Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 Transmission Fluid Woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-12, 06:27 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 Transmission Fluid Woes

We had a long discussion sometime back in a thread about fluids and everything in that nature in the SC300.

I filled up my empty transmission last night with the Lextreme 2800 RPM stall converter, and went down the road, it was shifting great until I went to into fourth or lockup the TC.

I beat my brains out, perhaps the others were right I said to my self [about using NON-Toyota fluid, I used Mobil 1 Full Synthetic in my case]? Then I looked on the Supra Forums and saw they used this [ http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-230/Dr.+...+Shudder+Fixx] ] - I bought it this morning and the car is shifting like it's brand new.

The converter made a HUGE difference and I highly recommend it to anyone staying auto and wanting more pep in the step.

Last edited by TechGreek; 02-20-12 at 06:47 AM.
Old 02-20-12, 07:53 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TechGreek
We had a long discussion sometime back in a thread about fluids and everything in that nature in the SC300.

I filled up my empty transmission last night with the Lextreme 2800 RPM stall converter, and went down the road, it was shifting great until I went to into fourth or lockup the TC.

I beat my brains out, perhaps the others were right I said to my self [about using NON-Toyota fluid, I used Mobil 1 Full Synthetic in my case]? Then I looked on the Supra Forums and saw they used this [ http://www.lubegard.com/~/C-230/Dr.+...+Shudder+Fixx] ] - I bought it this morning and the car is shifting like it's brand new.

The converter made a HUGE difference and I highly recommend it to anyone staying auto and wanting more pep in the step.
I always wanted the torque converter, how the gas mileage you getting or too soon to ask? I know when ppl drop turbo, their gas mileage improves. How does that lube shudder fix work? just add it into your ATF?
Old 02-20-12, 08:55 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Too soon to ask honestly, but I've driven it about 30 miles and notice nothing different. I also don't floor it everywhere either

Yes sir, you just pour it down the fill tube, I left the motor running to keep the pump running. It took a second for it to get circulated but within a mile, it was shifting perfect...
Old 02-20-12, 09:28 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shudder you were exp is the reason I use only t-iv fluid as it has the additives to make the trans run smooth however we used lube guard in every transmission that came out of our shop so I would say it does the job well.
There was a good write up on supra forums forom boost logic detailing why to only use t-iv in toyota transmissions I will try to find it.
Old 02-21-12, 07:31 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by xspsi6
The shudder you were exp is the reason I use only t-iv fluid as it has the additives to make the trans run smooth however we used lube guard in every transmission that came out of our shop so I would say it does the job well.
There was a good write up on supra forums forom boost logic detailing why to only use t-iv in toyota transmissions I will try to find it.

Bam here you go! I have a BL trans in my Supra w/ a 3800 stall. Needless to say no need to brake boost lmao

1) The transmission uses Toyota Type T4 Fluid.

A Toyota Transmission Engineer, states: "The reason the TT A340i uses TIV is because those trans' have flex lockup and "intelligence" control. The "i" means the ECM monitors input and output shaft timing to maintain constant shift speed over its life. The ECM's control calibration is matched to the TIV's fluid's friction coefficient and temperature characteristics. Any Toyota transmission with flex lockup (duty cycles linear solenoid at low speed and load) uses that fluid. Otherwise dexron III is used. The clutches and seals are the same. Using dexron in a TIV trans could cause shift flare, shock or lockup shudder. The Toyota stuff is very high quality (mineral based) and really not that inexpensive. There really isn't a "universal fluid". Using that train of thought would be like saying all spark plugs are the same."

2) The transmission fluid level is measured with the car running and in neutral.
Old 02-24-12, 10:32 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

After researching into the different situations and scenarios, the clutch pack in the A340E in the Supra's are different - thus requiring the different fluid.

The SC300 says Dex 2/3, the SC400/Supra says Toyota specific fluid.

I haven't had any issue out of the fluid and additive yet, it'll have a very minor occasional shudder on decel to a light after a hard run, but I'm missing a nut on one of the mount studs, so I think that has something to do with it - not the fluid.

Regardless, I'll be switching back to genuine fluid tonight just to see what the difference is in the way the transmission acts.
Old 02-24-12, 03:55 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is correct I for some reason was thinking you had a sc400 but yea sc300 is supposed to be able to run dex fluid although I never have as I am a creature of habit.
Old 02-25-12, 10:50 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Well, they didn't have DEX for Lexus/Toyota transmissions in normal containers, only in bulk.

After reviewing the TSB, mixing the TII/etc with Dex is NOT advised, and will cause adverse issues.

Has anyone ran the Toyota Type T fluid in their SC300? Trying to get down to the bottom of this crazy mystery.