Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Question for Toyomoto Turbo owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-02, 05:44 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the box is coming but they missed some parts when they repacked it. If you read an earlier post they forgot to pack 15 pounds of equipment. That sounds important. 15 pounds could be a lot of small parts or one important big one. My install must happen the following weekend. If I need to go back to them to send me parts I will have to bill them for a car rental for every day it takes until the parts arrive. I have asked time and time again for a list of all parts in the kit. I need to know every little aspect so I can compare to what I have. I doubt they are sending me everything I paid for. Once again 15 pounds of stuff is alot.

Last edited by Hermosa; 10-29-02 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-31-02, 01:51 AM
Mkiv94tt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They need to get their act together. I will bypass this filing if someone at Toyomoto would just step up and try to show some interest in conducting a real business and offering customer service

Hermosa,

Can't help you out on this one, Ever since i left, i've been in the dark also, and focusing on my company as Jeff already stated! Toyomoto has been concentrating on that "Record Holding little Race Car" ...

Really wish i could help, but i don't think it would be appropriate to intervene in these situations any longer; being that i am no longer employed their....

By all means, feel free to email me or contact me @ work should you need any tech information or purchasing information!

Japanese Wholesale Direct
786-277-2525.
Dan@japanesewholesaledirect.com

Best of Luck,

Dan

Last edited by Mkiv94tt; 10-31-02 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-31-02, 06:13 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Sound Performance. Back when I had my ride ... and all those wonderful plans. They were the only shop that actually gave me the time of day. They gave me a tour when I was in the area, showed me their work, and gave me advice. Strait up - and bare bones. They were the only shop that gave me strait up answers on the phone - or even bothered to answer the phone. I would look nowhere else for my 2jz needs. Of course, I need another SC300.... and that won't be any time soon.

I tried real hard to get with toyomoto, even purchase a manifold - but no dice. So, onward and elsewhere. Sorry to hear it. Tis a shame. Good luck hermy.
Old 10-31-02, 01:35 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

things are getting better and i was assured by lance that all the parts are in the box..nothing missing......have you recieved it yet?......i understand the concerns but things are getting better.....i promise.......
Lex...id be happy to help out with anything you need.......let me know what i can do to assist.....you wont be dissapointed....Jeff
Old 10-31-02, 06:08 PM
NONE
Driver School Candidate

Well after reading through all four pages I have a few comments to add if I may.

First off this 15 pounds of stuff that you may or may not be missing. You put the blame on Toyomotive which I agree deserves some of it, but you sent them 6K and have no idea what you bought? I think some of the blame has to be shared here. Also you obviously have no idea what you need or should have to make this project complete therfore I assume you dont know what it takes to add a turbo. Kinda going into this blind I would think. A little posting before ordering would have saved a lot of problems. Is there a chance you have every thing and the shipping company simply weighed the box wrong?

Let me add I have no reason to take a side either way. I do not know anyone at toyomotive and have never bought one thing from them. I am just pointing out some things that I think everyone should know before tearing into a project.

I have over the years built many turbo perforamnce cars. The owners of these companys for the most part are gear heads. Nothing bad ment by that but simply the people that are at the top of the performance game tend to not be buisness people. If they were I suspect we would all be paying a lot more and getting a lot less. Its sad to say but your wait is not very uncommon, It is common to have wait times in excess of what you have experienced. I myself can of all people speak from experience.

The company your dealing with, not just toyomotive but all performance companys, dont make the turbos used in the kit they get them from manufactures. They dont fab the manifolds, they designe it and outsource it to another company, they dont build the inj they buy them from another company, and keep in mind all of these companys have the same customer service problems. In retrospect its a miracle you ever get your kit.

I am not making excuses and I do agree its very frustrating and uncalled for but its also the way of it. If you like good customer service then performance cars are not for you, it sould not be this way but it is. If you think you are just going to bolt it on and cruise around town tering up the highway you are in for more of a disapointment. The car will need to be dyno tuned using a wide-ban 02 and many other peices of data loging equipment if you want it run right and problem free also I think in my opion you need a AFC or other type of fuel tunning system, yes its not a must but I think its very important with out it your kinda stuck with what you get. You will most likly have some issues such as boost leakes finding the right plugs and gap ect ect ect .... Its part of a performance car. If its to much to bear you should look into a factory perfromance car and be happy with stock.

I dont mean to come of as flaming, its not my goal I simply hear about many people that get into projects they dont fully understand and then it takes all the fun out of going fast and making power. Anyway my .02 cents feel free to disagree.

BTW as for the inj. the rule of thumb on many cars running forced induction is 1cc of inj for ever 1rwhp. We run 600+hp on 555cc inj in the Zs all the time at low duty cycles with a 3bar fuel map and supras go by the same general rule FYI.
Old 10-31-02, 07:51 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by NONE
Well after reading through all four pages I have a few comments to add if I may.

First off this 15 pounds of stuff that you may or may not be missing. You put the blame on Toyomotive which I agree deserves some of it, but you sent them 6K and have no idea what you bought? I think some of the blame has to be shared here. Also you obviously have no idea what you need or should have to make this project complete therfore I assume you dont know what it takes to add a turbo. Kinda going into this blind I would think. A little posting before ordering would have saved a lot of problems. Is there a chance you have every thing and the shipping company simply weighed the box wrong?
Sorry None, but you could not be more wrong. I did go over what was included and it was comparable to the Stage II IS 300 kit. I have asked them repeatedly what the entire kit includes to make sure but I have never got an answer. There is no research involved here as Toyomoto will not give information. I originally bought this through a dealership but Toyomoto failed to provide the product and after being 30 days delinquent I eliminated the dealership out of the loop.
I know what I wanted which is why I ordered the Stage II and not the Stage 1.5 or 1. They simply have a very poor interface with customers. This plan for me turboing the SC started in February when Swift decided not to supercharge my SC400. If you were in this forum long enough you would understand how long this has been going on. Please read up. Toyomoto was supposed to have everything to me by mid July to late July at the very latest. Today is the last day of October.

Nothing bad ment by that but simply the people that are at the top of the performance game tend to not be buisness people. If they were I suspect we would all be paying a lot more and getting a lot less. Its sad to say but your wait is not very uncommon, It is common to have wait times in excess of what you have experienced. I myself can of all people speak from experience.
There is no excuse for bad service and misinformation. You should not simply write off poor business and customer skills by saying, "Well they are just engineers..." If that is the case you do not sell your products directly. You have someone else market and sell the parts. All they have to do is put the information out once and give this to distributors.

The company your dealing with, not just toyomotive but all performance companys, dont make the turbos used in the kit they get them from manufactures. They dont fab the manifolds, they designe it and outsource it to another company, they dont build the inj they buy them from another company, and keep in mind all of these companys have the same customer service problems. In retrospect its a miracle you ever get your kit.
A load of doodie, hehe. All it takes is organization and a respect for those who support what they like to do most.

If you like good customer service then performance cars are not for you, it sould not be this way but it is.
Sorry but this is a ludicrous statement.

BTW as for the inj. the rule of thumb on many cars running forced induction is 1cc of inj for ever 1rwhp. We run 600+hp on 555cc inj in the Zs all the time at low duty cycles with a 3bar fuel map and supras go by the same general rule FYI.
A helpful guideline for fuel injector sizing. Thank you. The first good bit of this post.

Thank you for your opinions. I never dive into projects. Before I commit to something I spend months finding out about things. It is the reason so many corporations trust what I do to their infrastructures when I reorganize them. I am a planner and do not like to leave hole in my plan. Toyomoto created such holes by the lack of communication. Had I known that the kit was so stripped down from the Stage II IS300 hundred kit I would have just bought the Stage I and constructed my own monster.

I consider this Stage II kit a Stage I kit that I have to upgrade myself anyway. The 10 lbs of boost will be good until I break in the units and then I will increase performance.
Old 10-31-02, 08:50 PM
NONE
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Hermosa

Sorry None, but you could not be more wrong. I did go over what was included and it was comparable to the Stage II IS 300 kit. I have asked them repeatedly what the entire kit includes to make sure but I have never got an answer. There is no research involved here as Toyomoto will not give information. I originally bought this through a dealership but Toyomoto failed to provide the product and after being 30 days delinquent I eliminated the dealership out of the loop.
I know what I wanted which is why I ordered the Stage II and not the Stage 1.5 or 1. They simply have a very poor interface with customers. This plan for me turboing the SC started in February when Swift decided not to supercharge my SC400. If you were in this forum long enough you would understand how long this has been going on. Please read up. Toyomoto was supposed to have everything to me by mid July to late July at the very latest. Today is the last day of October.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am confused then if you know what comes in the kit how do you not know if you got all you paied for? You say they wouldnt go over what you get for the money? thats a lot of trust.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is no excuse for bad service and misinformation. You should not simply write off poor business and customer skills by saying, "Well they are just engineers..." If that is the case you do not sell your products directly. You have someone else market and sell the parts. All they have to do is put the information out once and give this to distributors.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like I said it is not right but thats the way it is. You say they should have someone sell there products, I dont disagree but they dont.

A load of doodie, hehe. All it takes is organization and a respect for those who support what they like to do most.

Hummm how would you ship a kit complete if you dont have the parts? I am not saying this happend as I have no idea just pointing out some of the things you come to expect after a while. I agree all it takes is organization. How much of that have you found? hence the point of the post

Sorry but this is a ludicrous statement.

As ludicrous as taking 3 months to ship something I would say. Its a fact, you can say it shouldnt be and I agree. I said that after 5 months of wating for a simple set of 850cc inj and fuel rails but it didnt make it show up any faster.

A helpful guideline for fuel injector sizing. Thank you. The first good bit of this post.

LOL well I am glad I could lend some help. As I said its my .02 cents if you dont agree thats fine. You seam to expect a professional business atmosphere and I have not found this as of yet, if you find this unuseful information then all I say is good luck to you.

Thank you for your opinions. I never dive into projects. Before I commit to something I spend months finding out about things. It is the reason so many corporations trust what I do to their infrastructures when I reorganize them. I am a planner and do not like to leave hole in my plan. Toyomoto created such holes by the lack of communication. Had I known that the kit was so stripped down from the Stage II IS300 hundred kit I would have just bought the Stage I and constructed my own monster.

I consider this Stage II kit a Stage I kit that I have to upgrade myself anyway. The 10 lbs of boost will be good until I break in the units and then I will increase performance.

I am as I said sorry if my post came across the wrong way. I have nothing to gain by posting a single thing just though I would give some insite. I have dealt with most of the major performance companys and very few stand out as good at customer service. Its a sad thing but the fact is you have to do a lot of the leg work yourself, I have built many projects and have four ongoing now I have been there belive me.

Maybe my SC project will go a bit smother going with the GTE motor and more proven systems.

Sorry for the whole post being in bold I cant get the quote coad to split it up.
Old 10-31-02, 10:44 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Hermosa,

I would suggest that you request a full refund. Send everything back and start over with Sound Performance. This is crazy...far too long to wait for products. Far too long. I dont give a ratts a## about the race car or this or that...esp if Lance is running around the country racing. What if he gets in a wreck...and is unable to return? Who is out?

Get your money back. Period

Sound Performance has a list of happy customers and they build hot damn fast cars. They race them...but can still be at the shop to answer the phone. Simple really
Old 10-31-02, 11:19 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Hermosa,

Another example. I have been waiting a long time for a supercharger kit for my SC4. Car has been sitting in my garage and is waiting for boost. I have owned and built up a Supra twinturbo and still have several Toyota's sitting here. I could have built up the SC3...but, I already had a Supra twin and honestly I like that V8 in the SC4. It just needs some boost.

My example. Area 51 has made such a supercharger kit for the SC4 and will soon market the entire kit for sale. I will pay whatever the asking price is for the complete bolt on kit. No questions asked. However, I will not deposit 1c into Area51 accounts until the entire kit is ready to ship. Sure, I will put a deposit down....say 500 dollars to show my good faith. But the kit will be ready to ship before its paid for.

There are other shops. Please visit them.
Old 11-01-02, 04:26 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

ok lets see if i can sort this out...
sc300 kit and is300 kit are very different..similar but different...and the stage 2 is300 kit isnt 6,000...

you didnt order a kit complete.....you asked for certian items to be removed from the kit.......when ordered from bay imports..

when the order is being shipped out you then decide to drop the people you bought it from out of the picture and shipping addresses changed and mistakes on fed-ex....the package got shipped to the wrong address....then ended up being retunred to toyomoto...1 of the 2 packages that is.....the original packing was destroyed so lance repacked it and it ended up lighter....the weights were estimated so it was lighter the second time shipped...NOTHING was missing....

yes the kit did take a while to get together.......it takes time to source out everything as none pointed out.........yes there were other employee problems that led to the delay......and lance apologized for the mistakes and time taken......but the bashing your dooing isnt gonna solve anything......toyomoto has many very happy customers as does SP...and yes SP has there disgruntled customers as does every company...as hard as you try you can not please everyone all the time.....and SP does not go across the country on the NHRA and NOPI racing series...the travel involved is what took up ALOT of time...and i know this isnt an excuse and you dont care about the race car....but it was one of the delays also....

i have tried to help you out ...and you just continue to bash........enough....there are many variables in the picture...
toyomoto admits there were issues on there end and apologizes...but the last piece is waiting to be delivered....its on the truck going to your house.......please recieve it so you can add boost...at least toyomoto made a kit for your car unlike srt.....

as for waiting on boost for the sc400...people have been waiting since 92...but no kit ever came out.....hope someone can pull through for ya..

hope some happiness finds you...Jeff
Old 11-01-02, 05:53 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

I would not call it bashing. I am just sharing information as you are in defending them. I ordered the kit without the intercooler since I had one. That is the only part. You make it seem like I asked for many parts to be omitted. I paid $6500 for the kit and not $6000. The reason why I did not get the intercooler is because I already had one and they were going to charge me $1000 for it. And as far as shipping weight, Fedex weighs the package before and uses this value for billing since weight is a parameter in the shipping cost. I just need Toyomoto to make good on their promises. Plain and simple the way in which this product was handled was not professional.

As mentioned earlier they need to write the specifics of each kit down on paper and then assess how long each part takes to receive. Then they can accurately predict how long a product takes to complete. Once they have this information then they can even set up a system that will automatically send a request for a part to all the companies involved once the order is made for the kit.

This thread is educational to all those who want to buy a turbo kit from Toyomoto. They will now know not to expect their product to arrive in time but that they will eventually get it months later. They know they will be left in the dark about things and will have to rely on others(this site) to get things going.

The install is going to be photographed and documented for others to see the install process so that alone will be educational.

By the way they shipped the box to the wrong address again. So I have to deal with another delay.

Last edited by Hermosa; 11-01-02 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-01-02, 06:04 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Hermosa,

I thought I read this wrong..... but they really sent it to the WRONG address AGAIN?

This is the re-shipped box? Does that mean it will go back to Toyomoto AGAIN and then take another 2 weeks to get it?

You have got to be joking.

MW
Old 11-01-02, 06:39 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

you have had a one time problem...yes the kits are not ready to be shipped off the shelf..and that has never been advertised as such...it does take time to get it together......im sorry that toyomoto doesent run the business to your liking....quality is job one...and sometimes quality takes time....in your case it was excessive...and that has been apologized for....
as for a wrong address now?....it should have gone to the same address as the last box you recieved...dont know why it would be a wrong address now?...ill try to help check into it.....
im sorry i had the exact numbers wrong...i was just trying to get ideas....and still a stage 2 is300 kit is alot more than 7500.

as for the specifics on the kit i thought dan went over it with you?...if not...im suprised...

"This thread is educational to all those who want to buy a turbo kit from Toyomoto. They will now know not to expect their product to arrive in time but that they will eventually get it months later. They know they will be left in the dark about things and will have to rely on others(this site) to get things going."
this is not correct..as i have explained there were extreme circumstances that occured in your sale ....from your side...toyomoto's side and fed-exs side......the 3 have compounded each other...there are many other people that have had no problems with there kit...so this should not be a lesson in what to expect but better yet a worse case scenerio........

as for the wrong address....on time was toyomoto misswriting the address,,,once was fed ex not changing the address on both boxes..they only changed one...and i dont know whats up with the 3rd time here......
ill leave you alone now hermosa...i was trying to help but obviously its not appreciated

Jeff
Old 11-01-02, 06:54 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Jeff I do appreciate the help earlier but you mention that I am bashing Toyomoto and you defend them yet you bash me?

I can use the help getting the kit but I am not interested in someone justifying their actions or lack thereof. I know they are not organized and that they have things to do but one of those things is to get customers' kits sent out on time.

The IS300 kit is more because it is installed too. Toyomoto told the shop that was going to do the install that it would take 62-72 hours for my install. That is $6k to $7k in labor here. That would bring a Stage II kit for SC owners here to $13500 and up which is not far off from the IS300 kit that has so much more. They basically killed my install from shops with this inflated labor estimate. I would imagine that the install is going to take me 24 hours max. The kit is only really 330RWHP and does not come with the equipment to bring it to 450RWHP as advertised so I do not have to worry about tuning.
Old 11-01-02, 07:10 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

i am not trying to bash you at all....nor am i trying to justify..i am just explaining.........i dont know about the install..i had toyomoto do it...and toyomoto has no way of knowing how competent a shop is....mabye that has to do with the safe side of estimating?..i dont know...i apologize if you ever thought i was bashing you..just trying to help and explain........thats all.....

as for the kit...you have a thicker head gasket.......440 injeectors....and fuel pump....why do you say only 330hp?....all you need is a boost controller?......and tunning mabye im wrong?....Jeff

Quick Reply: Question for Toyomoto Turbo owners