Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Question for Toyomoto Turbo owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-02, 11:23 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the package redirected. Wastegate is missing. The instructions that were promised are not in the box. Jeff if you do want to help maybe we can itemize the kit and then we can compare what is missing. I need the instructions and wastegate by next Wednesday at the very latest.

Last edited by Hermosa; 11-01-02 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-02-02, 12:59 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Just relax a little, Hermosa... Everything will work out for you. As far as 330rwhp, it just seems like a comment made out of frustration (justified). I would guess the hours for install are about correct as the head gasket takes a lot of time (I'm doing mine this month, too). I have the basic instruction sheet for my install, but it was pretty vague. Being hostile towards Lance isn't going to help get everything installed properly, you're gonna have to ask some more questions during the install. My guess is that with all the public complaints, he's probably not gonna give you the same benefits he did to some others. (Borrowed tools, made 02 sensor with fittings, harnesses, different wastegate springs, etc.) Lance really did help me through my install with all these things. Good luck, though. We'll answer as many Q's as possible. You can e-mail me install questions directly (I'm on-line all the time) scott@datapathusa.com

FWIW... I think the NHRA racing season is over for now...
Old 11-02-02, 01:13 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott,

That is not even funny. To think that a company would delay shipping product to a customer and then when the customer reacts, they decide not to support the install of said product is just not good. If you are saying that this is the way Lance runs his company, then I would have to say that he wouldn't get my vote for business of the year.

I really think that now that the product may actually arrive to Hermosa, that Lance should offer his support to get installed and happy. I think that any person selling a product would want that for his customer. Don't you?

Maybe there is a way that Lance could talk to Hermosa and sort this ordeal out with a simple phone call, a fax of parts he should have, and installation instructions. That I think is something that would ease everyones tensions on this issue.

MW
Old 11-02-02, 07:43 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SC300T
Just relax a little, Hermosa... Everything will work out for you. As far as 330rwhp, it just seems like a comment made out of frustration (justified).
Toyomoto said that is the HP that I would get unless I bought extra items. A kit should contain all the items needed to get to the level that they claim it should go. I should not have to buy an S-AFC and a boost controller separate.

Being hostile towards Lance isn't going to help get everything installed properly, you're gonna have to ask some more questions during the install.
I am not being hostile at all. This thread should help Toyomoto become more responsible. If they take it the right way then it will be a wake-up call.

My guess is that with all the public complaints, he's probably not gonna give you the same benefits he did to some others. (Borrowed tools, made 02 sensor with fittings, harnesses, different wastegate springs, etc.)
The O2 sensor is a direct bolt-on. If it is not then an adapter should be included in the kit. If it takes 4 months to get each piece I am not interested in little extras.

Lance really did help me through my install with all these things. Good luck, though. We'll answer as many Q's as possible. You can e-mail me install questions directly (I'm on-line all the time) scott@datapathusa.com
Thank you very much, Scott. Hopefully I will make a step by step install with pics for all turbo hopefuls. In the long run this will be very beneficial to Toyomoto as they can point people to the install instructions (which will be a separate thread). I want everyone to understand that this is to everyones benefit.
Old 11-02-02, 10:10 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Toyomoto said that is the HP that I would get unless I bought extra items. A kit should contain all the items needed to get to the level that they claim it should go. I should not have to buy an S-AFC and a boost controller separate.
My thoughts here are that they are gonna give you a "beginner" spring in the wastegate. Don't wanna rip right out and boost the crap out of it without tuning, getting to know it, etc. Lance gave me a 5-6lb spring at first, then we bumped it up to a 9lb spring later on when it was tuned at 6lbs. Then I added a boost controller later on. A simple wastegate spring change would get you to your hp level, but that's not the best way to do it.

No one else includes an S-AFC and Boost controller. It is not reasonable to assume that these would be included. Your particular shop has their "favorite" brand. Most of these items are personal preference. Some shops know Apexi, some know HKS, etc...

If you're gonna stay with the stock ECU and run street tires, you will need alot of flexibility in boost levels. Id go with a boost controller that allows gear based and rpm based boost, that way you can take advantage of the stock ECUs timing curve which is retarded on the top end. You can also limit peak boost in 1st and 2nd, which will make your car faster (prevent wheelspin).
Old 11-03-02, 03:20 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Hermosa,

As I prev stated and Jon has just stated. Get your money back. Period.
Old 11-03-02, 11:47 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

All I'm saying is that I was nice and polite to Lance. The service I got in return was very good although sometimes slow, which is understandable to me---everything is custom. Someone threatens my business with lawsuits, etc. do you think I'm gonna do the guy any favors? Its a very elementary rule of small business "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours". I'm not saying that Lance should give Hermosa bad service. I think he should give good service with a reasonable response. Its unfortunate that the kit took so long and that there were snags along the way.

I think the main problem right now with the shop is that you ask Lance for a time table, he always x amount of time when it really means 3x amount of time. He really could be better and tell people up front that the kits will take a minimum of two months and average three months to make. I thought everyone on the board knew in advance that Lance can be slow and mis-quote delivery times.
Old 11-03-02, 11:57 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

As I prev stated and Jon has just stated. Get your money back. Period.
I couldn't disagree more... You're rounding third and heading for home. To switch vendors would be a waste of time and energy. Not to mention that Toyomoto's product is known as having the highest quality (aside from a Clint Pohler or Ethan Banks like setup which is a minimum of $60k.)
Old 11-03-02, 01:08 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

In any bad situation that seems to get worse at every turn....its best to cut losses and start over. This is a comedy of errors and mistruths at best and just plain fraud at worst. Either way I can predict nothing but bad feelings and bad luck from both parties if this deal goes through.
Old 11-03-02, 08:29 PM
rexst_ph
Driver School Candidate

I decided to put my .02 worth because I can appreciate and identify with Hermosa's problem. I mentioned earlier that I got my kit from Lance in 97. Even then, when he probably wasn't as busy with supplying kits for the sc3, it was not very easy to get in touch with him. However, in all fairness, when i did get to speak to him, he proved to be very accommodating and helpful on all my technical concerns.

If i remember correctly, there were also some delays in the shipment. at that time, he had not yet gotten the cast manifold production down to a science. In then end, I still needed to buy several things to make the kit work more flexibly ( variable boost, etc..) I still dont get the hp you guys are getting. My safe output on pump gas is 285 rwhp at 14 lbs. I think this is way too much boost for daily driving. I'd prefer a turbo which can give me the hp at lower boost settings. Heck I have everything that you guys discussed in the stage II kit (including the headgasket)..

I have tried several times to get in touch with Lance over the last 2 years hoping that he would respond to my e-mails. After all, I am a repeat customer. In fact I e-mailed him again 2 weeks ago. I have yet to get a response on any of my e-mails. Late response is unfortunate but to not respond at all does really disappoint me. I've been waiting to improve my vehicle's performance. i just wish toyomoto would help out like they used to.
Old 11-03-02, 08:34 PM
rexst_ph
Driver School Candidate

Scott:

Maybe you can help me. Can you just give me an idea of what I need to add to my 300 to get the 400rwhp I want? Based on what I read from this thread, you guys didnt change fuel rails or main injectors. Is this right. Man, i would appreciate all the help and advice. thanks
Old 11-03-02, 09:27 PM
SC300TURBO
Lexus Test Driver

i dont have much time so ill try to be quick and polite...

lex...your comments suprise me alot.....alot...

everyone is on the outside of the glass throwing stones....yes there has been faults.....but like sc300t said...he is rounding 3rd and heading home....and his comments about the boost controller and fuel control are right on....every shop has there preferances and this is why its not apart of the kit...mine were purchased from toyomoto and installed at toyomoto so its a different story.....
if theres anything missing ill do my best to get it corrected for ya as a freind here......ill work with toyomoto to get ya the directions and the other items necessary...<wastegate>
Lance will not turn his back to you because of your threats but i agree its not helpfull to bas on here..lance is once of the kindest good hearted people you will ever meet...he is not out to screw you or anyone......you dont need any other parts..just controling devices......he could have added a 15psi spring and had ya at high boost but thats not a good idea.......ya know?.....you want to have the ability to turn things down and turn em up when needed...there also isnt a turbo timer included...because every shop/person has there preferances.....
is there anything in the kit that dosent seem quality to you?....hermosa?

Lex i think you need to come to miami for a couple of days so you and i can hang on south beath in my sc300 and see what ya think then...and well include a lunch with lance then make your decisions....trust me ..it will be worth the time .....and bring the Mrs. ....ill reply more tommorrow....hope this helps..Jeff
Old 11-03-02, 10:13 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe you can help me. Can you just give me an idea of what I need to add to my 300 to get the 400rwhp I want? Based on what I read from this thread, you guys didnt change fuel rails or main injectors. Is this right. Man, i would appreciate all the help and advice. thanks
I can take a stab at it, but need to know what you currently have. Running 14psi with that low of rwhp means: You've got the low compression (8.5:1) head gasket, and a small turbo or something is not tuned correctly. I can just give you my recipe (as detailed as possible for amount of space and a "*" if it was included within the kit Lance originally sent ($6600). If it was added later I used the "#" symbol.

1. Toyomoto Manifold *
2. Toyomoto piping for intercooler *
3. Toyota ABV *
4. Turbonetics T60-1 turbo .58a/r *
5. Turbonetics Deltagate and closed loop w/g piping *
6. Toyomoto Downpipe *
7. Toyomoto Midpipe Catless #
8. 6psi Wastegate spring *
9. 9psi Wastegate spring *
10. Toyomoto intake system and air filter*
11. Stock MAF
12. Stock exhaust from midpipe back
13. Toyota MK3 turbo fuel pump *
14. Toyota fuel line fittings and line to tee into system *
15. Two 550cc aux injectors *
16. Haltec Aux Injection controller *
17. Toyota MKIV side mount intercooler *
18. Oil Feed fittings, lines and return lines *
19. NGK 3330 spark plugs #
20. MSD 6BTM ignition #
21. Apexi AVC-R #
22. Autometer boost and air/fuel gauges #

Lance estimated as high as 360rwhp with 10psi of boost on stock compression. With the MSD box and AVC-R was able to run 10psi at >5000rpm and up to 14psi above 5000rpm. This setup yielded 423rwhp on 14psi up top (at 6600rpm). (423rwhp wouldn't have been possible without the AVC-Rs ability to vary boost by rpm - at least with the stock ECU). The main issue is the stock ECU advances quite a bit around 3500-5000rpm, then starts to dial it back. Only then can you up the boost. Alternately you could probably run up to 14psi at all levels if you retard the timing in the area around 4500rpm. Either way there will be a trade off, either increase the boost up top, or increase the timing up top. Both will serve their function of increasing HP.

If I run 9psi with no extra boost up top (similar to just using the wastegate's internal spring) the car does an estimated 360rwhp.

Also, has anyone tuned your car? Is it an automatic?
Old 11-04-02, 12:02 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
...i'll just do it my damn self...
- Jon
That is the best option.
Old 11-04-02, 01:40 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Jeff, maybe it is a bit out of character for me, but i'm so frustrated for this guy, can't Lance just make it right for him? As you know i'm normally not so judgemental, I will edit my posts and wait to see if Lance takes care of him, which i'm sure he will, I know that these things take time and aren't off the shelf, and that the IC piping is butter, as is the rest of the kit, it's just that this problem needs to be addressed for him. And I know i've been saying it for awhile, but we'll be down to see you and Aly soon as there's time, and i'll be glad to take you and Lance to lunch and the Kennel Club, matter of fact i'll PM you when I have a couple minutes and we'll discuss business....
- Jon

Quick Reply: Question for Toyomoto Turbo owners