Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1992 SC300 5 speed na-t build Help Needed Please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-12, 03:47 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes it will.

The cool thing about these new "boxes" is they have on board MAP sensors to correctly fuel the car, but keep the OEM sensors within their happy Voltage range with the "Voltage Clamp Feature".

If at 0psi the stock N/A ECU starts to freak out, the FIC will clamp the MAF voltage, and use its own on board sensor to fuel the car under boost.

This way the OEM ECU doesn't have that crazy advanced timing feedback when you take out a lot of signal, to lean the car out.
Old 05-03-12, 03:57 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that sounds like a perfect solution for me... Good price and it does what I need... I was kinda excited reading about the map-ecu units but if this is the same idea then I see no reason not to use it. Nice to hear it will work with my odb1 sc300...Do I need to purchase any additional harness or anything? The link you provided didnt make any mention of including anything but the unit itself...Ok...I googled it and it looks to come with all the wires and everything I need...even a cd and a computer cable to tune I guess...Is this unit something I could setup myself? Or is a professional tune still required?

Last edited by SupraDremr; 05-03-12 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-03-12, 04:00 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a universal box. Harness are more money, but why bother?

It's similar to hooking up a SAFC, but it adds a few wires to retard the timing, and of course running a hose to the on-board MAP sensor!
Old 05-03-12, 08:30 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

the aem fic is a much more powerfull piggyback. you can use it like a map ecu 1 which just changes the airflow signal based on map sensor, and it has more features packed into it if you want to use those later on.

For example, you can even get the injection harnesses for it and wire up the injectors through it, so instead of changing the air flow meter signal like the safc or map ecu 1, when you go into boost it is actually running the injectors, so the stock ecu cant mess anything up which is really a nice feature.
It will take a bit of wiring and a lot of patience with the software and getting every little setting right.
I wouldn't really recommend the GE ecu to anyone though, Ive still never seen one run reliably on an na-t.
Old 05-04-12, 07:12 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
the aem fic is a much more powerfull piggyback. you can use it like a map ecu 1 which just changes the airflow signal based on map sensor, and it has more features packed into it if you want to use those later on.

For example, you can even get the injection harnesses for it and wire up the injectors through it, so instead of changing the air flow meter signal like the safc or map ecu 1, when you go into boost it is actually running the injectors, so the stock ecu cant mess anything up which is really a nice feature.
It will take a bit of wiring and a lot of patience with the software and getting every little setting right.
I wouldn't really recommend the GE ecu to anyone though, Ive still never seen one run reliably on an na-t.

Well sounds kinda like a no brainer then... AEM FIC it is!!! Shouldnt take too long to get enough saved up to get it...Probably get the rx-7 injectors and walbro 255 fuel pump at the same time and that should complete my parts list...At least for the moment...Do I need a wideband a/f meter? Or can I get by without one if I have the FIC? I should be ready to do my install after that...Really excited to have found a decent piggy back I can afford. lol Thanks!
Old 05-07-12, 08:34 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

everyone with a turbo needs an air fuel meter. Think of it as a one time insurance payment on your engine.