Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

California sc400?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-12, 09:28 AM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last i checked, Federal EVERYTHING trumped state anything

END.

Your car is fine.
Old 05-01-12, 10:24 PM
chrisindub
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does any one in California have an SC400 with these stickers that passed smog?

Originally Posted by lookEVO
Last i checked, Federal EVERYTHING trumped state anything

END.

Your car is fine.
It's not a federal law, it's a sticker bro......

Stickers don't trump anything.

And this isn't the end of this discussion.

I appreciate the need to assert federal authority over the states, but California emissions requirements are STRICTER than Federal. I'm not going to go down to the DMV with a Rush Limbaugh shirt to start telling them about how my federal sticker means they have to smog my car. lol

I am really sorry if I sound arrogant, ungrateful, whatever, one of my friends died this week and I'm a little testy..........

I was just hoping to find some who actually knows the details about this for certain.

I guess I will have to move to California and then find out myself. Unless someone has a car with these stickers in california.

Thanks again...........Much respect
Old 05-01-12, 11:12 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

One more time... Your car is fine. U.S EPA Regulation is California approved. Dont worry too much. When you get it smog, the smog tech WILL know if the car is legit or not. I know this too well.
Old 05-02-12, 09:42 AM
SOLID300
Pole Position

Went through this a few weeks ago when I bought a motor on ebay from cali. 49 state car does not mean california but that does not mean it won't pass california's emission testing.

A california car pretty much means the car was made with california's emission testing in mind. Meaning the car may have a smog, pump, egr, or extra catalytic. If you fail test then you may have to throw on a better catalytic or clean out your egr. Good luck.
Old 05-02-12, 11:32 AM
chrisindub
Pole Position

Default Thanks again

I appreciate all the info.

I am just really apprehensive about dealing with the California DMV.

You guys have helped me with so much on this car I don't know where to start.
Old 05-02-12, 04:22 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrisindub
It's not a federal law, it's a sticker bro......

Stickers don't trump anything.

And this isn't the end of this discussion.

I appreciate the need to assert federal authority over the states, but California emissions requirements are STRICTER than Federal. I'm not going to go down to the DMV with a Rush Limbaugh shirt to start telling them about how my federal sticker means they have to smog my car. lol

I am really sorry if I sound arrogant, ungrateful, whatever, one of my friends died this week and I'm a little testy..........

I was just hoping to find some who actually knows the details about this for certain.

I guess I will have to move to California and then find out myself. Unless someone has a car with these stickers in california.

Thanks again...........Much respect
Wtf bro?

Im a professional mechanic and have been for a REALLY long time... what I said is true, contrary to what you think.

Drama in your life doesnt diminish what people tell you.

No offense, and sorry for your loss... but come on.

I told you several times now... your car is fine. Without even looking at the sticker, Im told you, your car is fine. Having seen the sticker. YOUR CAR IS FINE!
Old 05-02-12, 08:52 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lookEVO
Wtf bro?

Im a professional mechanic and have been for a REALLY long time... what I said is true, contrary to what you think.

Drama in your life doesnt diminish what people tell you.

No offense, and sorry for your loss... but come on.

I told you several times now... your car is fine. Without even looking at the sticker, Im told you, your car is fine. Having seen the sticker. YOUR CAR IS FINE!
Same here. I repeated myself probably three times I know how you feel. lol
Old 05-02-12, 09:45 PM
chrisindub
Pole Position

Default Thanks guys

It's a little hard to tell what people are thinking from typing in these posts, and I apologize for making you guys feel unappreciated.

Reading some of these threads, you realize some people (not you guys) pass on erroneous information, and don't know what they're talking about (again, not you guys).

It's hard to tell if people know what they're talking about if there's not a lot of information out there to research. So I have a healthy skepticism.

Do you guys accept every member's post as truth without question?

My friends who are professional mechanics usually like to show how much they know, and I get a huge amount of info, beyond what I understand.

Having someone tell me don't worry about it, it will pass, doesn't convey that you have any kind of advanced knowledge or training.

I didn't mean to doubt anyone's credentials.

The more accurate technical information is shared here, the more helpful and popular these forums will be.

Again I really appreciate your help.
Old 05-02-12, 11:11 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

I never said your car is gonna pass smog. That's up to your car's ability. I did say that although your car is Federal certified, it does conforms to California Emission Standards, which what your orignial question was in the beginning.
Old 05-03-12, 01:41 AM
chrisindub
Pole Position

It passes the sniffer here in nevada no prob. I know they run the car on a dyno while sniffing in california, so we'll see. It should be cool. I'm still trying to find the source of some lean/rich codes.

Looks like an O2 sensor I just replaced is bad, still warrantied though

Thanks for helping me out.
Old 05-03-12, 09:36 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

State of CA does a dyno test to test for NOX emissions. This is an Enhanced Area. Make sure your EGR system as it controls the Nox emissions. You can check for codes by finding the DLC connector under the hood and use a paper clip and short pin TE1 and E1 and count the CEL flashes to retrieve codes
Old 05-03-12, 11:05 AM
chrisindub
Pole Position

Default Figured the code thing out

There was an ancient thread on here I read about pulling the codes last week. I was asking about them on another thread, and you were the one helping me out there to trouble shoot them.

You've been helping me on two threads simultaneously!

So thanks again.

It was throwing 25 and 26 rich/lean

Think I narrowed it down to an O2 sensor I replaced a few months ago, it's still under warranty so I will hopefully be replacing it today when it comes in.

These OBDI systems are a PITA to diagnose, and I am not great at it. I wish there was a good mechanic here in las vegas I could trust. I just haven't had great luck here finding someone good with these cars.
Old 05-03-12, 12:35 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

You cant have code 25 and 26 at the same time. I would disconnect battery to clear the codes and retrieve it again. You just cant have a rich and lean problem at the same time its either one or the other. But oxygen sensor would be a good place to start. Your car got 2 oxygen sensors the one that is before the cat. Replace them both.
Old 09-29-12, 12:32 AM
nemisonic
Driver School Candidate

I have personal experience with this very issue, having moved to SoCal from New England in 2012.
Any car (FED or CAL) in good working order is California Legal- so long as it has over 7,000 miles on the ODO.

My SC400 has moved from CT -> CA -> CT -> MA -> CA throughout its life and is still on the road.

The referee passed me without ANY catalyst sticker (repainted hood) because my SC is over 300,000 miles. I asked what the mileage threshold was. I was informed that after 200,000 miles a referee doesn't care about the sticker/visual inspection and you just have to pass the sniffer test at the SMOG station.

California will accept a Federal Emissions vehicle with over 7,000 miles on the ODO.
If you buy a NEW car, and it has LESS than 7,000, The People's Republik of Kalifornia will not allow you to register the vehicle (cars must be visually inspected at the DMV by a referee when you register for a plate). So at that point just take that "bucket list" road trip around the country and you're over 7,000 miles.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by nemisonic; 09-29-12 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-29-12, 08:04 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad you got it figured out.

Quick Reply: California sc400?