Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Bad Engine Skip

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-02, 03:24 PM
OLDsc4me
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bad Engine Skip

Hey fellow SCrs, have any of you had this problem? Car starts with no problem. It runs smooth then starts to skip with slight engine shake. The skip is more pronounced and aggrevating during gear changes and from full start (1st gear). I've replaced the plugs and ohm'd all the wires. The rotors needed a bit of cleanup but were not to bad. I cleaned the engine last week and now wonder if somehow I got water into some place where it definately should'nt have gone. It sounds and feels like a vacuum leak, but I can't find one (at least not an obvious one) Is there some "common" part that I should focus on? I plan on repairing this myself, but I don't want to spend too much time testing "good" parts before I find the culprit that's causing my engine to run like a wornout Dodge :-) I heard that the throttle body may need cleaning,,, would a dirty throttle body cause such a drastic change so quickly? thanks in advance

SC4Me
Old 10-29-02, 03:28 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could there be something wrong w/ the throttle body???
Old 10-29-02, 03:35 PM
OLDsc4me
Driver School Candidate

Don't know,,, the throttle body isn't damaged. it probably does need cleaning, so I'll do it anyway. Still wondering if it's an electrical component,,,,hmm
Old 10-29-02, 03:41 PM
rboorgu
Rookie

Did you replace the plugs after you cleaned the engine? Water is notorius for collecting in the rear cylinder plug holes and will cause a problem like you are describing.
Old 10-30-02, 12:00 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure if it's same issue, but i have engine shake at 40mph.
I did replaced plugs and wires 3,4 months ago. and I cleaned the engine 2 weeks ago.
Old 10-30-02, 12:12 AM
OLDsc4me
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

O.K. I just finished cleaning the throttle body, boy was is dirty! Unfortuanately, it did stop the misfiring but I can feel the boost in power. I changed the plugs after I washed the engine. I guess the rotors/cap and wires are my next step,,,, unless you guys have a better ,less expensive tip to try first :-)
Old 10-30-02, 12:13 AM
OLDsc4me
Driver School Candidate

opps I meant it "did not" stop the misfiring
Old 10-30-02, 12:21 AM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

if you don't mind me asking, what do you reccomend in cleaning the throttle body and how?

sorry, not sure as i've never done it before.
Old 10-30-02, 12:45 AM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

yea, i too would definitely like to know as my sc has gotten a tad hesitant when put under heavier throttle and im sure all it needs is a good cleaning. any certain brands/types of cleaners that should be used? also, what should i use to do it, a damp rag or something? is the throttle body right up on top of the engine, towards the back of the bay near the windshield like in a bmw?

Last edited by kylesc400; 10-30-02 at 12:46 AM.
Old 10-30-02, 03:47 AM
Toan Nguyen
Pole Position

Default Throttle body cleaning....

Get a long screwdriver, a rag and an elastic band. It's usually the entrance where the butterfly is that all the dirt accumulates. wrap the rag around the cloth and tie it down with elastic bands. turn engine off and open the butterfly and stick the rag/screwdriver in and rub around the butterfly switch. It's really easy with a Soarer GT as you just pull the cooler pipe off and the butterfly is right there.

Toan.
Old 10-30-02, 10:51 AM
OLDsc4me
Driver School Candidate

Wink

I used Havoline Throttle body cleaner. It works great! The gook was about 1/8" thick. The spray nozzel is designed to get all the way in. The cleaner dissolved the buildup like butter in a hot skillet! :-) I used a rag to get as much excess as possible. Some of it apperantly with into the cylinders,,,as this was obvious the first time I turn the engine over. It scared the heck out of me. the engine sounded as if I'd dropped a bolt in it. After several scary turnovers she fired up ,,,spitting out serious goop from the exhaust,,,but then she smoothed out and reved great. Hope this helps,,,,
Old 10-30-02, 07:08 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

The "engine shake" you feel at 40 may be the torque converter. When it locks up it can shake or make the car feel like its sputtering. It's common with these cars. I've been told a tranny fluid change is helpful, but I haven't done that yet. Check your tranny fluid level.
Old 10-30-02, 07:10 PM
rushgator
Lexus Test Driver

BTW, the last post was for Takas benefit. This should have nothing to do with sc4me's problem.
Old 10-30-02, 08:07 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

oh rushgator2112, thanks for replying on my problem. Actually I did also change tranny fluid 2,3 months ago. I'm assuming that my problem is causing by o2 sensor (i got engine check warning light, code 25). I'll change this weekend or next weekend. I'll see if it'll fit it.
Old 10-30-02, 08:16 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

could anybody tell me exactly how to gain access to the throttle body? i plan on doing a makeover on my car on saturday (tranny fluid, what should i have done - flush, refill or what? im getting that 40mph vibration too) and want to clean off the throttle body as the power delivery isnt as smooth as id like.

Quick Reply: Bad Engine Skip