Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Coolant loss is driving me crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-12, 08:07 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow Coolant loss is driving me crazy!

I have to find the leak! I am losing about a quart every 25 miles. No white smoke. New head gasket and bolts (properly torqued).

I thought it was a lot of things and replaced them. HG, radiator, upper and lower hoses, upper coolant sensor, etc. This continued AFTER I replaced the radiator and head gasket.

The dye test shows pooling by the driver's side engine mount and some small drips down that side of the engine below the intake manifold. It looked like the lower coolant temperature sensor (single wire) was leaking some but not enough to explain the drip down the side of the engine and pooling by the driver's side motor mount. I replaced it anyway.

I have searched the Forums for "coolant loss" and would love to hear anyone's suggestions.

It may or may not be related but the check engine light keeps coming on after being reset. It takes about 10 miles of city and 40 miles of highway driving to trip it. Actually, 40 miles is the limit of what I have driven before getting off the highway so it might go longer.

Again, loss is about a quart every 25 miles. Hence, the 40 mile trip limit.
Old 02-06-12, 08:09 PM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you get your head pressure tested when it was off the block?
Old 02-06-12, 11:07 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

Maybe a hole in one of the coolant lines, or unsecure. I know theres a hose going from the throttle body to the engine block on the drivers side.
Old 02-07-12, 06:38 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

best way to find the leak(s) is to pressure test the system
Old 02-07-12, 04:02 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Default Coolant leak - the saga continues

The only DTC the car is throwing is 71, EGR Malfunction. Could this be related to the coolant leak? If so, how?

This is the driver's side of the engine toward the rear. In the top and bottom pictures one can see the cast "2JZ". The second picture is looking at the side of the engine near the starter (canister in foreground). The third picture is peaking under the intake manifold (which makes it look a lot like a head gasket leak but which may be deceiving). In the fourth picture I do not see any evidence of coolant dripping from the hose. That hose continues to the bottom of the upper radiator attachment point. {FYI - The thermostat is not in that housing on the 2JZ. The thermostat is on the passenger's side by the water pump.}

Short of taking off the intake manifold...what should I do next?
Attached Thumbnails Coolant loss is driving me crazy!-imag0462.jpg   Coolant loss is driving me crazy!-imag0476.jpg   Coolant loss is driving me crazy!-imag0473.jpg   Coolant loss is driving me crazy!-imag0464.jpg   Coolant loss is driving me crazy!-imag0460.jpg  

Old 02-07-12, 04:05 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chingpo05
That is a really good suggestion. My brother always wants to know, "If you don't have time to do it right the first time; how are you going to find time to do it right the second time?" Guilty. Again.

No, I did not have it pressure tested when it was just sitting there. Since I now own two heads, I have the opportunity to test the replacement before I install it - if it comes to that.
Old 02-07-12, 04:21 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by soarer13oy
Maybe a hole in one of the coolant lines, or unsecure. I know theres a hose going from the throttle body to the engine block on the drivers side.
I missed reconnecting one of those securely the last time through. I will check them shortly but they were definitely on my check list this time.

Last edited by WadeLovell; 02-08-12 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-07-12, 04:22 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nova
Suggestions on were to find the appropriate procedure for our cars?

Thanks in advance,
Wade
Old 02-07-12, 05:25 PM
SleeperTTz
Rookie

Where are the freeze plugs on our blocks. I haven't had my motor out yet but If all else fails look and see if you have a freeze plug leaking.
Old 02-07-12, 07:51 PM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

they are directly on the middle of our blocks on each cylinder
Old 02-08-12, 07:40 AM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SleeperTTz
Where are the freeze plugs on our blocks. I haven't had my motor out yet but If all else fails look and see if you have a freeze plug leaking.
I can see coolant collected on the port (driver's side) freeze plug but, based on the drip pattern, it does not appear to me to be the source.
Old 02-08-12, 07:44 AM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Nova
I will do the pressure test this morning if I can get out of the office. I found the inflation needle for an exercise ball which will fit nicely into a hose. I will pull off the overflow hose at the top of the neck under the radiator cap, put a golf tee in the disconnected end so the overflow tank does not drain, and pump away. I think my air compressor is going to be too loud for me to hear any air escaping so I will probably use a hand pump or a compression tank instead.

Last edited by WadeLovell; 02-08-12 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Spelling due to phone keyboard.
Old 02-08-12, 07:45 AM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chingpo05
The spare head I purchased has already been decked. I will have it pressure tested when it arrives.
Old 02-08-12, 01:46 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Just finished pressure test and I am out for a test drive.
Old 02-08-12, 01:47 PM
WadeLovell
Lead Lap

Pressure test: new radiator cap releases at 23 psi.

Last edited by WadeLovell; 02-08-12 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Spelling on telephone keyboard suffers from fat fingers.

Quick Reply: Coolant loss is driving me crazy!