Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Could this actually do anything?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-12, 07:43 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by g4ebguy90
Like I ALREADY SAID!

Turbos are balanced. They spin at 60-100k rpm, they MUST Be in balance. Why do you think chinese junk fails so much...

All they did was took the compressor side off a turbo probaly super glued some crappy fan motor on the back.

In picture it looks somewhat in effective and somewut *retard* functional. But in reality that thing will not do anything.... Might as well put a potato in your muffler and hope for more power.

The compressor will be out of balance dig into the inducer and then thats it...

As far as I know NOBODY uses eletric turbo outside of track, because the amperage draw is so significant for a actual working one...

The electric motors are big though... bigger then that and more heavy duty with very large cables.

They are mainly just for track as NO alternator will be able to charge those things for more then 10-20 seconds. Not workable on the street. Plus its more of a ON/OFF kinda thing.

AND in reality those shouldnt even be called turbos, should be called electric centrifugal superchargers.
Very true on the "supercharger" title. Is there an electric motor one could get somewhere that would be equal to the track motors? I'm curious to see if one of the track motors you're talking about might be buildable. I mean, the Mustang SVO started as a homecooked innovation that Ford bought from some guy in his garage. If no one ever tried to improve on existing technology, we'd never have electric cars...... Oh wait, maybe that isn't such a ringing endorsement.
Old 05-05-12, 10:28 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can buy one for around 2-4k that actually works, but again, you will probaly need a very large amperage alternator, probaly 2 batteries and why not some capacitors. But it would use so much power a run of around 20 seconds would drain the whole system, and the supercharger will not work at capacity. Just lower boost.

The reality is, making your own custom turbo manifold from one bank and hoping to make some boost, about as much as the stock fuel system I assume can handle would be the better route.
Old 05-05-12, 10:33 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

One thing you need to understand is, that a turbo is not just a fan that sucks in air and makes your motor fast, its a very easy to understand concept, yet the actual design is pretty well complicated.

Capturing the exhaust does not spin the turbine, the transfer of heat does. This motion of air effect spins the blades when it leaves. The turbine is connected to a shaft, this shaft is then connected to the compressor wheel. The compressor wheel spins. As the air comes into contact with the blades, the blades push the air to the side, there is a very small part on the compressor inside that goes from a large to a very small opening, the blades push the air from the big to the small channel this is what creates the pressure in the turbo *squeeze* and is what then goes inside your engine. The higher pressure will seak a low pressure and bam, your engine is boosted.

These $200 hunks of crap you see for sale do not have this tech built into them.
Old 05-06-12, 06:02 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is possible to do this kind of thing, but doesn't really make much sense from an expense or efficiency perspective. Probably the most useful application of this approach I have seen is this one: http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/04...ger/index.html

This guy used multiple motors and a roots blower. I like this approach over a centrifugal setup because it displaces more air at low RPM. Balancing motors and super high RPM are not as important and you can still move enough air to be meaningful.

Even so, I would just go buy a normal blower or turbo kit for the same money. Then I wouldn't have to wait for my batteries to recharge between pulls.

Last edited by stockhatch; 05-06-12 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-06-12, 03:05 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

I looked at that, that actually looks functional
Old 05-06-12, 03:51 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by g4ebguy90
I looked at that, that actually looks functional
That's what I was hoping that someone could build at home.
Old 05-06-12, 04:57 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ajmccarrel
That's what I was hoping that someone could build at home.
That was for stock hatchs post on that electric supercharger. That is built right, and looks right.