Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Question for Toyomoto Turbo owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-02, 02:06 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool keep it coming. This is good stuff.

I do want to make sure of another thing that is worrying me. I need to be absolutely sure that the Supra TT stock piping matches up with the turbos. By all indications from the shop that is true but I don't want to have this thing installed and then have to get some stuff custom made at the last second when the car is in a hundred pieces.

I would have had a shop install this for me but the shops called Toyomoto up and then they wanted to charge me 70-80 hours! Now this includes getting the LSD and suspension work but this extra stuff only accounted for 7-8 hours max. Even at $75 an hour which is low around here ($105-125/hr is normal) that is $6K. I thought this was alot and I was looking at the IS300 Stage II components of which many of the things are omitted in the Sc300 kit.

I am having a mechanic install it but yes I will be there the whole time, hopefully taking snapshots and doing work myself.

But back to the main question about the IC tubing. Any confirmations?
Old 10-26-02, 11:57 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

I can't verify any of this... My kit had custom welded pipes that Lance made manually. Everything fit with great precision. If he can source off-the-shelf parts that fit, it would make sense to do so, especially if the quality is good.

BTW... Hermosa, I'm almost over you snatching Ethan's LSD from me.
Old 10-26-02, 12:39 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Hermosa
I don't want to have this thing installed and then have to get some stuff custom made at the last second when the car is in a hundred pieces.
To clarify my fear of not getting all the parts, the original box they sent but got returned to them was 56 pounds. The new box they are sending weighs only 41 pounds!!! This means there are 15 pounds less of stuff this time.

15 pounds of stuff sounds important. I would like to know what was removed.

Here is what I received.

Turbo head unit with turbo gasket
Exhaust manifold with no gasket to engine
Braided steel line(oil?)
6x 440CC injectors
Filter (no adapter or anthing)
Air flow sensor

That is all.

Last edited by Hermosa; 10-26-02 at 12:50 PM.
Old 10-26-02, 01:01 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SC300T,

I agree with this statement 100%. Hermosa just buy a quality A/F gauge such as the Greddy A/F and you will be good.

"IMO...
Advise to Hermosa should be to leave the wastegate spring alone and keep the boost where Lance wants it until he gets to know the car. Buy an air/fuel ratio gauge, an EGT gauge, a fuel pressure gauge, monitor the readings at a nominal amount of boost, then gradually dial up boost over a period of time. Buy some dyno time with a wideband sensor and correlate what the on-board EGT and A/F correspond to the calibrated UEGO on the dyno."

Hermosa,

That is funny how the box was lightened 15lbs. This is getting harder by the day for you. You have spent loads of cash and I hope this works out well for you.
Old 10-29-02, 08:44 AM
rexst_ph
Driver School Candidate

Default help, my kit isnt performing as expected

Can you guys help me please. I'm new to this forum and I'd appreciate your advice. I bought my toyomoto kit back in 97 when Lance wasn't as busy as he is now. Here's my predicament. I've had my vehicle tuned using a wide band Dyno and the highest rwhp I got was 286 at 14 lbs. While this is certainly a whole lot better than stock, i'd like to be able to get the kind of hp you guys are getting (about 400+). This is what I currently have on my kit which I bought for about 6k at that time

2 additional 550cc injectors
Greddy TD06-20G (if I remember what Lance told me) not CT26
Supra TT intercooler
Haltech AFC
EGT
HKS Boost Controller
A/F meter
Cast Manifold with 3.5 inch downpipe
BOV
HKS Filter
all the braided lines for oil return

So what mods do I need to get where you guys are. I appreciate the help.
Old 10-29-02, 09:12 AM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

is your car an auto?......and the turbo you have is quite small.......you should goto a bigger turbo....and if its an auto your going to have lower rwhp figures.....hows the kit after 5 years of use?......how many miles on the kit?...
Old 10-29-02, 11:16 AM
rexst_ph
Driver School Candidate

Yes my vehicle is an automatic but I am using a Level 10 tranny setup so it does shift a little harder but not rough by any stretch. The vehicle is a 93 and it now has 25K miles. Yes your eyes are not fooling you it is 25K. The turbo has logged about 3k. i dont use it much but i do have fun with it when i do use it.

What size of turbo should I use? will I need to change my manifold or will need to be modified? I remember Powerhouse Performance telling me that I could use a T04e turbo to make about 450 hp. Is this right. And if I use a bigger turbo will I have a lot of lag and will driveability suffer drastically?Right now the lag is minimal and driveability is very acceptable. This is after all a street driven car . I have been able to post a 13.02 at the Houston speedway on street tires so its not too much of a slouch. How much should I expect to spend to get to the 400 range?
Old 10-29-02, 12:56 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

I am soon filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau concerning the business practices at Toyomoto. Time and time again they have failed to have any positive interface with me and what seems like a lot of other customers. Their response is lacking and they are not clear on what their own product is supposed to contain. Waiting over 4 months is not acceptable for something paid in advance that was guaranteed in 30 to 45 days. This is the worst business I have dealt with so far. At no time is the customer informed on what is happening with the kit they ordered. I have to call ten times to somehow catch one person who happened to be standing near the phone. My questions to them are not replied with clear-cut answers. They need to get their act together. I will bypass this filing if someone at Toyomoto would just step up and try to show some interest in conducting a real business and offering customer service.
Old 10-29-02, 01:29 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

well i dont know what to say...i have been trying to help.....although i dont work for toyomoto....they have been out of town alot lately due to racing a car in the nopi series and the NHRA.....they just set the national record in pamona which is a far cry from miami...this is why the quick response hasnt been there....do what ya like but if you are good to them they will be good to you...ask sc300t.....i have offered to help before and will continue to do so......but threats like that arent cool......Jeff
Old 10-29-02, 01:38 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

It is not a threat. It is a warning. It is not cool to completely disregard customers. If they do not want to deal with customers they should stop selling products. They may be engineers but they are not business folk. They should hire someone with some business skills.
Old 10-29-02, 02:30 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Hermosa,

I agree, that is a simple rule of business. "Don't take money for products you cannot deliver in a timely manner."

I think what everyone is trying to tell you in this thread is that the wait is worth the anguish. However, I think you have a right to file a complaint about their business practices. They are spending your money crossing the country with their little race car while you sit and wait to receive the product. If the Pomona they travelled to is the Pomona Raceway in CALIFORNIA, then I would be really pissed. They could have dropped the damn parts off for you in "Hermosa" Beach which is only minutes from the raceway.

Man, what a nightmare. I feel for you Mike. I would be pretty mad too. When you get the parts and ready to install them, I will gladly drive down and between Lex400sc, Me and you. Maybe we can get it going sooner.

MW
Old 10-29-02, 03:03 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

sorry you feel that way....dont know what to tell ya.....the kit is worth the wait and the package was shipped out well before they left to pamona.......with there"little" race car.......dan who used to work there started his own business so lance has been short handed and busy.....sorry your not happy...Jeff
Old 10-29-02, 03:12 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

There is the problem. They should have someone in the shop from 9 to 5 accepting product orders and handling customers.
Old 10-29-02, 03:20 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

idealy yes...but right now its not a reality.....the other person that helps with that is out in cali with the car and now preparing for SEMA...but idealy your right....wish i could help more but im not an employee or owner...just try to help people get the best stuff on there lexus...Jeff
Old 10-29-02, 05:24 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Hang in there... 4 months IS a long time, they are very slow, and hard to get ahold of. I can't agree with the comments about not being helpful on the phone, though. I've always gotten concrete (and correct) answers to questions. I'm sure that Lance isn't trying to rip you off on this, everything will come together. Certain questions don't have exact answers, everyone has an opinion.

We all wish that they'd always answer the phone, or return a call promptly, but its probably not feasible to stock his office with phone answerers, tech support people, etc. It just won't happen. There would be no way to make money in this situation, so you have to have a degree of compassion for the guy. The 2JZ world is too small for them to scale to a company that has dedicated tech support, phone help, etc.

Besides, you're 90% there... Wait on this next box, then lean on us for some install questions. There are at least two others that have intimate knowledge of the install process. (myself, Jeff and computerwiz)

Quick Reply: Question for Toyomoto Turbo owners