Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How Do you feel about a Fan Clutch delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-12, 08:28 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

are just going by what people say? i don't go by that i got by FIRST hand experience what i used in the past or what am using.

What kind of e fans and shroud are the guys that are going back to stock clutch fan used? what some $30 ebay Efan without a shroud, or some uses nissan efans? come on their is always an exception and you know that.

You seen HH Supra or SC using stock clutch fan and i know people with HH cars running Efans w/o any issues.

I can feel the air draft behind the car with force with my efans ! do you feel the air behind your bumper with you clutch fan? i don't think so!

Again I still use both and they both work great ( Efans work great on 1500hp cars if you use the correct fans and shroud).

Last edited by 99SC42; 03-28-12 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-28-12, 08:33 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trufanatic
Not all cars that come from the factory are making the power 1j and 2jz motors do and we cant dismiss that an *** of power equals increased heat.. Electric fans tend to fail at prolonged high rpms and with the toyota shroud air is directed over more surface area with the clutch setup than it would two 9'' fans. And no everyone over at SF is not fleeing to the PHR shroud/electric setup. I see PLENTY of high power supras and SCs in south florida last year at our bbq of maybe 20-30 supras , 1 had the PHR setup(asked myself wtf it was for a minute) and of all the high powered sc, all were running a clutch fan. There are also plenty thread on SC of people going back to the clutch fan setup

My perfect alternative would be the 97-98 supra shroud with the two small electric fans. Only reason is when stopped in south florida heat they come in handy with cooling the condenser. But i guess to each his own.
Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
MOST newer cars with bigger motors or boosted motors run Efans bone stock.

Before anyone questions this, here is a short list

Evo
STi/WRX
350Z
Camaro
Corvette
Mustang (V6, GT, Cobra, Shelby GT500)

They are super reliable but do in general have a CFM limitation.
A properly shrouded setup on our cars SHOULD be just fine.

To answer your question about stock cars...

Correct not all cars but a good portion of them which do come out of the box pushing some great HP numbers are.. again please read post (#10) above..

hell you want great cooling from a EFAN? Get yourself the Ford Taurus fan (the year escapes me) and set that one up.. Start up amps for that behemoth is 90 amps..
and to be totally honest, I almost went that route but was afraid on that amount of draw.. RPM dippage at its finest.. lol
Old 03-28-12, 08:36 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

I personally ran a set of Hayden E-fans on a thermo switch and on constant at one time.. both setups did the job and the fans still operate perfectly fine to this day.. (unfortunately I had to remove them due to piping setup) but will be going back..

Which E-fans would be recommended aside from Flex-a-lite..
Old 03-28-12, 08:37 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

no one is denying the awesome power of the 2jz stock clutch fan, but the stock toyota e-fans are a good option for a lot of supra/sc owners.
Old 03-28-12, 08:42 AM
Dms3603
Rookie

Im running electric fans on my stock ge and havent had any problems. The only thing i can say is that they are alot louder than stock but that my 2 cents
Old 03-28-12, 08:50 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

^ I completely understand about being loud on stock car! but on Boosted application i don't even hear the fans running because of the fuel pumps and 4" exhaust.

Jae if you can get the IS300/GS300 fans they come with the shroud get it and you will be very happy with them.

I wouldn't recommend/talk about them if they were junk remember that!!
Old 03-28-12, 09:19 AM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Converting from the stock fan clutch to an efan is quite a bit of work for not much benefit. The extra draw that a good quality efan requires would cause additional drag from the alternator negating the benefit of reducing the drag from the stock fan clutch. The Toyota fans are set up very well compared to my e39 BMW where the stock fan clutch was directly bolted to the water pump. That setup would seize if you didn't replace the fan clutch after a certain milestone causing certain issue with the fan blades shattering and tearing stuff up in the engine bay. Now that, I would recommend converting to efans as it would be more reliable. But I digress, the Toyota fan clutch is not directly bolted to the motor and and works very well with its hydraulic setup and wouldn't change it for noisier efans which may also introduce electrical noise into your sound system.
If it ain't broke.. why fix? just my .02
Old 03-28-12, 10:16 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
^ I completely understand about being loud on stock car! but on Boosted application i don't even hear the fans running because of the fuel pumps and 4" exhaust.

Jae if you can get the IS300/GS300 fans they come with the shroud get it and you will be very happy with them.

I wouldn't recommend/talk about them if they were junk remember that!!

i like them but that reservoir location is an eye soar for me man.. Something about that thing just eats at me.. lol

how do you have them setup? Constant or of a temperature setting?
Old 03-28-12, 10:36 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

The overflow bottle is made into the fan shroud ! you don't like that? lol you are the first one haha but ill grow on you.

My ems was control sthe fan, they come on at certain Temp ~ 201*
Old 03-28-12, 10:39 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
The overflow bottle is made into the fan shroud ! you don't like that? lol you are the first one haha but ill grow on you.

My ems was control sthe fan, they come on at certain Temp ~ 201*
yea man.. lol.. im sure it will.

I enjoyed the e-fan setup so much.. made the bay cleaner and easier to work on should you want to adjust cam gears or just check things out in the front..
Old 03-28-12, 10:43 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Luv2xl
hell you want great cooling from a EFAN? Get yourself the Ford Taurus fan (the year escapes me) and set that one up.. Start up amps for that behemoth is 90 amps..
and to be totally honest, I almost went that route but was afraid on that amount of draw.. RPM dippage at its finest.. lol
The Lincoln Mark VIII had probably the largest fan know to mankind (might be the same as the taurus fan you're referring to). Even modular 96-04 Mustangs had quite good fans that would be sufficient for us. LS1 fans from Camaros are another cheap and high flowing option.

I personally still feel GS/IS fans are fine.
Old 03-29-12, 07:19 AM
Luv2xl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
The Lincoln Mark VIII had probably the largest fan know to mankind (might be the same as the taurus fan you're referring to). Even modular 96-04 Mustangs had quite good fans that would be sufficient for us. LS1 fans from Camaros are another cheap and high flowing option.

I personally still feel GS/IS fans are fine.
Same fan actually..