Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Could this actually do anything?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-12, 10:21 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blk&blu*j
Your second link the zukiworld is a Trojan horse so suggest you check you anti virus settings
Worked fine for me on two different computers.
Old 05-04-12, 10:25 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ajmccarrel
BTW the Chrysler K cars could be beat to death and they'd drive forever. What kind of an engineer are you specifically? What do you work on?
The old Audi 5000 was great too till it fell out of park and ran you over.

I specialize in fluid dynamics as you can see I live in S. FLA. and was contracted for several yrs for R&D on several high performance Yacht and race boat manufactures.
And your line of work is?????
Old 05-04-12, 10:28 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

The old Audi 5000 was great too till it fell out of park and ran you over.

I specialize in fluid dynamics as you can see I live in S. FLA. and was contracted for several yrs for R&D on several high performance Yacht and race boat manufactures.
And your line of work is?????
Is there a point in the first comment, or do you enjoy fighting straw men in your spare time?

During model years 1982–1987, Audi's U.S. sales fell after a series of recalls of Audi 5000 models[13] associated with reported incidents of sudden unintended acceleration linked to six deaths and 700 accidents.[13] At the time, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) was investigating 50 car models from 20 manufacturers for sudden surges of power.[14]
60 Minutes aired a report titled Out of Control on November 23, 1986,[15] featuring interviews with six people who had sued Audi after reporting unintended acceleration, including footage of an Audi 5000 ostensibly displaying a surge of acceleration while the brake pedal was depressed.[16][17][18] Subsequent investigation revealed that 60 Minutes had not disclosed they had engineered the vehicle's behavior – fitting a canister of compressed air on the passenger-side floor, to pump fluid via a hose to a hole drilled into the transmission[15][16] – the arrangement executed by one of the experts who had testified on behalf of a plaintiff in a then pending lawsuit against Audi's parent company.[19]
Audi initially responded by suggesting that the drivers of the cars involved in the incidents were at fault, because they had stepped on the accelerator pedal rather than the brake.[14] Subsequently, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) concluded that the majority of unintended acceleration cases, including all the ones that prompted the 60 Minutes report, were caused by driver error such as confusion of pedals.[20] CBS did not acknowledge the test results of involved government agencies, but did acknowledge the similar results of another study.[21]
With the series of recall campaigns, Audi made several modifications; the first adjusted the distance between the brake and accelerator pedal on automatic-transmission models.[13] Later repairs, of 250,000 cars dating back to 1978, added a device requiring the driver to press the brake pedal before shifting out of park.[13] As a byproduct of sudden unintended acceleration, vehicles now include gear stick patterns and brake interlock mechanisms to prevent inadvertent gear selection.
Old 05-04-12, 10:48 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-04-12, 10:52 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by lookEVO
Nice vid.

Old 05-05-12, 06:09 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

You apparently are a wealth of Google based knowledge so since that is the case, just buy one of these great technological marvels put it on your car and show us the facts, Dyno before = ?
Dyno after = ?

As you can see In my signature I am familiar with boost and it apparently works.
Old 05-05-12, 10:17 AM
ajmccarrel
Driver

You apparently are a wealth of Google based knowledge so since that is the case, just buy one of these great technological marvels put it on your car and show us the facts, Dyno before = ?
Dyno after = ?

As you can see In my signature I am familiar with boost and it apparently works.
Are you going to take your ball and bat and go home now?
Old 05-05-12, 10:58 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

No but I need to prove nothing to you and you just typing for post count is not in my agenda to entertain so good luck with your electric supercharger or you next typing endeavor.
Old 05-05-12, 01:18 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

No but I need to prove nothing to you and you just typing for post count is not in my agenda to entertain so good luck with your electric supercharger or you next typing endeavor.
Look, I already know THIS particular unit is not going to be effective. I'm looking at the possibilities of the technology and what could be done to make electric turbos a cost effective alternative. That's all. I'm sorry if you don't want to have that conversation. I'm looking for more of an exploration in more depth than you are wanting to offer. I'm not interested in going back and forth with you anymore.

So far you've been insulting and immature. You can come back when you grow all the way up to 5.
Old 05-05-12, 02:38 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All you do is type a bunch of entitled, "I'm more of a man then you are, so don't waste my time", condescending, standoffish posts again, and again.

Someday, in the real world, you will say this type of thing to someone who will indiscriminately knock you out, and maybe that attitude will dwindle.

You are basically the new "Account2x". Congratulations!
Old 05-05-12, 02:52 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
All you do is type a bunch of entitled, "I'm more of a man then you are, so don't waste my time", condescending, standoffish posts again, and again.

Someday, in the real world, you will say this type of thing to someone who will indiscriminately knock you out, and maybe that attitude will dwindle.

You are basically the new "Account2x". Congratulations!
I'm looking for more information. As Johnny 5 says, "Need input." I've never had this kind of problem on a car forum before. Most other forums for other cars I've been on, such as the RX7 forum, Taurus SHO clubs, etc have been more technical in nature. They're also more polite and helpful. It's funny and it says a lot about you that violence is the first place your mind went. Secondly, "entitled" how? I asked for technological information and specifically said in the first post that I wanted a thorough technical discussion and so far no one has really stepped up besides to say, "well I'm an expert and I say so" without really explaining the position. I don't care whether he supports the basic technology or not, but throwing around opinions and general sloganeering isn't a thorough technological discussion. It's just bloviating. On my first post, which was to diagnose a tranny issue, someone told me not to bother posting until I went turbo, another guy said I needed to run what I posted by him since I had less than 40 posts at the time. This is hardly a welcoming site thus far. I get a lot of "sounds like something's wrong?" kinds of posts which are not helpful when you're aware something is wrong, kinda like when you smash yourself with a hammer and someone asks, "did you hurt yourself?" I'm not a patient person and I realize I need to deal with that. I'll try to be more patient.

Anyway, what did you have to post that is on topic? Do you believe the technology really works or not? If so why and if not why?

Last edited by ajmccarrel; 05-05-12 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-05-12, 02:56 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Dyno after = ?

There is a dyno on their website. I've asked you this a few times already but I think my question got lost in the shuffle, do you think their claims are legit, or do you think that they are outright lying? Yes, I know that a REAL turbo kit or supercharger would be more effective. I'm just asking about the basic assumptions behind this technology.

Last edited by ajmccarrel; 05-05-12 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-05-12, 05:50 PM
fried_rice
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The idea is stupid, I think that's what everyone here is trying to say. For $350 you can buy many other performance modifications that will equal 1lb of boost.

Here's some info from my 5 seconds of Google search.
I know I'm setting myself up to get bashed or no reply at all but why not use an electric motor similar to a starter motor maybe to power the turbo. Wouldn't a strong enough motor with the right gearing be able to get the rpms of the turbo high enough? This would greatly simplify turbo installation right. Well I guess its just not possible though or everyone would be driving around with an electric powered turbo
The main reason for this is power. A typical T3/4 turbo might spin up to 110,000RPM during peak boost, maybe higher. If the torque required to maintain this RPM is even just 0.5 ft-lb, the power required would be around 10.5HP. This doesn't take into account losses through geartrains (for stepping-up the electric motor output shaft speed) and the 0.5 ft-lbs is probably way low.

Using a 70% conversion efficiency as a comfortable baseline, the electrical system would have to provide 15HP (10.5/0.7) or 11,190 watts to this motor. This would be 932-amps at 12V. A fully charged, warm lead-acid battery could probably supply this for a short burst but the wiring and switching technology isn't there for economical installations.

In addition, the current required by a DC motor is inversely proportional to the speed at which the shaft rotates: the current required to actually spin the turbo from 'idle' to full boost RPM in a very short period of time (to avoid lagginess ) would be quite a bit higher.

Turbos make use of otherwise-wasted exhaust energy. I think it's easier to bend up some pipe than to get an electric setup working reliably.
Old 05-05-12, 06:29 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by fried_rice
The idea is stupid, I think that's what everyone here is trying to say. For $350 you can buy many other performance modifications that will equal 1lb of boost.

Here's some info from my 5 seconds of Google search.
Hi fried, thanks for the info. If you search a little more, you'll find contradictory info. The claims that xsturbos put out is 5-6lbs of boost, not 1. That wouldn't be a bad deal for $350.00. They also state that you need two car batteries to power the things. The efficiency is terrible and it would only be like using a NOS kit, since it would only be available for short bursts and act as a restriction in the mean-time. Do you have any ideas of maybe industrial brushless motors or something else that may work?

Last edited by ajmccarrel; 05-05-12 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-05-12, 07:13 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like I ALREADY SAID!

Turbos are balanced. They spin at 60-100k rpm, they MUST Be in balance. Why do you think chinese junk fails so much...

All they did was took the compressor side off a turbo probaly super glued some crappy fan motor on the back.

In picture it looks somewhat in effective and somewut *retard* functional. But in reality that thing will not do anything.... Might as well put a potato in your muffler and hope for more power.

The compressor will be out of balance dig into the inducer and then thats it...

As far as I know NOBODY uses eletric turbo outside of track, because the amperage draw is so significant for a actual working one...

The electric motors are big though... bigger then that and more heavy duty with very large cables.

They are mainly just for track as NO alternator will be able to charge those things for more then 10-20 seconds. Not workable on the street. Plus its more of a ON/OFF kinda thing.

AND in reality those shouldnt even be called turbos, should be called electric centrifugal superchargers.

Quick Reply: Could this actually do anything?