Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Rebuild my 2J or put in a 1J?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-12, 07:27 AM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chingpo05
in reality the 2jz's are built equal in my eyes other than the minor differences in bolt pattern, interchangeability, compression, etc. when you want a reliable motor you really want to look at a good maintenance, the correct mods to match each setup and a "GOOD TUNE". i will change my mind in which one is stronger once someone does a tensil strength test/ stretch test on ge and gte rods/ pistons/bolts/etc. other than what ive said i have seen high power numbers in both motors and also failures in both. to the op i would just buy a used ge and work with it since theyre so cheap and plentiful. i dont ever see myself downgrading from a 3.0 to a 2.5 even though the 1j is faster but thats comparing apples and oranges since one is NA and the other is FI. on the same playing field both being boosted i think 2j would dominate in power and cost
I think someone has done it comparing of the vvti Ge and gte blocks and if I remember correctly the vvti was the one with noticeable differences... Idk I would just search it up...

But other then that I'm totally with what he said....
Old 02-05-12, 08:33 PM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD954BOI
I think someone has done it comparing of the vvti Ge and gte blocks and if I remember correctly the vvti was the one with noticeable differences... Idk I would just search it up...

But other then that I'm totally with what he said....
there have been to many failures known by vvti ge motors so i wouldnt even dare to go past the transmissions limits which are what? 3-400 max
Old 02-05-12, 11:00 PM
NaturalJZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same kinda mind set as you man.. IF i were in your shoes/situation and had the funds, I would upgrade whats broken, get it honed and new rings, maybe some crank rods for the rebuild, then turbo it (with a ffim and standalone if $ permit).

And like others said, I'd baby it til u get a beefier tranny if needed for power numbers desired. save money for tranny and lsd

But i would not go to a 1jz swap cause you run the risk of the same thing happening again, a bearing go bad or worse. This one you got a reason to start fresh
Old 02-05-12, 11:13 PM
Nickmyo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soarer13oy
I think you should look for another ge block, replace the gaskets, seals, piston rings, and oil pump and call it a day. Would be cheaper, plus you can use the rest of the $ to turbo charge the ge and cross off turbo kit on your signature.
this ^ i say it is the best thing