-24-12, 07:04 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

remember the VVTi is DBW so that may be his problem..
Old 01-25-12, 04:48 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does he have a MAF meter? If so, did it come with the swap and is he sure it is the correct part number?
Old 01-25-12, 07:18 AM
KonThai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Does he have a MAF meter? If so, did it come with the swap and is he sure it is the correct part number?
Yes, he got the right MAF with the green sticker and part# 22204-46010.
I got the same swap into my IS200 but with V161 and motor from Supra. Everything works great.

From what I can see at the wiring diagram, the supra and aristo have the same throttle mechanism.
The engine revs when doing this manually by taking off the black cover where the TPS is located.
This make no sense
Old 01-25-12, 07:22 AM
KonThai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
remember the VVTi is DBW so that may be his problem..
I've tried to google it but it's any way to convert to fly by wire without huge modifications and $$$?
Old 01-25-12, 07:36 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

See you have the same swap in your IS300 and it's working great because the IS300 from the factory uses DBW.
So i think that's your issue right there!!

I know you will need the pedal from a car that has DBW because the pedal has the sensor on it.
Old 01-25-12, 09:23 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah you seem to be missing the whole pedal ecu thing that talks to the throttle body.
You can revert to a previous non DBW throttle body (custom work), but you may loose some other stuff like trac and cruise control and stuff, along with some likely cel's to deal with, there is definitely a write up on the IS forums about the throttle body stuff.
You probably just need the pedal assembly and some wiring, I would just get the part you need to fix it the workaround is not an easy one.
Old 01-25-12, 01:37 PM
KonThai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
yeah you seem to be missing the whole pedal ecu thing that talks to the throttle body.
You can revert to a previous non DBW throttle body (custom work), but you may loose some other stuff like trac and cruise control and stuff, along with some likely cel's to deal with, there is definitely a write up on the IS forums about the throttle body stuff.
You probably just need the pedal assembly and some wiring, I would just get the part you need to fix it the workaround is not an easy one.
Thanks for the information Ali!

Do you have the link to the write ups? I can't find it by searching.
It's a drift car so we don't need the trac, cruise etc as well
Old 01-25-12, 01:37 PM
KonThai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
See you have the same swap in your IS300 and it's working great because the IS300 from the factory uses DBW.
So i think that's your issue right there!!

I know you will need the pedal from a car that has DBW because the pedal has the sensor on it.
Thanks for the info
Old 01-25-12, 03:46 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KonThai
Thanks for the information Ali!

Do you have the link to the write ups? I can't find it by searching.
It's a drift car so we don't need the trac, cruise etc as well
Well here is some info I found,
http://my.is/forums/f114/all-you-aristo-guys-347099/
the aristo and IS300 throttle body plugs are the same, so you should be able to complete your setup in the s14 by adding in all the missing parts from an IS300, like the gas pedal assembly.
I am not sure if there is a seperate ecu or its wired straight to the engine ECU. hopefully its just to the engine ecu cause you probably didnt get the dash harness from an aristo, so you will have to make your own wiring or borrow it from an IS300. With the right diagram, you should be able to wire it yourself easily.

On the other hand, if its a drift car, you may want to look into converting to the older style of throttle body simply for throttle response. If you aren't concerned about the trac/cruise/emissions stuff and just want to drift it, then it may be easier to retrofit an older 2jzgte throttle body onto it. If the vvti doesnt have an IACV then you would have to add that too.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-25-12 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-25-12, 04:11 PM
KonThai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Well here is some info I found,
http://my.is/forums/f114/all-you-aristo-guys-347099/
the aristo and IS300 throttle body plugs are the same, so you should be able to complete your setup in the s14 by adding in all the missing parts from an IS300, like the gas pedal assembly.
I am not sure if there is a seperate ecu or its wired straight to the engine ECU. hopefully its just to the engine ecu cause you probably didnt get the dash harness from an aristo, so you will have to make your own wiring or borrow it from an IS300. With the right diagram, you should be able to wire it yourself easily.

On the other hand, if its a drift car, you may want to look into converting to the older style of throttle body simply for throttle response. If you aren't concerned about the trac/cruise/emissions stuff and just want to drift it, then it may be easier to retrofit an older 2jzgte throttle body onto it. If the vvti doesnt have an IACV then you would have to add that too.
Ali,
Thanks again for great info!
Old 05-05-13, 11:16 AM
Brohan
Driver School Candidate

i know this thread is old, but I'm running into the same problem.

swap into the s13 (stock chassis harness removed) with a custom chassis harness.
the throttle is still control by a cable, that sends a signal to the ecu then a signal is sent to the throttle body motor and it opens.

i think when doing this swap the way we are doing them something is make the throttle body not function, i hear it click on or something like that but when i try and open it noting happens.

i don't think you need a pedal from a lexus because i've seen this swap done on old tacomas still using all factory parts and they work just fine. even on youtube you can find some being started on a engine stand hardwired (i did this too) and no issues. so something on the wiring needs to me fix so that the throttle body doesn't go into fail/safe mode.
Did you get this issue resolve?

Last edited by Brohan; 05-05-13 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-06-13, 01:25 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I think they somehow mod it to actually work with the cable, removing dbw.
I haven't heard of exactly what it takes to make all the dbw work it could be as easy as running some wires or may need extra parts.
Old 03-30-15, 07:54 PM
Monterrey
Driver School Candidate

Default tps 2jzgte vvti

Ive the same problem in my car, I eliminate the electronic stuff, but when I put the gas pedal on the floor I feel my car is underperfomance, I use atomatic tranny, what can I do for fix my problem the TPS sensor is move by cable.
Please give me your advice for fix my issue.
thanks
Old 04-02-15, 12:50 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use a non-vvti intake manifold and throttle body

Quick Reply: 2JZGTE VVTi swap help please!