Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

what is the max GM LS engine to fit in SC400

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-12, 02:51 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kponti
You see the rwhp you got there? approx 400rwhp with a built everything.
Take a $500 LS1, add heads/cam/intake and you will pull about 420-460rwhp with some nice lope. Add a lot less weight (170-200lbs less with those turbos)

Maybe that is the reason the OP went that route??
Where did you find the LS1 with heads,cam, and intake will pull 420-460 rwhp? Didn't you mean bhp? The stock LS1 only has 350 bhp at the crank, not the wheel. Adding the above mods may probably gain another 50-60 bhp with a good tune, and probably a reflashed ECU is needed. 400 rwhp on my car nearly equals to 550 bhp due to 28% loss from an auto tranny. Anyway, I don't like it to be a debate on this thread. Cheers.

P.S: You can P.M. me with some links where you think you found those LS1 with those mods making that much power, if you'd like. But I don't see the need for it.
Old 02-17-12, 05:12 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

LS engines are for hillbillies, go buy a Camaro.

Will everyone STOP with the LSx swapping bullshyte!?

Who CARES how much power you can make, its a gazillion year old, dinosaur pushrod V8 that sounds terrible.

/EveryLSXThreadEvaR!! .
Old 02-17-12, 05:16 AM
SpecialK47
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
LS engines are for hillbillies, go buy a Camaro.

Will everyone STOP with the LSx swapping bullshyte!?

Who CARES how much power you can make, its a gazillion year old, dinosaur pushrod V8 that sounds terrible.

/EveryLSXThreadEvaR!! .
Uh, no.

The LS series are some of the best motors ever made. They make great power, cheaply, and they're easy to mod.

Not to mention, they sound ****ing amazing.
Old 02-17-12, 05:29 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

No they are not one of the best engines, they are the best GM could do. Which is **** poor. 400hp out of a 6.0 liter? What if the JZ had 6liters?

Amazing sounding next to a boosted inline 6 is NOT a pushrod V8 sorry.

Easy to mod? Stuff your LS into a SC.

Drive it, crave more power, and then go do a cam swap with the engine in it. LOLZ.

Thanks for playing.

Ls engines are for Camaros, and Nissan Drift band wagon jumpers, not for a marvel of technology and refinement such as a Lexus.
Old 02-17-12, 05:49 AM
SpecialK47
Driver

Please. I'll take 8 cylinders with the ease of modification, cheap parts, and great power over a 4 or 6 banger any day.

Amazing sound and 6 cylinder don't even belong together unless you're talking something like a Porsche.

The LS engine is a marvel of technology. There is a reason they're swapped into anything and everything.
Old 02-17-12, 06:02 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What's wrong with LS Swap lol come on bro ? not everyone likes inline 6 1jz /2jz, not everyone likes Lexus or toyota V8.. I don't like toyota V8s but i don't tell 1uz owners their engines are junk.

Why don't you care about how much power it make? I thought that's the reason people are swapping these gte engines in their SCs? No

At the end of the day it's all personal preferences, parts are cheap, every aftermarket company make parts for them,cheaper to maintenance because it's not a Supra lol.

We can argue all day guys but there is nothing wrong LS engines.. Yes we all know the puch rod crap is garbage lol.

I am going to start My LS7 swap thread next week
Old 02-17-12, 06:53 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SpecialK47
Amazing sound and 6 cylinder don't even belong together unless you're talking something like a Porsche.
Boxer engine? You must like the way a Subaru sounds. Gross.

Originally Posted by SpecialK47
The LS engine is a marvel of technology. There is a reason they're swapped into anything and everything.
Marvel of technology? Pushrods came out in 1955. A Bit late.

The reason they are swapped into everything is because the economy is crap, and no one has any money.

But you know, it's what everyone is doing so it must be cool!

You can say anything you want but don't try to justify that a GM V8 is Full of Tech, or sounds good because those are both lies.

Thanks, bye.
Old 02-17-12, 07:33 AM
SpecialK47
Driver

Say what you will, the numbers proved it. Even back in the 90s LS swaps were big. Guess what, economy was booming then. Any more pathetic excuses?

I appreciate all cars for what they are. The LS series motors are some of the easiest motors to get crazy, reliable power out of, cheaply at that. You can't beat it
Old 02-17-12, 08:19 AM
roberto123
Driver School Candidate

Ok my last question is about the transmission for the LS7 installation. Sorry if I sound dumb or uneducated about this installation stuff about this car. I looked all over the internet for information on whats the best options are and I cant find a thing so im coming here so you guys can explain things to me. So please don’t get annoyed of me asking too many dumb question and stuff

Im gonna go with the LS7 engine swap for the sc400 1993
But im not sure what transmission I should get to handle the power of the new engine.

I would like to know what is the best automatic transmission and the best manual transmission you would recommend I put into this car so it can handle the new engine.

If you know an automatic that will work for this then that will be terrific

What other mods do you recommend I work on to make this car work with the ls7 engine because I don’t think the ls7 has ever been put into a sc400 and I want to do something that’s never done before
Thanks for all your help and sorry if I get annoying with the questions
Old 02-17-12, 08:41 AM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id much rather work on a JZ than an LS. Doesnt matter the car. Having built several STUPID high HP vettes, ill take a Jz powered ANYTHING.
Old 02-17-12, 08:42 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

I was joking about my LS7 swap !! That swap will cost an arm and a leg same goes to the LS9.

They will all fit in the SC.

I have never seen an LS7 in SC, you will be the first!!!

All the ones i have seen are LS1 powered maybe because it's Little cheaper than the rest of the LS motors.
Old 02-17-12, 08:56 AM
roberto123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
I was joking about my LS7 swap !! That swap will cost an arm and a leg same goes to the LS9.

They will all fit in the SC.

I have never seen an LS7 in SC, you will be the first!!!

All the ones i have seen are LS1 powered maybe because it's Little cheaper than the rest of the LS motors.
that why i wanna use the ls7 engine, to do something different that never been done before. my goal isn't to make a super fast car or have a high powered race car, my goal is to put an engine into an sc400 that has never been done before and make it unique
Old 02-17-12, 09:02 AM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you wanna be real unique, swap a diesel in.
Old 02-17-12, 09:11 AM
roberto123
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lookEVO
If you wanna be real unique, swap a diesel in.
i could, but i live in NJ and my area barley has any diesel pumps
plus i love the corvette engine and love the sc400
Old 02-17-12, 09:14 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Ok kool !!! Yeah i don't wanna spend that kind of money on a swap . The LS7 swap is too expensive for me to do, forget about being different lol .

Go for it if you have the funds.

Quick Reply: what is the max GM LS engine to fit in SC400