Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ Finally Done! Tuning Issues!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-12, 06:51 PM
WetLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cartmill
i'm surprised no one caught this.

which ECU are you running?
i would personally try to swap ECUs, and if that doesn't fix it, uninstall the SAFC and see if it still does it.
bryan's post was pretty thorough.
Is that temp. too hot?? And i tried unhooking the safc didnt help...... i guess ill try to swap the ecus and see if it makes a difference.

Im using manual soarer ecu

Last edited by WetLexus; 05-02-12 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-02-12, 07:34 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's not a terribly alarming temperature. 220 is generally an upper limit of normal operation number. If you said 240 then that would be a massive alarm. I'm not sure what Lexus quotes as "normal" but I know Nissans and GM LSx motors regularly will bump 225 as part of normal operation.
Old 05-03-12, 11:56 AM
WetLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
It's not a terribly alarming temperature. 220 is generally an upper limit of normal operation number. If you said 240 then that would be a massive alarm. I'm not sure what Lexus quotes as "normal" but I know Nissans and GM LSx motors regularly will bump 225 as part of normal operation.
Thanks for that info!

Well I opened up the ECU and no sign whatsoever of any damage. I also unplugged the TPS while the car was running, it stuttered for a split second but was normal after that......still wouldn't rev above 2k mark.........
Old 05-03-12, 12:38 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would still try to swap the eCU.

Also check you IGF wire from the ignitor to the ECU that will also do that.

IGF wire is orange and yellow wire..
Old 05-03-12, 04:39 PM
WetLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by Quicksc4
I would still try to swap the eCU.

Also check you IGF wire from the ignitor to the ECU that will also do that.

IGF wire is orange and yellow wire..
Waiting on my buddy to give his ecu up lol. Ill check the wire you are talking about also. Can this possibly be a wastegate issue? I have a tial wastegate with one vaccum line hooked up for the EBC, and the other port which is on top is just missing.........would that be a problem?
Old 05-04-12, 05:26 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

that should cause you to not be able to rev the motor. does it sound like its hitting a rev limiter *bouncing rpms* or does it just hold it solid at 2k?
Old 05-04-12, 06:57 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WetLexus
Waiting on my buddy to give his ecu up lol. Ill check the wire you are talking about also. Can this possibly be a wastegate issue? I have a tial wastegate with one vaccum line hooked up for the EBC, and the other port which is on top is just missing.........would that be a problem?
No problem just will run WG spring pressure, but some manifolds do have significant boost creep.

I would have the ECU looked at for leaking CAPS or swap as suggested, also try checking the 2 sensors on the water neck for the top radiator hose these occasionally look acceptable but will cause a similar issue (Water temp sensor) will put the computer in limp mode.

Good luck.
Old 05-04-12, 09:39 AM
WetLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by bryan767
that should cause you to not be able to rev the motor. does it sound like its hitting a rev limiter *bouncing rpms* or does it just hold it solid at 2k?
No it revs up to 2k then drops down to 1k then back up to 2k then back down to 1k.....
Old 05-04-12, 09:40 AM
WetLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
No problem just will run WG spring pressure, but some manifolds do have significant boost creep.

I would have the ECU looked at for leaking CAPS or swap as suggested, also try checking the 2 sensors on the water neck for the top radiator hose these occasionally look acceptable but will cause a similar issue (Water temp sensor) will put the computer in limp mode.

Good luck.
Wow. I never would've thought about that. Thanks a lot!
Old 05-04-12, 10:09 AM
bryan767
Lexus Test Driver

yea this is starting to sound like the coolant temp sensor. its the green plug on the water neck, up front. could have a bad connection or a dead sensor
Old 05-04-12, 10:33 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OP would know this if he just scanned the ECU.

How come that hasn't come up?
Old 05-08-12, 08:02 PM
WetLexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
OP would know this if he just scanned the ECU.

How come that hasn't come up?
You are absolutely correct sir! I should've done that from the get go, then i got swamped with finals and work. Finally made time to pull the codes today and came up with only one (Thank god!) Code 41

thnx to supramania i found this link when i searched............

Click Here

This link is for anyone that didn't know about this site that might have a problem in the future. Im sure its stickied somewhere here but i just randomly found it on supramania.

Code 41 is for TPS problems. I should've realized this when my SAFC2 was reading only 76% throttle when i had my foot all the way down on the gas pedal

I also found a thread showing how to calibrate the TPS..... once again here is a link for anyone that needs it .....

Click Here

I hope its not an issue to have these links to other forums, just trying to spread help to anyone with similar issues.

Anyways, looks like a B****!! Hope it fixes my problem :/
Old 05-19-12, 06:45 PM
WetLexus
Rookie

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this post.

I finally fixed the issue....... I calibrated the TPS.

I read the thread that i posted earlier but the multimeter wasn't really working with me so i went about it a different way that i read in another forum.

If you have an SAFC or SAFC2 it makes it sooo much easier. all you have to do is go into the settings on the unit and find "Sensor Chk" and under "Thrtl" find out the voltage. Your voltage should be .5. So i kept my eye on the SAFC2 and adjusted the TPS until i got as close as i could and it fixed the problem!!!

I had a request to put up a video of the car's exhaust note so that will be coming soon. Also im trying to make time to take the car to a buddy of mine who owns a performance shop and is gonna dyno tune the car for me. Im not sure what kind of numbers ill put up........
Old 05-21-12, 08:51 AM
WetLexus
Rookie

Well started the car up today and was going to take it to my tuner............and the stupid problem came back!!! Another problem i realized is that i most likely need a new thermostat, car spikes up to 220 once warm. Checked under the hood found the top radiator hose was hot and the bottom radiator hose was cold....... no biggie..... but im seriously just stumped about this stupid revving issue!!!

Im going to stop screwing around and just switch out the ECU and see what happens, Cross your fingers everyone!

Last edited by WetLexus; 05-21-12 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-21-12, 10:23 AM
s1984
Driver

You got exactly the same mods instead the turbo like me.
And i want to run the same exhaust combo like you.

Okay i´m still in progress....

Quick Reply: 1JZ Finally Done! Tuning Issues!