Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300/400 LT1 6-speed swap attempted?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-12, 12:34 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts
Default SC300/400 LT1 6-speed swap attempted?

I'm just curious about this because the idea of an engine swap that doesn't cost a major fortune in a smog state keeps my mental gears turning.

Has anyone ever tried to swap in a 1992-1995 Camaro/Firebird/Corvette LT1 V8 with the Borg-Warner 6-speed manual? It's a 275-300HP / 325 lb-ft engine in OBD1 form.

It's not as amazing as the LSX engine series but it is a proven GM performance V8 that does respond to modification and can be coaxed well beyond the factory horsepower and it's not nearly as expensive as an LS1, LS2 or LS6.

Seeing as how it's an OBD1 engine and my '93 SC is OBD1 I am curious to know how different it might be from an LSX swap.

I realize that most people can easily do an NA-T conversion or a 1JZGTE or 2JZGTE. I also realize that the even less popularly accepted LS1 swap is considered by some because... well... it's an LSX engine and they are right up there with 2JZ's in durability and power potential out of the box.

I'm not looking for much more than 300-350 crank horsepower anyway and this appeals to me more than an NA-T from the standpoint of having to pull equipment on and off of my car if there are ever issues with smog since it's an engine legally offered in the US.

Has anyone with mild horsepower goals in Cali thought of or tried this? GM OBD1 to Lexus OBD1 swap?

Last edited by KahnBB6; 02-14-12 at 12:38 AM.
Old 02-14-12, 05:20 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

no because lt1 is junky, i had a low 9 sec lt1 camaro that i built from ground up i know. Opti spark/waterpump and how hard everything to get to keeps people away from using this engine. Ls1s going so cheap now ,that it makes absolutly no sence to do lt1 motor, unless you want to intstall leaking waterfall of bodily fluids into your car. Please stick with 2j/1uz/ls1 only and forget about the idea all together. Lt1s also do not respond to mods as well as ls1s. Sure you can make one run very good with heads/cam, whatever you buy is going to need a major overhaul because these engines are simply old and worn out.
Old 02-14-12, 01:10 PM
poorsupra
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your trying to V8 swap on a budget, im a BIG fan of the LM7. its a 5.3L truck motor commonly found in almost all chevy/gm trucks/suv's. its like 330hp 350tq. this motor handles a LOT, get some heads, LS1 intake manifold, exhaust and a HP tuner/chip. easy 450RWHP. these motors can be had 100% complete ecu/harness/motor for 500-700 depending on miles. imo best bang for your buck LS family motor. best part is they handle booooost!! theres a guy with a pt88 turbo pushing 30+ PSI at like running 9's. holding the world record pass on a STOCK bottom end!!!!! and a good short block can be had 250-300$!!
Old 02-14-12, 08:18 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by poorsupra
if your trying to V8 swap on a budget, im a BIG fan of the LM7. its a 5.3L truck motor commonly found in almost all chevy/gm trucks/suv's. its like 330hp 350tq. this motor handles a LOT, get some heads, LS1 intake manifold, exhaust and a HP tuner/chip. easy 450RWHP. these motors can be had 100% complete ecu/harness/motor for 500-700 depending on miles. imo best bang for your buck LS family motor. best part is they handle booooost!! theres a guy with a pt88 turbo pushing 30+ PSI at like running 9's. holding the world record pass on a STOCK bottom end!!!!! and a good short block can be had 250-300$!!
5.3 doesn't really need heads ls1s guys use 5.3 ported heads all the time.all he needs is port job on heads ,cam,lsx or ls6 intake manifold and ls1 edit or Hp tuners. If 5.3 buttom end is aluminum it isn't boost.friendly especially with factory hypeuntetic pistons.never the less its a much better choice then lt1
Old 02-15-12, 05:40 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

^^ Well, also, the 5.3L is not out of a passenger car and that won't help me in Cali any more than a 1JZ will. I do know they are good alternative engines for the budget-conscious. I'd love to use one in another swap in another state someday. Maybe in an S13 or Starion.

MDSC, if you've had that much bad experience with the LT1 then I defer to you. I was expecting to have to rebuild one anyway but at the prices they are currently selling for (2JZ-GE prices or less) it seemed like a great rebuilding project.

Currently, what is a plain-jane LS1 & T-56 combination going for anyway?
Old 02-15-12, 06:11 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I'd love to use one in another swap in another state someday. Maybe in an S13 or Starion.
\
Dooo it!!!

Even liberal infested NY allows just about any swap your heart desires as long is it's in a 1995 or older chassis.
As soon as they passed the visual ONLY inspection here on Jan 1st, 2011 I jumped on the 1JZ bangwagon
Old 02-15-12, 09:18 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
Dooo it!!!

Even liberal infested NY allows just about any swap your heart desires as long is it's in a 1995 or older chassis.
As soon as they passed the visual ONLY inspection here on Jan 1st, 2011 I jumped on the 1JZ bangwagon
Educate me, please. Why is a "visual-only" inspection better than a visual+smog test inspection? Won't a 1JZ still look suspect to the technician? In Cali what car guys dislike most isn't the actual emissions test or the max emissions levels required of the car. It is the visual inspection portion.

As for the 5.3L... I like Starions best but that's just a nice idea for now.
Old 02-16-12, 08:36 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

The visual only involves "presence" of emissions equipment.
I've passed for two years now simply because they either forgot to look for cats or looked and forgot to note the absence of cats. No payoffs, no issues. It's done by your friendly neighborhood mom and pop shop so there is no smog centers. They used to do tailpipe emissions but that was costly and prone to cheating so they chose to avoid cheating by getting rid of that part of the inspection entirely.
Old 02-16-12, 10:05 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

CA is going to diagnostic port only for 2000+ vehicles starting in 2013. As long as you don't throw codes...you're good to go!
Old 02-16-12, 02:22 PM
poorsupra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MDSC
5.3 doesn't really need heads ls1s guys use 5.3 ported heads all the time.all he needs is port job on heads ,cam,lsx or ls6 intake manifold and ls1 edit or Hp tuners. If 5.3 buttom end is aluminum it isn't boost.friendly especially with factory hypeuntetic pistons.never the less its a much better choice then lt1
the lm7 IS iron block, VERY boost friendly. i have a few friends that have turbo'd silverados, and tahoe's with great results.
Old 02-17-12, 01:31 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 88supramki
CA is going to diagnostic port only for 2000+ vehicles starting in 2013. As long as you don't throw codes...you're good to go!
Does this mean absolutely no visual inspections for a 2000+? They can't be doing away with that so easily.

Too bad it won't affect older car inspections. From my understanding the new measures suggested that you still had to put 1999 and older cars on the roller-- meaning that more new smog shops could test newer cars but not the older ones if they had no roller equipment.

I'm still skeptical about the whole diagnostic port scan being safe for hot-rodders. I've heard people suggest that the scanning software will be able to read reflash checksums and flag retunes and I've also heard that the ARB simply isn't capable of doing such a thing. I have no idea at this point since it's all heresy until 2013.

Anyway, I guess my reasons for wanting an LT1 are rendered moot if the engine is really such a dog as is suggested.
Old 02-17-12, 11:40 AM
poorsupra
Pole Position

snag the t56 and buy an lm7
Old 02-17-12, 12:43 PM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Unfortunately an LM7 is not an engine originally sold in a passenger car-- just SUVs and trucks. It's not going to pass a visual inspection in CA. Love the engine but all things being (illegally) equal I might as well install a JDM 1JZ/2JZ.
Old 02-17-12, 01:35 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

^^ Well, also, the 5.3L is not out of a passenger car and that won't help me in Cali any more than a 1JZ will. I do know they are good alternative engines for the budget-conscious. I'd love to use one in another swap in another state someday. Maybe in an S13 or Starion.

MDSC, if you've had that much bad experience with the LT1 then I defer to you. I was expecting to have to rebuild one anyway but at the prices they are currently selling for (2JZ-GE prices or less) it seemed like a great rebuilding project.

Currently, what is a plain-jane LS1 & T-56 combination going for anyway?
i dont know but i wouldnt say any more then 1500 for ls1+t56, t56 out of lt1 is a little different style then ls1, lt1 has external slave like w58 and ls1 t56 slave in internal.
Old 02-17-12, 01:46 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

\
I'm still skeptical about the whole diagnostic port scan being safe for hot-rodders. I've heard people suggest that the scanning software will be able to read reflash checksums and flag retunes and I've also heard that the ARB simply isn't capable of doing such a thing. I have no idea at this point since it's all heresy until 2013.
As far as OBD2 cars go, its often fairly simple to "trick" or "mask" the ECU from seeing certain mods. Certainly a swap would be a tough one but certain things like cat-deletes are pretty easy to pass with non-foulers even on newer cars with wideband primary sensors. Some software can delete codes permanently by eliminating them from a ECU's "checklist" but that usually shows a sensor system as not being "ready" and many states will not pass you if one or more systems report back as "not ready" even if no codes are pending or thrown otherwise.