Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92 sc300 jzx90 swap problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-12, 09:59 AM
g4ebguy90
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it MAF or MAP? I would say air leaks a.k.a boost leaks.
My eclipse did this, started up idled etc, hit the gas and falls on its face. Wouldn't hardly go unless you floored it even then still wouldn't go.

Soap and water on all hoses.
Old 05-08-12, 10:48 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You know what you have to do next, right? There is no getting around it. You have to swap the problem 1j into your daily You have swapped everything between the two cars except for the engines themselves.
Old 05-08-12, 01:22 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by g4ebguy90
Is it MAF or MAP? I would say air leaks a.k.a boost leaks.
My eclipse did this, started up idled etc, hit the gas and falls on its face. Wouldn't hardly go unless you floored it even then still wouldn't go.

Soap and water on all hoses.
Thats a DSM response if I've ever heard one!

The JDM JZ's are all MAP based, so boost leaks are irrelevant.

It makes your life a living hell on the "Karmen Frequency" MAFs, where they measure the "Straightness" of the air.

I mean, what the hell Mitsubishi? Straightness? What does that even mean!?

Ignition components, Coolant Temp sensor, your wiring skills, a bum electrical component, dirty cam sensor..

It could be anything from the looks of it. Get the multimeter out and go over everything!
Old 05-09-12, 08:24 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vrank
Also wanted to mention I added an extra 0 ga ground from battery to engine. I've moved the grounds around with no change, and my car will fire with the igniter flipped onto the plastic side although everyone says it grounds through the casing, although it is bolted into place on the shock tower. Car still idles gorgeous, and doesn't overheat even with the a/c blowing snow.
1JZ/2JZ igniters are grounded through the engine harness, you can wrap them in bubble wrap and they will still work fine.

OK, so reading through this....you're running a 1JZ harness on an Aristo ECU using a 1JZ harness? Is this correct, or are you running an Aristo ECU with an SC GE harness?

If you're running the 1JZ harness on an Aristo ECU, you'll need to make sure that VC from both the TPS and MAP sensor are spliced together, also, you need to make the necessary wiring adjustments at the ECU for the sub TPS that is not present, so the ECU still thinks it's there.

I'm not saying that this will fix your problem, but these are a few things that could potentially cause these symptoms.

-Cam, Tweak'd Performance
Old 05-09-12, 09:10 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

He said he had run an Aristo ECU at one point, but is now running a 1jz ecu. They both do the same thing.
Old 05-09-12, 09:18 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TweakTech
...also, you need to make the necessary wiring adjustments at the ECU for the sub TPS that is not present, so the ECU still thinks it's there.

When would this be an issue? I have an Aristo swap and deleted the SUB TPS totally. I did not do anything special to the wiring other than totally remove it and I don't have this issue.
Old 05-09-12, 09:26 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Aristo ecu was the first setup. Used a ge harness, made my own everything for gte in it. Vc was accounted for. 1jz ecu runs on the 1j jzx90 harness that was untouched other than pruning not needed stuff, then merged with the stock ge harness.

Can you explain what you're talking about with the sub tps and making the ecu think it's still there? I've deleted that stuff the same way on every other harness I've done and had zero problems so far on a 2jzge, and 1jzgte both vvti and non vvti.
Old 05-09-12, 11:16 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TweakTech
If you're running the 1JZ harness on an Aristo ECU, you'll need to make sure that VC from both the TPS and MAP sensor are spliced together, also, you need to make the necessary wiring adjustments at the ECU for the sub TPS that is not present, so the ECU still thinks it's there.

I'm not saying that this will fix your problem, but these are a few things that could potentially cause these symptoms.

This is your issue, i went and look in my notes i remember "fuzion" car was doing the same when i used the ge harness on it...but the only difference i had a couple codes

Last edited by 99SC42; 05-09-12 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-09-12, 12:53 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

The statement you quoted is false on all accounts. vc will have continuity between map and tps on any of the map based gte harnesses. When I built the aristo ecu harness, I made sure this was correct. Also, the part about the sub throttle position sensor stuff just isn't true as far as obd1 ge, and gte stuff.
Old 05-09-12, 01:00 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

^^^I have to agree. Maybe it's year dependent or something because I don't have any issues or a CEL related to sub TPS. I don't have a CEL for anything actually, and I deleted A LOT of stuff from my harness including multiple VSVs, all the auto trans stuff, sub tps etc.
Old 05-09-12, 01:06 PM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stockhatch
When would this be an issue? I have an Aristo swap and deleted the SUB TPS totally. I did not do anything special to the wiring other than totally remove it and I don't have this issue.
We have had this issue on SOME of our customer's harnesses and the wiring changes at the ECU fixed the issue. We do this wiring fix on all of them now to prevent to possibility of the issue.

Originally Posted by Vrank
The statement you quoted is false on all accounts. vc will have continuity between map and tps on any of the map based gte harnesses. When I built the aristo ecu harness, I made sure this was correct. Also, the part about the sub throttle position sensor stuff just isn't true as far as obd1 ge, and gte stuff.
Vary rarely do we modify a GE harness (for obvious reasons) so I just mentioned it for the OP to double check, especially if the harness had been modified, it could have been overlooked. Just a friendly precaution

Also, VC has continuity at two locations on many other non-map based Toyota harnesses as well.
Old 05-09-12, 01:19 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Well take it how you want ! i am just telling that i had the same exact issue and i had a code for IGF, TPS, Sub Throttle.
Code 14, 47,41,44 this is on 95 SC300 with 2jzgte Supra 6 speed swap .

GL
Old 05-09-12, 02:58 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Sorry, I wasn't trying to come off like that. I was more curious why it happens on some cars and not others.
Old 05-10-12, 03:49 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Well it's fixed, and I'm a dumbass. Wiring was fine. I bought the engine from a guy that seemed pretty sharp and worked at a shop. I should have never assume he knew what he was doing. He got a code 13, checked crank sensor resistance, then told me the ecu was bad and sold it to me for dirt to go ls1 since that was his original plan. Turns out he was full of it, and jumped a tooth on the crank when he replaced the timing belt.

Also, my ecu and the aristo ecu are on their way out. Neither threw the code 13, only the factory ecu that came with it. I could force many codes but this one wouldn't show. After replacing my friends caps for his sc400 the other day I decided to pop the ecu apart to steal the plug to make a jumper harness for my vvti engine. Cleanest ecu I've ever seen so tested it between my daily and that's how I found it. I ordered all the caps for both ecus last night and will be fixing all of them. I went through 3 in a year on the ge, only one was salvageable.

To those that helps thank you. I learned a real good lesson here.
Old 05-10-12, 04:16 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

LOl it's always something really stupid . I am glad you good it running.

Enjoy it.

Adam ,

No worries my friend!