Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Questions about 1jz GTE

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-02, 06:35 PM
NONE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about 1jz GTE

Well as some know I have been looking into putting a turbo in my SC300. After many talks (BTW big thatnks to Jeff for all the great info) and kicking around many diffrent combos I have started the SC. I lucked into a 2JZ GTE from a local supra bud and a 6speed tranny so the project starts forward.

As luck would have it just today I recived a phone call from a freind that happen upon a 2.5TT soarer motor with auto tranny. The price was right and I could not pass it up so I now have a bit of a problem.
I still want to do the 2jz and I have already commited to the TO4R turbo kit so that is a done deal. But I woulnt mind picking up a cheap SC putting the 2.5 in it (in time of course) and with the auto tranny letting the wife drive it. My problem is though a found some info on the soarer in general, I cant find any info on performance based off the 2.5 motor besides the common stuff, I am intersted in turbo swaps or single options. I have looked and read all over planet soarer and some of the linked sites but not a lot of info outside of daily grin things and general factory specs. Anyone have any links or personal info they would like to share? I am also a bit concerned about the fitment diffrence since the motor came form a right hand drive car? I am sure it can be overcome just wanting any info I can find.

Thanks
Jim Nixon
Old 11-01-02, 02:27 PM
Dimcorner
Pole Position

well, my soarer is now in the shop, but my friend used to have one and basically if you boost the 1jz to about 15psi you will be able to kick S4 *** with not much difficulty. Also... 1jz engines are MUCH cheaper than 2jz unless you have people who owe you favors . about installation into a US car i don't know how that would work.

BTW the auto tranny on the 1jz is not that bad, but you would need the computer and **** too. if you are thinking major HP down the line then go for the 2jz. It's a monster of a engine. for me thou the 1jz is good enough and cheaper to fix.
Old 11-01-02, 05:05 PM
NONE
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Dimcorner
well, my soarer is now in the shop, but my friend used to have one and basically if you boost the 1jz to about 15psi you will be able to kick S4 *** with not much difficulty. Also... 1jz engines are MUCH cheaper than 2jz unless you have people who owe you favors . about installation into a US car i don't know how that would work.

BTW the auto tranny on the 1jz is not that bad, but you would need the computer and **** too. if you are thinking major HP down the line then go for the 2jz. It's a monster of a engine. for me thou the 1jz is good enough and cheaper to fix.
Thanks for the info, I have a2jz going in my SC300 for big power I plann to put the 1jz in another SC for my wife, it will be built more for a daily driver I would like 400rwhp or so out of it. Glade to hear the auto tranny is a good unit thi was another of my concerns.

Will the 2jz turbo manifolds bolt to the 1jz motor? It looks simalar on the manifold turbo side but very diffrent on the compressorside ofthings?
Old 11-01-02, 05:10 PM
Dimcorner
Pole Position

from the looks of thinkgs i think they do fit. The biggest difference is the angle of the porting between the 2 of them i believe. The 2jz also might be slightly larger porting, but i think the bolt pattern is same and the location of the ports are same too.

Ok i was wrong
http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/vie...FID=4&TID=6019

Last edited by Dimcorner; 11-01-02 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-07-02, 02:48 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a 1jz is a PERFECT engine swap for a older 240z

i hear they sound better than an RB26 and a 2jz
Old 11-07-02, 09:25 PM
NONE
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Bean
a 1jz is a PERFECT engine swap for a older 240z

i hear they sound better than an RB26 and a 2jz
Never though about that I like the SR20DET and the RB26 myself being a nissan fan but the 1jz would be diffrent and make good power in that light chassi.
Old 11-07-02, 10:02 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

I sold my 1jzgte motor and the person who bought it has it in a1993 sc300 it should be on the road by now motor is a straight if it is from the correct car ( ie supra or soarer ) as the oil pans are
different. The manifold on the 2j do not fit or the turbos bolt up
differently. There is a supra in south florida thats making 600rwp
with this motor,any more ? drop me a pm.
Old 11-07-02, 11:17 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Did you checkout my site, we have just installed hybrid CT12a turbos, should run 28/30psi (500+bhp) on the 1JZ motor with some work on the fuelling.
Old 11-08-02, 02:44 PM
NONE
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by London Bill
Did you checkout my site, we have just installed hybrid CT12a turbos, should run 28/30psi (500+bhp) on the 1JZ motor with some work on the fuelling.
I just read over your site some very interesting info. Thanks for the link. I think I may just build the 1jz off the stock turbos if they are in good shape drop it in a SC for the wife and carry on with the 2jz GTE in my car. I want more power out of mine then the stock motor is going to take, The Z has ruined me
Old 11-08-02, 03:11 PM
Dimcorner
Pole Position

i know how you feel...

My RX7 was pushing 330hp to the wheels. On a 2700lbs car that's quite a bit
Old 11-09-02, 03:03 PM
T51R
Pole Position

Default 1jz

1: the manifold from 2jz is not going to fit
2: there is alots of aftermarket parts available for the 1jz, turbo kit, OS,HKS clutch kit, and if you want to make alots of power out of 1jz....... 1.5jz..... 2jz and 1jz are used same bell housing, which you can put getrag 6 speed or 1jz 5 speed. I do sells JDM parts!!!!!

scram performance center
434 845 3278

if you want to ride on my sc300 with 2jz 6 speed swap and T04R+,,,,, give me a call
scott

p.s ask mylexussc300 he knows......
Old 11-12-02, 01:51 AM
philauldridge
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed first the 1JZ, then the 2JZ in my SC300. You'll need lots of wiring diagrams to mate the JZ ECU to the Lexus body wiring. I've carefully documented the entire process in a 90 page manual. Find out more at: www.fly-hawaii.com/lexustt