Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Heater Control Valve Repair w/MKIII Supra Valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-12, 05:35 PM
joliroger4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heater Control Valve Repair w/MKIII Supra Valve

As many of you have probably experienced at some point with your SC, the heater control valve nipples tend to get brittle and break and will result in a coolant leak. I was suffering this very issue and after purchasing one off ebay a few weeks ago, found the valve I purchased was broken just like the one in my car. Used valves run anywhere from 60-200 on ebay and a new one will run you close to 400. This week I decided to look at the MKIII supra heater control valve because I had two spares from my MKIII Supra. Well I was in luck.

Here are the two valves side by side. What you need to do is remove the two screws holding the actual black valve itself to the whole control valve assembly on both valves.

You should be left with a valve that looks like this:

Now you need to remove both arms and take your existing SC arm and move it over to the MKIII valve. The SC arm is on the left and has the larger offset. It is oriented differently in relationship to the pivot as well.

Low and behold, it is the same exact valve as what you took off the SC assembly now. Reassemble the supra valve with its new arm onto the SC assembly and you have yourself a replacement valve ready to reinstall.

I know the MKIII Supra heater control valves can be had for cheaper than the SC valves on ebay and from the MKIII Supras I have worked on, I haven't run into any valves with broken nipples. That could be purely coincidental however. Perhaps the bare valves from other toyota vehicles will fit as well. This hopefully will give you at least another option in repairing this issue.

-Dave
Old 03-15-12, 06:44 PM
chizz95
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going through this with my sc3 na-t right now..!! Haha

No junkyards around me have any sc's..eBay was my only option but didn't feel like paying $130

I fusor'd(type of epoxy)my broken nipple back on,we'll see if it holds its strong stuff,if it doesn't work I'm going to find mkIII SUPRA thanks..!!!