Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My Official Turbo Project Status/Update Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-03, 11:05 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an awesome discussion. There are lots of people that are running decent boost levels on higher compression 2JZs, and there are lots of people who are currently working on projects right now (me) who will be attempting to do the same.

motorheaddown, it was your post I was referring to. I am anxious to see your results and see the actual c/r.

If we ever get my car completed, I will surely post my graphs, logs, and everything else I can possibly share to help others out.
Old 02-12-03, 11:19 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Angel,

I'm sure there are many people benefiting from this thread (me too, re: fuel pump setup), and I look forward to further discussions in the future.

-scott

P.S. I'm also on the AEM forum and am working towards getting my sensors integrated with the ems unit.
Old 02-12-03, 04:42 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 95sc300t
I can deal with that. Fact is, that it is possible that the machine work was done poorly on my old Talon, with poorly boared cylinders, making piston-slap a possibility, causing false detination readings.. ?
Sounds like it was most likely the ignition advance. What kind of timing were you running and did you have any type of ignition controller?
Anyways, the combustion chamber design, and piston head shape can have a lot to do with detination also, so the 2jz design could simply be superior along those lines..
This is a definite possibility as well...

PS - it's "detOnation"
Old 02-12-03, 05:11 PM
95sc300t
Driver

Timing advance was stock as all I had on the car was a HKS VPC, so wasn't messing with advance at all. Datalogs showed advance along the lines of 12 to 14, with the detOnation comming in pretty strong.. But not with race gas and 20 timing advance, so the better gas was for sure making a diff.

I'll for sure be building a water/alcohol injection system for mine, for street-gas use, as it DOES make a good difference...

check this out.. I'm on an AEM-ECU e-mail list, with some guys who are really pushing the edge... One of the guys has rigged his Supra, so that with 91 octain he can run 26 or even more psi.. The way it works, is at 17psi, it almost totally cuts fuel to the regular fuel injectors, and opens a couple big injectors spraying methanol.. he says its like switching on NOS, and he is logging zero knock, and his intake manifold is cold to the touch after a run.. Talk about sleeper.. You couldn't even smell race-gas before he lays down 700HP smack.

He figures, that he could turbo a SC300, but have the turbo feed directly into the intake, sans intercooler, with the factory stock compression ratio, and just use the methanol spray.. An interesting concept, but like NOS, you would have to re-fill the Methanol regularly...
Old 02-13-03, 05:29 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

methanol isn't exactly cheap either...

but damn thats badass
Old 02-13-03, 08:22 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Methanol is also not too great for aluminum in the long run...
Old 02-13-03, 08:35 PM
95sc300t
Driver

Well, the guy I know who was using it, was mixing with another chemical.. (Can't remember which) that made it much easier on all the parts involved.. pump, hoses, injectors, and the intake manifold..

At $2.00 a gallon, it seems expensive, but it would only be used at +17psi or so, so would only be used under top racing conditions, like a night at the track, or for the obnoxious SS camaro on occasion.. Normal running, at say, 12psi would give in the area of 300-350 HP I would imagine, which would be fine for most typical drivers, with 450-500 HP ocassional runs with the methanol.

I havn't done this yet, so I can only speculate how well it would all work out, but it would probably be fun to experiment with it!
Old 02-23-03, 06:51 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

So today 02/23/03... while testing out the fuel system, we learned that the machine shopped mis-machined my rail per-say... by exactly 0.0030 of an inch .. so I am leaking fuel under the injectors.

If anyone has a stock 2JZ-GE rail, I need one ASAP. I am not very happy about this. I have money in PayPal Now, willing to pay right away.
Old 02-23-03, 08:16 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

I have a stock ge rail but it was bored out for 720's through Sound Performance. Bought from Houstonsc300 who bought it from Ebanks. The thing has not been on a car yet. I have pictures at home if you are interested. I don't have paypal though. PM me if you want it. I could ship it tomorrow.
Old 02-23-03, 08:58 PM
95sc300t
Driver

Angel.. Is there no way you can find an oversized o'ring for them? .0030 is so close that it seems you could make it up, but I guess the higher possible pressure of the fuel pump could be a factor on how big an o'ring you could get away with..
Old 02-23-03, 09:20 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

awj, you got a PM.

As far as bigger O-Rings, I am not sure ... he is thinking about trying something similar and I am going to also call him tomorrow and see if maybe we can just weld and re-tap new holes .. I dunno.

very disappointing news tho... we are very very close to firing her up for the first time.
Old 02-24-03, 07:02 AM
95sc300t
Driver

Well, re-welding 6 holes, then re-tapping would be cost prohibitive, and I'd say just go with the new rail for sure...

Currious.. Can the stock Supra TT injectors fit in the GE rail? That would be a nice shortcut there.. And be able to handle 550-600 RWHP like the Supra's can.
Old 02-24-03, 07:23 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Actually, 95sc300t, 550's will be good to 450 rwhp, safely, and 500rwhp if you want to push it. The rail is not too expensive, though, so I agree, wouldn't be too terrible to buy a new one. For the record, Toyomoto, SP, PHR, and PF all make upgraded GE rails.
Old 02-24-03, 07:50 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Supra TT 550cc injectors won't work. They are side feed (GTE) while the GE is top feed.

Either way .. I already have injectors ... I need a new rail now. I have 2 GTE rails laying around, but they don't do me much good.
Old 02-24-03, 10:37 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Angel
Correct me if I am wrong, but the Supra TT 550cc injectors won't work. They are side feed (GTE) while the GE is top feed.

Either way .. I already have injectors ... I need a new rail now. I have 2 GTE rails laying around, but they don't do me much good.
the best bang for the buck on injectors are 88-91 RX-7 high-impedance injectors... they are 550s and can be had for very cheap

Quick Reply: My Official Turbo Project Status/Update Thread