Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How hard is an Injector Job?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 02:13 PM
MuGGzyx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How hard is an Injector Job?

I have had to pay, one at a time now, for 3 injectors to be replaced. I didn't have the money at the time so I couldn't just have them all done. Each trip to the shoo, for the infamous hesitation/stuttering issue, the shop announced that it was a bad injector, but the others are fine.
Each time the car ran great for a couple weeks and then started doing it again, possibly not as bad as before but I can't be sure of that.

So at this point it is parked and I am considering just doing the rest of the injectors myself. I am just wondering objectively, how difficult is it to replace them? I realize the hardest part is probably taking all the plastic and intake stuff off the top of the engine, but if I am comfortable doing that and have the tools, are the injectors themselves fairly straight forward to swap out once I can get to them?

Any hints of suggestions from those that have done this?
Old 04-10-12, 02:36 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if you have not done much mechanical work, i would not replace the fuel injectors on your own.

i'd say it's probably a "C" on a scale of ABCD, in terms of difficulty. "A" being rebuilding a cylinder head or transmission, "D" being a distributor cap replacement.
only because there is gasoline involved, and n00b jobs that involve gasoline involve leaks, which can involve "DIAF," if you know what i mean.

Last edited by cartmill; 04-10-12 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-10-12, 03:44 PM
davierogue
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which engine model
Old 04-10-12, 08:56 PM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Portland and will have some 1jz injectors for sale soon. PM me if you would like
Old 04-10-12, 09:16 PM
broda805
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

open the gas cap to relieve any pressure in the gas tank, follow the feed and return line till u find some soft rubber lines and use some small vise grips to pinch them not too hard just enough to stop the flow of fuel, i only needed to do this for my return line as it would keep dripping but the feed line seemed to be fine without me pinching it.

when re installing the fuel injectors push them on evenly and make sure you dont roll the orings on them i did this once before when i was trying to hurry things and i paid for it by having to go back in again and replace the orings...

fairly straight forward as long as you take your time and pay attention to all the things you are removing and put them back once you are done

and in the event if you need to replace the orings try and get Viton Orings, normal orings dont like fuel too much