Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cold air intake.Pros and cons

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-12, 05:13 AM
pwashking
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold air intake.Pros and cons

just put a cold air intake on my 1992 sc400 and got the center resanator cut to straight pipe.. love the sound. If I cut off the other 2 resanators do you guys think it would be to loud. I have two megan racing mufflers in the back..I'm new here and not much of a machanic..I also got a piggy back for the ECU I think it an AEM.to be installed and tuned in a couple of weeks..
Attached Thumbnails Cold air intake.Pros and cons-intake.jpg   Cold air intake.Pros and cons-intake2.jpg   Cold air intake.Pros and cons-mysc400.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 05-05-12, 06:46 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

There is no such thing as too loud
Old 05-05-12, 07:09 PM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want a cool pipe like that !
Old 05-05-12, 07:43 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://planetsoarer.com/BFI3/bfi3.htm
Old 05-05-12, 07:45 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

I cut out the cats, center cat and both resonators and replaced them with high flowing cats 2.5 inch piping and an X-pipe. My wife says it's too loud, but I get a lot of looks when I start up.
Old 05-05-12, 08:54 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ProperD
Call me crazy, but wouldnt that mess take the same amount of time as slapping an intake on?
Old 05-05-12, 09:29 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
Call me crazy, but wouldnt that mess take the same amount of time as slapping an intake on?
Time isn't the main consideration. The thing about the BFI is that it pressurizes the air and you do get COLD air. Some of the Aussies have gotten as much as 17(?)WHP from this mod and that's a REAL gain. My sister and I did mine and we were both shocked at the amount of response we got from that mod alone.

What you have is nice and very blingy, but it's basically a hot-air intake and will not gain you anything at best and decrease HP at worst. I'd keep the cool looking pipe and do a BFI, or get some more pipe and run the filter under the headlight. There's enough room down there if you look under your splash shield. There's a little area that's square that is big enough for your filter to sit.
Old 05-06-12, 04:20 PM
pwashking
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks guys, ill chec k out relocating the filter a little lower.

I'm getting an AEM piggy back for it as well supposed to be installed and tuned next week..I'll post results of that as well..
Old 05-06-12, 05:35 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ajmccarrel
Time isn't the main consideration. The thing about the BFI is that it pressurizes the air and you do get COLD air. Some of the Aussies have gotten as much as 17(?)WHP from this mod and that's a REAL gain. My sister and I did mine and we were both shocked at the amount of response we got from that mod alone.

What you have is nice and very blingy, but it's basically a hot-air intake and will not gain you anything at best and decrease HP at worst. I'd keep the cool looking pipe and do a BFI, or get some more pipe and run the filter under the headlight. There's enough room down there if you look under your splash shield. There's a little area that's square that is big enough for your filter to sit.
I know the cai air isn't cold, but shouldn't the smoother flow along with more air coming in make more power? The link said 3.3 rwhp which is what people typically see from a cai
Old 05-07-12, 11:18 AM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
I know the cai air isn't cold, but shouldn't the smoother flow along with more air coming in make more power? The link said 3.3 rwhp which is what people typically see from a cai
The original link for BFI Mark I shows, "BFI - 17 HP gain !" which is considerably more than the 3.3rwp gain you're talking about. Even with drivetrain loss, that's still a 13RWHP gain. Seriously, most of us on here have debated the whole cone filter vs. BFI thing ad nauseum and the BFI does a lot more than any aftermarket cone filter setup could ever do, unless you route the cone filter underneath the headlight and still fabricate ways for air to hit the cone filter via plastic ramps and so forth. The BFI also costs considerably less and it takes maybe an hour or two to setup if you make models for your parts out of cardboard and cut them out of plastic afterwards.

The Lexus intake is somewhat restrictive, but lack of smooth flowing air isn't where your power gains are. It's because the BFI makes a pressurized elephant snorkel out of existing parts. Pressurized is the key.