Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Coolant loss is driving me crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-12, 01:50 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After the cap released the third time, the small hose that connects just below the upper radiator hose on the driver's side of the block hissed. Oops. Shortened it an inch and replaced the clamp.
Old 02-08-12, 01:51 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

On the next pressurization the back end of the upper radiator hose hissed. Crumbs!
Old 02-08-12, 01:54 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Tightened clamp and re-pressurized. Holds 22 psi. It goes down to 20 psi in 2:19. That is probably because I am using an old bicycle pump with an integrated gauge. Does that sound good to you guys? Thanks!
Old 02-08-12, 06:30 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Better, faster, cheaper...when I disconnected the hose earlier I splashed dye everywhere. I will have to clean the engine to obtain any more feedback from the dye. The engine seems to be using a lot less coolant, maybe none at all. I created a dip stick for the overflow tank and will check it after each trip over the next couple of days. Thanks again, everyone, for your help and suggestions.
Old 02-10-12, 05:03 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Bloody beast is still losing coolant! There is nothing under on the epoxy floor in the morning. The pressure test revealed a couple of issues with 20+ lbs of pressure but even those have been resolved. Suggestions?
Old 02-12-12, 01:03 AM
norcal2jz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would pressure test it..and your head might also be cracked if you didnt pressure test the head when it was off the block....

p.s
you should port the head and install arp head studs while your down there if you get a chance and are perhaps setting up for a turbo...
Old 05-21-12, 10:10 AM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Cool

Originally Posted by norcal2jz
I would pressure test it..and your head might also be cracked if you didnt pressure test the head when it was off the block....

p.s
you should port the head and install arp head studs while your down there if you get a chance and are perhaps setting up for a turbo...
I am still waiting on the new decked head to arrive. Yes, three months later. In the meantime the car has mostly been down because it would not start. It turned out the timing belt had slipped. I remembered this problem when I backed the car out of the garage and saw all of the dyed coolant in the drain pan I had left under the car. I will report back when I get the new head and install it.
Old 05-21-12, 12:28 PM
GamblerZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 quart every 25 miles should be quite noticeable. You might want to consider removing the hood, borrowing a friend's GoPro camera and mount it so you have full view where the coolant has puddle. More than likely it is occurring while you are in boost (I am assuming you are boosted since you mentioned 2JZ).

If I had to venture a wild guess, whenever you are going to boost the head could be lifting ever so slightly allowing the coolant to leak (or blow) out.
Old 05-30-12, 09:14 AM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Cool

Originally Posted by GamblerZ
1 quart every 25 miles should be quite noticeable. You might want to consider removing the hood, borrowing a friend's GoPro camera and mount it so you have full view where the coolant has puddle. More than likely it is occurring while you are in boost (I am assuming you are boosted since you mentioned 2JZ).

If I had to venture a wild guess, whenever you are going to boost the head could be lifting ever so slightly allowing the coolant to leak (or blow) out.
No boost but I still like your idea. Perhaps my new bolts stretched and need to be retorqued which I could see using your method before peeling down to the head. I may just use the mount I already have for my cell phone which I can adapt for the purpose (it is time to upgrade from my EVO anyway).

Thank you for the suggestion.

Kind regards,
Wade
Old 05-31-12, 07:22 AM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Torqued 'em! Seems to have solved the issue. I am going to keep an eye on it. So far, so good.
Thank you,
Wade