Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1992 SC300 5 speed na-t build Help Needed Please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-12, 02:24 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome guys, it's great to hear all the different opinions and advice... I actually am not gonna rush the install... And with your guys help I am sure I will get what I need. So now no safc huh? I actually found a safc neo and also a safc 2 on Craigslist locally and both were selling because thy were "upgrading" so that kind of confirms that maybe they arent the best option out there... They are more in my budget though and hi psi seems to like his old school one just fine...lol What exactly is a map ecu ? I googled it and cannot find a unit for my car just one for the 93-97 supra... Will that one work or am I missing another model?and rx-7 injectors huh? Are the stock ones 550cc ? Or is it an aftermarket part? Anyone know the cheapest place to buy a set? Thanks for the link to the o2 sensor btw... I am gonna get some pics up here tonight of the car and my parts pile so you guys can see more clearly what I have. Keep the opinions and what has worked for you or currently is working for you... I definitely wanna do it as right as possible the first go round.

Last edited by SupraDremr; 05-02-12 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-02-12, 02:37 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kevint2
And i didn't mean to come off like a jerk because im really not!

It's cool man, no worries!

Welcome to Club Lexus!
Old 05-02-12, 03:30 PM
kevint2
Rookie

You want to get stock 89-91 Rx7 550cc injectors.I got mine off ebay for 150 for a set of 6..New ones would be better but they brake the bank 300-600 bucks....Stay away from venom injectors,i got some and flow checked them and they was WAYYYYY off.I would love to see some pics of the parts you have
Old 05-02-12, 04:00 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

have you ever cleaned / flow tested the 6 s5 TII injectors you got? i've seen some pretty badly unmatched sets. they're 22 years old.
Old 05-02-12, 05:39 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

So I did a bit more searching for and about the map ecu piggy back...Seems to be 695.00 everywhere...Little more than I wanted to spend...at least at the moment...Sounds like a fantastic unit though....Who knows things could change and I might be able to swing one...lol Might be going the unfavored by most safc route for the time being...Probably have a shop install it and set t up though...Unless its really user friendly...Kinda funny I actually found a old school Super AFC 4 dial unit on craigslist here local...just like the one you have T2...What exactly was/is involved in tuning your car with an safc or map ecu? Found a SAFC II I could have for 140 possibly a little lower if I can talk the guy down...That a good buy? A little scratched up but he says it works....Any way to test at purchase?

Last edited by SupraDremr; 05-02-12 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-02-12, 10:17 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

short summary on what will happen with the safc with the ge ecu.
you can run your boost on the stock injectors, but you will be registering alot of airflow now that the ecu is really not used to seeing, which in the end will cause lots of drive-ability issues, especially in transition to boost, and directly after boosting. A big factor in how much airflow you register is also where you place the air flow meter on the GE, but do realize our cars have a frequency type airflow meter, it does not really read boost at all. Hotwire type maf's can register boost much better so the whole blow through thing is workable, but we dont have those mafs (lucky us). If you notice its the same maf as a 7mgte, and they place it in front of the turbo where there is no boost, so it can read all the air. if you do that though you need a recirculating type BOV or your car will stall out after every time you boost (the trick is quickly go to another gear after boosting to keep the engine alive), I had a bov that vented to atmosphere and didnt want to get another one at the time, still have it infact.

If you have to go down this route, I would really recommend getting a recirculating BOV, put the maf in front of the turbo, and upgrade your injectors to either 440cc or 550cc with the safc. I have never heard of 550's not working with an safc, someone did not set the low settings correctly, its really the easiest device to play with but you have to work around its limitations. once I figure out this tt ecu mod 100% ill post it up for everyone to make the switch from the ge ecu's

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-02-12 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-02-12, 10:37 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Ok ali sc3 - So are you saying that if I get say the SAFC II and upgrade my injectors and fuel pump, and use my stock MAF sensor in front of my turbo (compressor inlet), that I will still have driveability issues? i.e. having to quickly shift to avoid stalling...etc. like you said in the previous post? Or were you saying that without using the maf sensor I would have issues. I have seen many pic of 2jzge turbo setups where the factory MAF is used in front of the turbo just before the intake filter, I am guessing they must be running a safc or something similar... I did remember reading that the MAP ECU 3 allows you to eliminate the need for the maf sensor...but thats a down the road purchase I am afraid...700.00 is just not gonna happen...lol But I really don't wanna invest in a SAFC if they are hopeless...I cant see them being that crappy of a product and being such a successful and well known product.
Old 05-03-12, 12:01 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by SupraDremr
Ok ali sc3 - So are you saying that if I get say the SAFC II and upgrade my injectors and fuel pump, and use my stock MAF sensor in front of my turbo (compressor inlet), that I will still have driveability issues? i.e. having to quickly shift to avoid stalling...etc. like you said in the previous post? Or were you saying that without using the maf sensor I would have issues. I have seen many pic of 2jzge turbo setups where the factory MAF is used in front of the turbo just before the intake filter, I am guessing they must be running a safc or something similar... I did remember reading that the MAP ECU 3 allows you to eliminate the need for the maf sensor...but thats a down the road purchase I am afraid...700.00 is just not gonna happen...lol But I really don't wanna invest in a SAFC if they are hopeless...I cant see them being that crappy of a product and being such a successful and well known product.
If you put the stock maf in front of the compressor inlet and use a recirculating bov, you can avoid alot of the drive ability issues. To help get things back in the proper range for the stock ecu, you should upgrade the injectors for the sole purpose of being able to then lower your airflow signal some on the safc (this helps counter how much more airflow your turbo is pulling in now, keeping you more in the range of the stock ecu maps).
So in this case the injector upgrade is because of the limitations of the stock ecu, not how much fuel you actually need.
My experience was with running a non-recirculating bov, which is a nightmare on drawthrough setup (in front of compressor inlet). If you must have one that vents to air you need a map ecu or a VPC. Basically any piggyback that uses a map sensor, a TT ecu, or a standalone.

I have also heard of people using the larger v8 maf and 440cc injectors with the stock ecu. this eliminates the need for the safc only when using 440cc injectors, because the v8 maf is a little larger and lowers the signal just like an safc would.
The safc is nice though, because it has alot more features on it and you can adjust lots of different areas. the v8 maf was the old way.

Do realize the stock ecu will still get confused if you have an 02 sensor connected, it is always aiming for 14.7 afr and doesnt know you want to go rich except at WOT, so when going uphill on part throttle making boost or transiiton to boost it can get pretty lean.
even without an 02 sensor on there at all, it may require occasional or frequent resetting of the ecu, but if you play with it enough it will be driveable.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-03-12 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-03-12, 12:35 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You don't need Map ECu 3 , you can get the 1 or 2 works great , i have seen couple guys running E85 on map ECu setup and it's not the 3.

You don't have to spend $700 on piggyback ..and you should never... for that much money you can get a standalone.

I rode in one of mu buddy's SC 5 years ago it was na-t with safc every time it tries to go in boost he has to let off lol . It was blown by that..that's another reason why i don't like it. He couldn't get his car to run properly every since he install that turbo on his car, he took it to different shops .. still the same results.

FI is not cheap , you will set a budget and you will always go over!!

the only people that i have meet that have success with safc are the gte guys, 1jzgte /2jzgte .
Old 05-03-12, 01:56 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Voilah best price:

http://www.partslet.com/product.html...y-back-30-1910

This thing is the new cat's a$$. It is almost as powerful as a AEM V1, better than a Emanage, and beats the SAFC up in front of it's mother.

Brief overview:

http://www.aemelectronics.com/fuel-i...sal-f-ic-6-626

I want to see everyone start using these things, they rock!
Old 05-03-12, 03:17 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Wow guys....this forum is awesome....I cannot say how much I guyall the help you guys are providing...Sounds like I might be able to make one of the safc units work, they are pretty cheap used ...sounds like I could get it up and running with one and be driveable...but sounds like it would come with constant tinkering and doesnt seem like it would be a very good running car...I dont want to have to let off the throttle at boost...that kinda defeats the purpose doesnt it? It sounds like I will have to mess with it a lot and might have problems despite having it setup correctly anyways so I think I am nixxing the safc idea...

I will have to do some more research on the map ecu 1 and 2...When I searched yesterday I only came across the 3 's . Now are these universal units or is there a specific model of the 1,2 or 3 I need?

And as far as this post:

Spoolxexo-

Voilah best price:

This thing is the new cat's a$$. It is almost as powerful as a AEM V1, better than a Emanage, and beats the SAFC up in front of it's mother.

Brief overview:

The link says it is for odb2 cars,mine is a 1992 so I am odb1 will this still work? Anyone else use or heard of these????
Old 05-03-12, 03:25 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Is a reason why I cannot seem to find any map-ecu1 map-ecu2 's anywhere? Google doesnt bring anything up...but forum posts and threads...Would like to know what a 1 or 2 costs as it is kinda sounding like a sound and stable choice to keep the car running nice with the turbo.
Old 05-03-12, 03:32 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Umm hello, didn;t get a chance to read my post?

The FIC and MAP ECU are almost identical in function, so get the cheaper one, nah mean!?
Old 05-03-12, 03:41 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
Umm hello, didn;t get a chance to read my post?

The FIC and MAP ECU are almost identical in function, so get the cheaper one, nah mean!?
I totally read the post...lol I just thought the FIC was a whole different product... Which it is...Different company alltogether right? I did like the price....is it just as easy to setup as the map-ecu? Do you currently have this unit? Your post was the first I had heard of the fic so I apologize if you thought I didnt read your post I totally went to the links...even asked a question about them...
Old 05-03-12, 03:43 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Originally Posted by SupraDremr
And as far as this post:

Spoolxexo-

Voilah best price:

Brief overview:

The link says it is for odb2 cars,mine is a 1992 so I am odb1 will this still work? Anyone else use or heard of these????

See? lol I totally asked you about it...so the unit will work with odb1 cars too? Says it wont fit...
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: 1992 SC300 5 speed na-t build Help Needed Please!