Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

MVP AEM Email Tune????

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 07:11 AM
88supramki
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spoolexo is a big advocate for DIY, while it doesn't work for everyone I can commend his point of view.
Old 03-08-12, 07:47 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cartmill
as every car is different, but don't knock on the email tunes quite so hard
True, It's not that I'm knocking tunes from afar, it's just that most people have good gas in their area. This is an often overlooked dynamic when it comes to tuning.

With the ****-water 91 octane around here, I wouldn't recommend an email tune for a standalone for any of my Local customers because we have crap 91 octane gas.

After ruining my life playing with DSM's, one thing became very necessary after being disappointed from broken parts, reliability.

Cause lets face it, who the hell wants to rebuild an engine just because the tuner forgot there isn't any good gas in your area?

Is all I'm saying!
Old 03-08-12, 08:26 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is what Dusty posted on another thread

Thanks for your review of our turning service as well as your continued support of MVP. I would like to touch on a few points of yours.

The tune can be adequate for a full tune. It does indeed take more time...more of your time and ours...but its included for the price. The tune is only as good as you, the end user, help us make it. Meaning you have to drive the car in all the different gears, in as many ways as you can, and log it all. If you don't do this, we can't get a clear picture thousands of miles away. You also have to clearly communicate any issues with us so we can resolve them. There's never been a single AEM-related issue we can't solve over email and via map changes. There have been mechanical issues but that has nothing to do with our tune, even though sometimes uneducated end users don't seem to grasp the difference.

Contact can be slow, it can be fast, and it can be somewhere in between. It depends on how many people are currently tuning with us and how much spare time our tuner has. He has a normal 9-5 job and a family. He e-tunes in his spare time. I never want anyone to purchase this service from us who absolutely must have their Supra tuned by "X" date, unless that date is quite a ways in the future. Don't expect to purchase this and have your Supra perfectly tuned in a week or 2. Sometimes you may, but most often not. We have to wait on you to provide us logs, then you have to wait on us to send you the next map, then you have to upload the map and drive/log some more. It takes time as you already said. This is a time consuming process for both you and us. If you aren't prepared for that then don't purchase it.

Just for clarification, we did not recently up the price to $400. We upped the price from $300 to $400 on June 15th of 2010. It was simply taking too much time to only be charging $300, and considering we still cost a LOT less than any dyno tuning, we feel its a very fair price.

Our only competition online for this is one of our competitors and they charge $300 for JUST A BASE MAP. Nothing else. Think about that...$300 to email you a single base map that will, at best, let you crank your Supra. You can get those for free!
We charge $100 more than them for a full technical service with unlimited email swaps.

I feel your review is fair, and again thanks for giving everyone some feedback. I do not agree that the tuning is not adequate for a full tune, and we have a lot of satisfied customers that would agree with me on this as well. It is time consuming for everyone though, there's no way around that.

Best,

Dusty
Old 03-08-12, 08:37 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Not everyone like to mess with the parameter in the EMS for the first time, not everyone has the time to learn how to really tune a car..scare to blow up their engine which i understand that's not your job!
Everything come with the time, as time go by you get little confortable when you ready and learn more about your Ems.

For they send you a map, they will ask you all types of questions about your setup gas, injectors, turbo, cams, fuel pumps, fpr, map sensor,transmission, compression ratio etc... i mean everything.

The email tuning is not for everyone, DiY is not for everyone.
Old 03-08-12, 10:04 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing more insight on this thread Quick.
Old 03-15-12, 11:34 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Any updates i know you got that beast on the road, what's the deal with the tune?
Old 03-18-12, 03:58 PM
dawizone
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tune is going great... I just started getting into the boost phase and let me tell you the thing pulls like a freight train... its at hold right now... I have to work out and oil leak... think its either cam seals or front main seal... but on the tune side couldnt be happier... more to follow