Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GTE ecu in na-t sc300

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-12, 05:11 PM
Sinistr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been kinda thinking of doing the TT ECU for a while now. I know that I read it somewhere, and I'm sure that someone posted a link in here also. But I was thinking. Could I theoretically run a TT auto ECU and the TT auto tranny attached the GE, and have a running vehicle? Just curious.
Old 04-25-12, 09:31 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yes you can, thats a good upgrade for automatics as well, the tt trans can take more power.

havent had time to get it fully running. i got the new tps setup, need to get it on the car and see if that was the last issue, apparently it didnt like my aftermarket nissan tps, had to get the beech q45 adapter to go back to stock tps.
Old 04-25-12, 09:54 AM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sinistr
I've been kinda thinking of doing the TT ECU for a while now. I know that I read it somewhere, and I'm sure that someone posted a link in here also. But I was thinking. Could I theoretically run a TT auto ECU and the TT auto tranny attached the GE, and have a running vehicle? Just curious.
thats kinda what i was going to go for in the end, but was hoping that i could run it initially without having to swap the trannys right away.
Old 04-26-12, 12:38 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

you don't have to swap the trans right away, the TT ecu will work with the stock auto as long as you keep your stock throttle body which has the line pressure cable on it.
Old 04-26-12, 02:19 PM
sj408
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
you don't have to swap the trans right away, the TT ecu will work with the stock auto as long as you keep your stock throttle body which has the line pressure cable on it.
awesome, hows progress on your end ali? im just waiting for finances to pick up intercooler piping and fuel pump and ill be getting started
Old 05-15-12, 06:32 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any updates on this?
Old 05-15-12, 09:56 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I should have it running friday, It would have been working, but apprently the aristo ecu does not like a 3 bar map sensor without alot of messing around, I have 440cc injectors and a 2jz map sensor on the way, once those are on it should be all good, and ill tell everyone the best way to do it. I think both the vvti coils and the stock distributor can work also, but I havent tested them out yet. I will test out the vvti coils after its running on the gte coils.
Old 05-17-12, 08:31 PM
Lead Lap

awesome, i'll be looking forward to the results
Old 05-18-12, 09:41 AM
sj408
Instructor

its friday and the suspense is killing me... sadly my friend just clutch kicked into my car so i have to fix that before finishing the gte ecu
Old 05-18-12, 09:48 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Lol, I am shooting for this weekend, got the injectors, waiting for the map sensor.
Hoping for it firing up.
Old 05-21-12, 10:43 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
Lol, I am shooting for this weekend, got the injectors, waiting for the map sensor.
Hoping for it firing up.
Any updates?!
Old 05-22-12, 08:22 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

well I thought I was getting if friday but I didn't get the sensor in the mail till 6pm yesterday.
the good news is I have all the parts now, if I can get some wrench time in the evening , I hope to get it running again.
Old 05-22-12, 12:34 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

If you had a standalone in the car and have cold start problems, your tuner sucks. Don't cheap out on the tune. Going back to stock ecu and all those headaches for that one reason doesn't make sense to my brain.
Old 05-22-12, 01:40 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Im not going back to a stock ecu, for me the stock ecu is a non turbo sc300 ecu.
I am using an Aristo ecu on my na-t which uses a map sensor and coil on plug ignition, which is all I am really looking for in an ecu on my setup.
And actually, its the aem that is the problem. the aem has difficulty picking up the variable reluctor pickups (cam/crank) properly in 30 degree weather.
It can hardly even do it properly in warm weather but it gets the job done at least.
They had such a problem on honda's that they had to release an aftermarket distributor with hall sensors to use as the cam/crank sensors that work much better.
the cold weather usually drops the battery voltage enough overnight as well, to where the aem wont even show sync on until jumping the car or charging the battery overnight. It has nothing to do with the tune, if it doesn't sync, it wont even fire up. even when I get sync the aem has starting parameters are worse than adjusting a caurberator. when started my car ran like a beast, I had the aem tuned so well it drove better than stock, but thats if I could get it to start.

If you live where it doesnt get below 40 degrees, you would never even know this.
Over here, basically every morning in the winter is much lower than that, and my car was a giant aem powered paperweight.
The stock ecu picks up the signals so well it can start the car on a half dead battery if you need it to.

If the aem wasnt worth so much I would have smashed the thing into a million pieces office space style.
I had 2 different reputable tuners look at the car, I myself can tune aem's and i am very familiar with the way the sensors are read as I am an electrically inclined person to say the least.
After paying several thousands of dollars (it is not cheap to get tuners to keep looking at your ecu), I decided what an incredible fail the whole thing was, and I am going to use an aristo ecu and use all that money on an vlsd or something.

And the idea is that its just a headache for me, and once I post how to do it, others can use the JDM ecu's with just adding a handfull of wires, that I will have spelled out in great detail. It doesn't bother me how much work something takes, what bothers me is doing a whole bunch of work and time and money and it still doesn't work right. Thanks but no thanks AEM, I will be taking a different path from here until they can learn to start an engine in freezing temeperatures properly.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-22-12 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-22-12, 05:19 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

IT'S ALIVE!! running buttery smooth
more detail to follow

Quick Reply: GTE ecu in na-t sc300