Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GTE ecu in na-t sc300

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-12, 10:23 PM
ProjecSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey how is this going for you? curious to know as i am going the same route.
Old 03-29-12, 12:04 AM
Bflatsharp
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

failure is not a option
Old 03-29-12, 09:23 AM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

SJ, we're ready for pics of your completed GTE ecu swap.
Old 03-29-12, 10:50 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not done yet, just got the map and IAT sensor in. Waiting on ETS na-t intercooler piping or maybe if im lucky ill catch some used on the classifieds. Any donations of a fuel pump and na-t piping would be greatly appreciated! (no seriously ill buy em though)

once i get my fuel pump and piping in i plan on installing everything in 1 or 2 days.

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!!!
Old 03-29-12, 01:34 PM
Bflatsharp
Driver

Since my dad decided to the funny guy he is (we share this account) I should do some clarifying for you.
The fact that you have an auto trans means you have other problems. The Auto JDM GTE ECU will not work with your auto trans. Something about the valve bodies being different. Look at the end of page 2 on the link you posted. I believe if you install an Auto TT trans with a Auto TT ECU it should work out, not 100% sure.

What you'll need is
440cc top feed high impedance injectors (or low impedance w/ a resistor)
IAT & MAP sensors (use earlier link for correct wiring)
TPS wires may need to be moved around
O2 sensors are different - you have 1 wire O2 JDM has 3 or 4 wires. Stock works but you'll have a CEL
Cam and Crank signals will be sent from your dizzy

That's all I can think of for now.
Old 03-29-12, 02:15 PM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bflatsharp
Since my dad decided to the funny guy he is (we share this account) I should do some clarifying for you.
The fact that you have an auto trans means you have other problems. The Auto JDM GTE ECU will not work with your auto trans. Something about the valve bodies being different. Look at the end of page 2 on the link you posted. I believe if you install an Auto TT trans with a Auto TT ECU it should work out, not 100% sure.

What you'll need is
440cc top feed high impedance injectors (or low impedance w/ a resistor)
IAT & MAP sensors (use earlier link for correct wiring)
TPS wires may need to be moved around
O2 sensors are different - you have 1 wire O2 JDM has 3 or 4 wires. Stock works but you'll have a CEL
Cam and Crank signals will be sent from your dizzy

That's all I can think of for now.
After i get the initial headache out of the way i will try and install a tt trans.

I plan on wiring in the tt sensors direct to the ecu as far as the extra 1 or 2 wires. I will leave everything for my auto in place as i believe it will still work but probably throw a **** ton of codes since there will be nothing hooked up to it.
Arent jdm tt autos all computer and ours are more cable??? If it doesnt work ill just use an safc with my stock ecu. I am hoping this works though haha

As well i was aware of the CPS signals needing to be from the dizzy but do you know if those wiring diagrams i linked to are "it" ? I know ill need to run the extra wires coming off of my ignition coil but im not sure what else.
Old 03-29-12, 03:13 PM
ProjecSC
Driver School Candidate

this isnt looking good for me, hope the sc trans works out
Old 03-29-12, 03:18 PM
Bflatsharp
Driver

Originally Posted by sj408
After i get the initial headache out of the way i will try and install a tt trans.

I plan on wiring in the tt sensors direct to the ecu as far as the extra 1 or 2 wires. I will leave everything for my auto in place as i believe it will still work but probably throw a **** ton of codes since there will be nothing hooked up to it.
Arent jdm tt autos all computer and ours are more cable??? If it doesnt work ill just use an safc with my stock ecu. I am hoping this works though haha

As well i was aware of the CPS signals needing to be from the dizzy but do you know if those wiring diagrams i linked to are "it" ? I know ill need to run the extra wires coming off of my ignition coil but im not sure what else.
The TT auto uses a solenoid in the trans to control line pressure and The GE trans uses a line of some sorts. Not sure how to go about making it work. I'm going to be manual so not much research done here.

Say you put all the GTE stuff in and it doesn't work. Now you must undo everything you just did to your harness plus install the SAFC. Just seems like a lot of harness hacking for a "I hope it works."

Now mind you most of what I'm saying here is what was read online. I haven't actually done this but I'll eventually go down this route. From my findings it is setup the ignition wires, convert MAF to MAP & IAT, swap around the TPS, add the right size injectors, and you should be done with wiring under the hood. Will you need to do the 12v fuel pump mod, I don't know yet.

I have spent some time looking at pin outs between the two ecus and not a whole lot different.
Old 03-29-12, 10:33 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by sj408

Ive actually never run the GTE ecu on my car, was using a standalone but I just sold it so I can try out the gte ecu.
I got everything installed right now, but its not running properly.
I will try and finish it soon so I can help confirm this works for everyone and exactly what needs to be done.
My power goals sort of changed so I figured I would give it a shot.
I know it can work because it has been done before by others and I have personally seen GE harnesses running full TT motors.
The distributor puts out all the signals to the right places, but the grounds are shared (1 wire), where the tt uses 3 seperate grounds for crank and 2x cam. not sure if this needs to be addressed at the ecu, but once I know I will let everyone know.
My car starts up but is having issues running well and doesnt rev right, I tried first the vvti ignitor and coils, thought maybe that was the problem, but my tt ignitor and coils do the same thing.
So I am going to pull the codes this weekend or next, i have been busy with some other projects, I literally have no spare time these past few weeks. lol, not to mention I want to build the 22r in my truck now. It in the early stages of the dreaded timing chain rattle of death so it needs to be changed out soon.

Once I figure out what the issue is exactly I will update my thread with exactly how to do it and videos and all that good stuff. if you get it running let me know, one way or another I plan on getting it to work or my cars not moving for quite a while.

The TT auto uses a solenoid in the trans to control line pressure and The GE trans uses a line of some sorts. Not sure how to go about making it work. I'm going to be manual so not much research done here.

Say you put all the GTE stuff in and it doesn't work. Now you must undo everything you just did to your harness plus install the SAFC. Just seems like a lot of harness hacking for a "I hope it works."

Now mind you most of what I'm saying here is what was read online. I haven't actually done this but I'll eventually go down this route. From my findings it is setup the ignition wires, convert MAF to MAP & IAT, swap around the TPS, add the right size injectors, and you should be done with wiring under the hood. Will you need to do the 12v fuel pump mod, I don't know yet.

I have spent some time looking at pin outs between the two ecus and not a whole lot different.
You just leave the ge throttle body in place, which is what most na-t do, its already there doing its job. you can upgrade to a larger one like the ls400 which also has the automatic pressure line on it. most Automatic toyota throttle bodies around the 90's had that provision, as well as a few other auto makers, but you need to keep it if you want to keep that trans. you may get a cel but im sure there is some trick for that sensor.
The problem you will run into sooner or later depending on your boost levels is that the ge auto can't take a whole lot of abuse, so have a backup plan for when that happens.

Ill let you know if it works in the near future, so you can save your harness
Your pretty much good on what needs to be done, however there is no need to do the 12v fuel mod, unless you want to do it to get rid of a lean spot issue on transition or something like that. I think this is more of an issue with the odb1 usdm ecu.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 03-29-12 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-30-12, 09:12 AM
Bflatsharp
Driver

SJ, I should have said failure is not our option.
Lucky us we have Ali.
Old 03-30-12, 11:49 AM
sj408
Instructor

SJ, I should have said failure is not our option.
Lucky us we have Ali.
haha yeah, If you want shoot me a pm... ill be doing this whole deal once i get the na-t piping and fuel pump. Have you started your parts gathering??
Old 03-30-12, 10:15 PM
Bflatsharp
Driver

Ali: So you ditched the AEM and went GTE? Kinda glad because it will make my job that much easier, haha! Did you stick with the 550cc injectors? I really wish I could have my motor in and capable of running but still more stuff to buy for this turbo (I've been piecing mine together). Keep us posted on what ya find out. And I know exactly what you mean about being busy, best of luck man.

SJ: I've started gathering parts from the day I bought an SC300 LOL! I have everything I need to make this ecu work(actually it's Ali's old one) but I'm still waiting to get my engine back together plus the other odds and ends for the turbo. It's been a long slow process but one day it'll be ready. By that time the only thing not touched will be the block internals.
Old 03-31-12, 08:48 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Ali: So you ditched the AEM and went GTE? Kinda glad because it will make my job that much easier, haha! Did you stick with the 550cc injectors? I really wish I could have my motor in and capable of running but still more stuff to buy for this turbo (I've been piecing mine together). Keep us posted on what ya find out. And I know exactly what you mean about being busy, best of luck man.
Yeah, it sounds crazy to downgrade, but here in Denver my SC would not like to start in 30 degree weather. I see stock ecu cars firing right up and here I am cranking for 10 minutes and killing my battery. I decided time to go stock ecu, I only run 14 psi max these days, the stock ecu can handle that just fine. I decided to go with 750cc EV14 injectors and a 3 bar map sensor. I am testing a theory out that I can get away with big injectors on an na-t.
Normally changing the map sensor will advance the base timing alot, but since we have a distributor, we can actually turn back the base timing to restore normal timing, which cannot be done on a gte head (it can also be done with a nice piggyback).
After it runs good Ill start pushing it a little and see how far I can take it, first I need a backup trans...

Last edited by Ali SC3; 04-14-12 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-23-12, 07:42 AM
Revhead95
Driver School Candidate

Prob a dumb question but can you run an Auto TT ECU with a manual transmission?
Old 04-24-12, 06:17 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^^Yes sir u can.

Quick Reply: GTE ecu in na-t sc300