Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Differential question for anyone running 750(ish)whp through R154

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-12 | 09:12 PM
Reesetrict
Driver School Candidate

Lex, what diff were you running before the 3.77?
Old 03-07-12 | 03:15 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

4.27.. was killer off the line bad had zero pullo up top and cruised high in the rpm range
Old 03-07-12 | 07:40 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blackkarma
I cant really tell you about the diff since i havent slapped my setup together in my sc yet but I can tell you about the r154 being i have ran many of them in my supras. At that 700-850 range a r154 can hold up if you make a few internal changes in the right spots. Now most people will tell you theres no way but after destroying a few, theres a few tricks you can do during a rebuild to keep the tranny surviving. So far a buddy of mine who is making 800+ and drives the car like an animal has managed to keep his r154 up and in good shape for the last 8 months. Still in the trial and error phase so i cant say it will last forever but nothing ever does. The great thing about having a sc is you have the v160 on the mkiii's we arent so lucky.

It really depends i had more R154s than anybody on this forum, i went thru different setup every other week lol. i am not saying that they are week or anything.
it's alot of factors , I drive my car everyday 50miles one way and i drive trust me on that at 600rwhp i ALWAYS have issues with PP breaking of seal blowing out of the tailshaft at 150mph+ not fun it happen to me a couple times.
Every setup is going to be different, I cannot compare myself to your .. Why? because i dd my car not that i have too , but i wanted to find the weakest link on my car and love driving it!

I am not sure so maybe it may last you 8 months and last me 8 weeks, it all depend on how much TQ because the tq is what distroys the trans, clutch and drivetrain, how much you drive, how you drive, what clutch are you using, alot of other stuff...

if i dd my car and actually drive it everything in get in it, and you just drive yours once a week for 3 hours , so i can't compare my setup to yours to determine reliability.
Old 03-12-12 | 05:47 AM
blackkarma
Driver School Candidate

Sorry it took me so long to hit you back reesetrict i forgot i posted til i got the reminder i will shoot you a pm.

Quicksc4- my buddys supra and my own have always been daily drivers and when i say daily i mean it every single day. I personally see no point in having a car with all this hp and letting it sit in the garage most of the year pretty sure i hit that in my first thread, but like i said this is whats working for us and after all ive been through believe will help others. It is true torque curve, clutch, driving style, etc...these things all play a large factor. This is the reason i didnt put in the thread what steps i gave taken to make the trans last longer not into being blamed for others oversite. The trans has lasted 8 months so far on a driving regimate similar to your own. Let me ask you a question: what clutch are you running? What are you doing to fix your persistant problem? Lastly if you dont mind shoot me a pm with all the issues youve seen if you want we can compare notes and maybe add more tools and tricks to the toolbox
Old 03-12-12 | 06:31 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for your reply .

Ok so you have an Supra? does your friend also have a Supra? what year Supra ? I am asking because this weekend i was looking at the driveshaft setup on the SC with R154.
What R154 do you have? MK3 or Chaser with the tripod shifter? the chaser has a breather and the Mk3 doesn't
And i think the oil leak is front the DS not going all the way in (little shorter) than normal that made the cause of the Oil leak out of the tailshaft. But my swap was complete when i bought it from a local , he said he never had that issue.

But then my friend has a brand new R154 from toyota in his car, with a Steel driveshaft , correct length and it still leaked lol its really funny.

I was running an ACT clutch, I loved but i after alot of research i just found my issues on the PP. Like i was saying on my previous post, i was breaking the straps on the PP! it was breaking due to the "High rpm down shift" again i am not the only one with this issue, there is a guy on here "cleanshot" and another one on SF "Serpentkilla".

Trans is long gone, my buddy bought to rebuild it .

Actually i am doing another R154 swap in an SC300 i'll yall posted. i like to posted my findings but i don't feel like everyone here do the same. Some don't like people knowing they are blowing up there stuff or breaking stuff.
I'll Pm you hopefully we can solve thess issues!!!
Old 03-12-12 | 06:13 PM
blackkarma
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
Thanks for your reply .

Ok so you have an Supra? does your friend also have a Supra? what year Supra ? I am asking because this weekend i was looking at the driveshaft setup on the SC with R154.
What R154 do you have? MK3 or Chaser with the tripod shifter? the chaser has a breather and the Mk3 doesn't
And i think the oil leak is front the DS not going all the way in (little shorter) than normal that made the cause of the Oil leak out of the tailshaft. But my swap was complete when i bought it from a local , he said he never had that issue.

But then my friend has a brand new R154 from toyota in his car, with a Steel driveshaft , correct length and it still leaked lol its really funny.

I was running an ACT clutch, I loved but i after alot of research i just found my issues on the PP. Like i was saying on my previous post, i was breaking the straps on the PP! it was breaking due to the "High rpm down shift" again i am not the only one with this issue, there is a guy on here "cleanshot" and another one on SF "Serpentkilla".

Trans is long gone, my buddy bought to rebuild it .

Actually i am doing another R154 swap in an SC300 i'll yall posted. i like to posted my findings but i don't feel like everyone here do the same. Some don't like people knowing they are blowing up there stuff or breaking stuff.
I'll Pm you hopefully we can solve thess issues!!!
yeah we both have 89 MKIII's well i should say i did have one until a month ago when i sold my shell and bought the SC300 i have now. i have a MKIII R154 an I've never had that problem with leaking, it would lead me to believe 1 of 3 things tho: 1. drive shaft itself is a bit short 2. seal needs to be replaced or 3. your transmission is not mounted properly. Doesn't make since for Toyota/Lexus to make a drive shaft that didn't fit properly, specially considering the setup has been around for 20+ years now.

I know the ACT extreme is suppose to a great clutch i personally ran a RPS 6 puck prior to going to a twin OS Giken. If I were you i would start looking for a twin or triple disk b/c you don't want to apply to much pressure on those thrust washers.

I am also getting ready to do a r154 swap in my SC300, please keep us posted and i will do the same. shoot me that PM when your ready...like i said before you guys are lucky many options those with MKIII not so many so gotta make the good stuff last.