Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

going turbo for cheap

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-12, 08:53 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

turbocharging a nonturbo engine isn't cheap at all. it will cost u 1500 minimum. and i dont think that includes tuning.
Old 02-08-12, 08:54 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lilnado
sc300 is stock 225k miles runing full synthetic it is babied and horse power range im lookin for 350-500 at the most
Honestly, with that budget I would get some suspension and exhaust. Maybe even do maintenance to make sure the SC is perfect before boosting. Keep it simple for now and driveable so that you can save for a single kit/ems. It will also give you time to do research and really get to know the car you have better. That way you can have a plan of action.
Old 02-08-12, 09:18 PM
lilnado
Rookie

Originally Posted by 4urxtc
Honestly, with that budget I would get some suspension and exhaust. Maybe even do maintenance to make sure the SC is perfect before boosting. Keep it simple for now and driveable so that you can save for a single kit/ems. It will also give you time to do research and really get to know the car you have better. That way you can have a plan of action.
im gonna go with what that i mean i make 4.50 an hour new job ill do it right
Old 02-08-12, 11:30 PM
japspec
Lexus Test Driver

I got a intercooler and some piping if your interested for sale to help you out if your piecing together your kit.
Old 02-08-12, 11:34 PM
lilnado
Rookie

Originally Posted by japspec
I got a intercooler and some piping if your interested for sale to help you out if your piecing together your kit.
inbox me a price
Old 02-09-12, 12:56 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

sc300 is stock 225k miles runing full synthetic it is babied and horse power range im lookin for 350-500 at the most
225k, babied ever since you had it. You probably bought the car with 200kish on it huh? I'm pretty sure they've gun it and beaten it before you owned it. I'm glad you decided against the turbo, but just do maintenance, if you do boost get a compression test.
Old 02-09-12, 01:01 AM
lilnado
Rookie

Originally Posted by sc300jz
225k, babied ever since you had it. You probably bought the car with 200kish on it huh? I'm pretty sure they've gun it and beaten it before you owned it. I'm glad you decided against the turbo, but just do maintenance, if you do boost get a compression test.
im thinking of pulling a 2j from a junk yard and just rebuild it with low compression pistons and cams and stuff and do the same to ole reliable here
Old 02-09-12, 01:03 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

im thinking of pulling a 2j from a junk yard and just rebuild it with low compression pistons and cams and stuff and do the same to ole reliable here
Thats good to hear, thats gonna set you back another 2k to do a full rebuild. Then you won't want to run a cheapass turbo kit on a nicely built motor. By that time your probably in the 4-5k range, might as well a 2jzgte
Old 02-09-12, 01:08 AM
lilnado
Rookie

Thats good to hear, thats gonna set you back another 2k to do a full rebuild. Then you won't want to run a cheapass turbo kit on a nicely built motor. By that time your probably in the 4-5k range, might as well a 2jzgte
yea right now i deliver pizzas for a living making 4 something an hour plus tips so yea only reason for that is cause im in school to trying to get my GED im one of those people who can hold their money lol that's how i bought my sc so when i get a better job it wont take me long to accumulate the money for a good setup.
Old 02-09-12, 05:24 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Save your money , and do it right!! weight your options , search on here to see what works and what doesn't.
"broke" and na-t do not mix trust me. And $1200 will not cut it , because things adds up really quick you will go from $1200 to $3500 in no time .
Again "search" and it will help you decide make the right decision.

GL on whatever you decide to do!!!
Old 02-09-12, 05:55 AM
BeansIS
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You can go boost for sub $1,500. I'm not saying it will be a race setup or of the highest quality. Xs turbo kits are fine, the generic china turbo and wastegate are the scary parts. 300-350 you can run an safc. Again it won't be a top notch setup.

The only thing I see throwing you off on your budget, the headgasket/studs and the labor if u don't know how to do it. You'll looking at 500 in labor and $400 parts. Roughly.

The generic turbos that come with xs power I have seen last from a tunning session and turbo went to about a couple of months. In that time frame I would recommend you save for a quality turbo.

Save for a garrett 60-1 it can be found new or rebuilt for roughly around $500. As long as the wastage is not being beat to Hell. Continue to save for a tial... Most of our shop cars have tials and they ate great both in price and quality.

This "turbo" game is not cheap whichever way u really look at it. If you pop something, your off the bat goig to be looking at $1,000 to spend.

Get the xs kit, don't put it on. Buy a garrett or precision turbo and a quality wastegate. Head gasket and studs and run about 8-10lbs. If money allows at that time get a real ems atleast an e-manage blue or map ecu

Last thing is Cheap boost & reliability can never be put in a sentence, like i just did lol

Boom.

Last edited by BeansIS; 02-09-12 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-09-12, 04:23 PM
yausito
Rookie

Maybe you could just go 1jzgte. Which is cheaper than 2jzgte and run stock Ecu for now
Ps. You are lokking about 2 to 3k in this setup
Old 02-10-12, 12:46 AM
lilnado
Rookie

Originally Posted by yausito
Maybe you could just go 1jzgte. Which is cheaper than 2jzgte and run stock Ecu for now
Ps. You are lokking about 2 to 3k in this setup
i have emissions where i live so no go on swap
Old 02-10-12, 01:24 PM
SOLID300
Pole Position

I honestly think that u don't have enough money to go turbo. Especially on a car you rely so much on for work. A cheap kit will give you problems. By the mean time you should do maintenance on your car and even get stuff that u will need when you go turbo.

If I was you I would do these things first which you will need anyways when u go turbo.

Gates racing timing belt
Egr delete
3 inch exhaust
Suspension work

Start off with that and by the mean time do more reading. You will eventually learn enough that you will be able to decide on what you should buy to go turbo that suits you.
Old 02-10-12, 04:34 PM
DoomLight
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with what he said. Turbocharging a non turbo car cost a lot. It's not possible to do it for 1500 and do it right. A proper conversion will set u back 3000. And to me that's cheap with external gated wastegate.

Quick Reply: going turbo for cheap