Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Lextreme Torque Converter and WHP

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-12, 04:09 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont even bother unless you do some real mods. Seriously

I mean nitrous, cams, and/or some sort of forced induction.
Old 04-22-12, 04:17 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lookEVO
Dont even bother unless you do some real mods. Seriously

I mean nitrous, cams, and/or some sort of forced induction.
Are you one of those annoying flamers that always thinks the answer to everything is a 2JZ swap?
Old 04-22-12, 04:39 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Keep your 1uz for all I care, I made no mention of a swap. So no, Im not. Im just saying, if your engine is stock, and it is, dont bother with a higher stall converter. I have a turbo automatic with the stock stall and I dont care to go to a higher stall.

My own personal opinion is that the 1uz, altho reliable, is ****. Sure you can do a thing or 2 to it but its not worth the money.

Bottom line, spend your money elsewhere WAYYYYYYYYYYY before a stall converter
Old 04-22-12, 04:58 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Keep your 1uz for all I care, I made no mention of a swap. So no, Im not. Im just saying, if your engine is stock, and it is, dont bother with a higher stall converter. I have a turbo automatic with the stock stall and I dont care to go to a higher stall.

My own personal opinion is that the 1uz, altho reliable, is ****. Sure you can do a thing or 2 to it but its not worth the money.

JIBBBY and a number of others disagree with you. Most say it should be the first upgrade.
Old 04-22-12, 05:23 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

I'm sure you mean well, but your delivery needs some help. It came off as needlessly abrasive.

I'm not looking to build the biggest power machine ever, I'm not that hardcore. I'm just looking to build something that would take out stock 350Zs, G35s, on the weekends, etc. To do that, I just need to trim down the drivetrain loss a bit, beef up some decent HP and call it a day.

FYI I do plan on doing FI next year with a 7psi small turbo, but I can add all the power I want to but if I can't get it off the line it won't do me a bit of good.
Old 04-22-12, 05:29 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

IMO, modding your car to beat stock cars is silly. And as far a being abrasive, take it how you want it bro. Its typed words. I dont say its the first upgrade and ive built and tuned fast cars for YEARS. 3rd generation. So whatever.
Old 04-22-12, 05:37 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

IMO, modding your car to beat stock cars is silly. And as far a being abrasive, take it how you want it bro. Its typed words. I dont say its the first upgrade and ive built and tuned fast cars for YEARS. 3rd generation. So whatever.
I don't care if you think it's silly or not, that is my objective here. I wanted a G37, but I didn't like the idea of making car payments, so I'm beefing up a cheaper car with the same target market and I'm trying to make my SC400 have similar specs. I got my 95 SC400 for $1,500, so I can't complain.

Secondly, you're not the only person to have ever done this. I've rebuilt a Taurus SHO engine from the ground up in my driveway, and turned it into a monster that used to cream Porsche Carrera's with no problem. I've also done RX7's, Eclipse's, other SHO's and this is my first Lexus/Toyota build. Secondly, I also come from multiple generations of car builders. My dad has a four stall car garage where he's rebuilding his supercharged Kaiser, his 33 Hupmobile, among other projects. My grandfather rebuilds cars from the 30's on up too.

Your opinion is simply that, your opinion. In your defense, I did ask for opinions, but I would ask that you change your tone somewhat. I'm not looking to pour thousands upon thousands into my daily driver right now. I am looking for cheap power getters that I can do for very little and there are plenty of those for these cars. I'm glad you were able to beef up your own car, but we have very different goals and that's okay.
Old 04-22-12, 05:57 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Then add nitrous and call it a day. You are wasting your time with your current train of thought, alot of people have already said so... Im just the one that doesnt sugar coat it. If you dont have an LSD, a stall is pointless, You will have traction issues. You could spend the time and effort on other things... the drivetrain loss you think you are experiencing will never go away unless you do a manual swap. Try having a turbo on stock auto... then we can talk about drivetrain loss.

Try some weight reduction, lighter wheel setup, better tires, not to mention... have you done all of your maintenance? Sure the 1uz lasts forever... but how are your LCA bushings, steering rack bushings, etc. Now that your car is faster, have you upgrade the brakes?

Not trying to **** on your parade, but you ask for opinions and get mad when you get an honest one and then start with accusations? Come on bro. You sound mad.
Old 04-22-12, 07:05 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmccarrel
Are you one of those annoying flamers that always thinks the answer to everything is a 2JZ swap?
HAHAHAHA THAT'S AWESOME!!

On a serious note, your best way to reduce drivetrain loss is ditch the converter entirely. Meaning, go with a W58/R154 swap. A torque converter will not unlock peak horsepower.

Also, since you have an underlying broken trans, fix that first

If you want to go 350z or G37 hunting, you have quite the uphill battle my friend. They weigh up to 400 pounds less than your car and will make a minimum 230rwhp assuming an early non-revup DE with an automatic behind it.
Old 04-22-12, 07:23 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Then add nitrous and call it a day. You are wasting your time with your current train of thought, alot of people have already said so... Im just the one that doesnt sugar coat it. If you dont have an LSD, a stall is pointless, You will have traction issues. You could spend the time and effort on other things... the drivetrain loss you think you are experiencing will never go away unless you do a manual swap. Try having a turbo on stock auto... then we can talk about drivetrain loss.

Try some weight reduction, lighter wheel setup, better tires, not to mention... have you done all of your maintenance? Sure the 1uz lasts forever... but how are your LCA bushings, steering rack bushings, etc. Now that your car is faster, have you upgrade the brakes?

Not trying to **** on your parade, but you ask for opinions and get mad when you get an honest one and then start with accusations? Come on bro. You sound mad.
My maintenance is great. Upon buying the car, I bought new high speed, high traction tires, replaced the timing belt and water pump, did a tune-up, Seafoamed it several times, etc.

My bushings are all good and the car is under-mileage for as old as it is.

LSD and brakes are on my list to deal with before summer is out. I just didn't bring it up.

I am only doing the TC because I have to get the tranny rebuilt just to keep it driving.

I'm not mad, you're just annoying. Frankly, what you have said is the OPPOSITE of the old thread "Results to Mods."
Old 04-22-12, 07:24 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
HAHAHAHA THAT'S AWESOME!!

On a serious note, your best way to reduce drivetrain loss is ditch the converter entirely. Meaning, go with a W58/R154 swap. A torque converter will not unlock peak horsepower.

Also, since you have an underlying broken trans, fix that first

If you want to go 350z or G37 hunting, you have quite the uphill battle my friend. They weigh up to 400 pounds less than your car and will make a minimum 230rwhp assuming an early non-revup DE with an automatic behind it.
Yup, I do have an uphill battle. I'll do it one mod at a time.
Old 04-22-12, 08:11 PM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's no way cutting the wire had anything to do with the trans failure. The same transmission in other Toyotas doesn't have this so all we're doing is making it work like it does in the other cars. If a TT Supra doesn't kill it, our 250hp sure won't.

I'm not afraid of a 350z. I've seen more than one murdered (up to 80) by a v8 4Runner. They were my favorite target when I had my Subaru so I'm familiar with them.

My car has the typical part-throttle hesitation issues many mention but WOT is very solid. I've owned cars far faster yet this one feels frisky now. I've more than held my own with a couple of 2001ish Mustang GTs. My 60-100 leaves me grinning every time.

For a 20 yo DD I'm satisfied.
Old 04-23-12, 08:04 AM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by MooJohn
There's no way cutting the wire had anything to do with the trans failure. The same transmission in other Toyotas doesn't have this so all we're doing is making it work like it does in the other cars. If a TT Supra doesn't kill it, our 250hp sure won't.

I'm not afraid of a 350z. I've seen more than one murdered (up to 80) by a v8 4Runner. They were my favorite target when I had my Subaru so I'm familiar with them.

My car has the typical part-throttle hesitation issues many mention but WOT is very solid. I've owned cars far faster yet this one feels frisky now. I've more than held my own with a couple of 2001ish Mustang GTs. My 60-100 leaves me grinning every time.

For a 20 yo DD I'm satisfied.
I think you're probably right. My guess is that the forward clutch has been bad since I got the car.
Old 04-23-12, 09:24 AM
ajmccarrel
Driver

LookEVO, here is the thread I'm following for an upgrade path. http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...ic=30822&st=45

Sorry if you don't like it, but I only asked for your opinion on whether or not the TC has any impact on dynoslips, that's all. If I wanted your opinion on my upgrade path, I would ask for it.
Old 04-23-12, 09:43 AM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Yep, you mad.

Quick Reply: Lextreme Torque Converter and WHP