Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

My Official Turbo Project Status/Update Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-02 | 01:07 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

Default My Official Turbo Project Status/Update Thread

The Clutchnet Clutch is installed and properly broken in. Currently has 1,500 miles on it and will not get any more miles on it until the turbo project is complete (I told the mechanic that I won't drive it again until it is turbo).

3" Single Exit exhaust is done.

Today (11/05/02) we removed the head in order to do the headgasket swap. The book calls for 16 paid hours for a head gasket swap. My mechanic successfully removed the head in 3.5 hours today (single-handedly), and he expects it to take approximately 4 - 4.5 hours to put back together, so we are at about half of book time for the headgasket swap.

Tomorrow I am taking the head to a machine shop to have it machined or at least to have it checked out.

I will add to this post as new things happen.

Estimated E.T. for project finish - December 17, 2002 (this will also be updated as problems arise, heheh).

Last edited by Angel; 11-25-02 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-10-02 | 06:12 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

Today (11/10/02) we re-mounted and torqued the head down ... with a Grex (GReddy/Trust) 2.0mm headgasket in there. We also put the cams back on, the valve covers, etc. We cut off the stock mid-pipe and took out the stock header and put on the SP jet-hotted header. Also removed the stock air box.

I am currently waiting on 2 more gaskets so we can put the whole intake manifold back on.

Last edited by Angel; 11-10-02 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-10-02 | 07:39 PM
kmn5
Lead Lap

What other gaskets need to be replaced when redoing the head?

K
Old 11-11-02 | 12:34 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

I bought the head gasket set (which I don't need the head gasket from that, so if anyone needs a stock headgasket, name a price and it is yours), and it came with lots of gasket, but it was missing two of the gaskets that go to the intake setup.

I am not exactly sure which two it is missing, but the intake manifold is multi-piece and I am sure it is gaskets inside there somewhere.

The head gasket kit came with head gasket, exhaust manifold gasket, intake manifold gasket, valve cover gasket, and some other ones that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Sorry I can't be of much more help.
Old 11-25-02 | 05:27 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

Okay, here is the latest update ... for anyone that may be following, sorry I haven't been on much, progress has been slow.

The head was on last time I posted. We now have started putting the intake manifold back on (the only reason it took so long to do that is because I had to wait for my modified intake for the injectors to fit), so hopefully that will be finished tonight.

The turbo is mounted! It looks awesome, I am going to take some pictures next time I am up there. We also put on the downpipe and HKS GT wastegate. For anyone who may have wondered, since I didn't get a good response when I asked the question, the midpipe that works on a Supra will also work on the Lexus SC300 even though the SC is dual exhaust and the Supra is single, it still bolts up.

The Front Mount intercooler is Half-mounted. It is just kinda hanging there. We haven't completed running all of the piping, because things didn't seem to be lining up right, so we are doing the intake first so we can be sure the intercooler is mounted properly because the piping will hopefully be a guide to that.

For anyone who wants to put a GReddy 3 row FMIC in their SC300, you need to move the power steering cooling lines (I just bent them out of the way) and you need to move some lines that go to the A/C compressor ... I will have more detail on this after we actually have it all mounted perfectly.

Hope this might be helpful to someone/anyone/everyone.
Old 11-25-02 | 05:51 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

wouldnt it cheaper to buy a turbo kit? It will cost you more money because of "oops"
Old 11-25-02 | 08:51 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

I did buy a Turbo Kit. The Sound Performance SP63 kit.

I am not sure exactly what you are asking.
Old 11-25-02 | 09:11 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

oops, i thought you were fab it yourself.
Old 11-27-02 | 12:27 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

11/26/02 - Timing belt is now on. I have to wait for the fuel rail to get back from the machine shop so we can put the injectors in and put the rest together. Next update might be a few days at least. Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-27-02 | 03:32 AM
Tryk
Pole Position

Originally posted by Angel
11/26/02 - Timing belt is now on. I have to wait for the fuel rail to get back from the machine shop so we can put the injectors in and put the rest together. Next update might be a few days at least. Happy Thanksgiving.
Hi there,
Thanks for all the info so far. Could you please explain to me what is being done to the fuel rail? Are you modifying the factory fuel rail for some reason? or are you getting a custom fuel rail fabricated?

Thanks
Old 11-27-02 | 07:11 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

We are modifying the stock fuel rail to accept the new injectors.

The fuel rail didn't have openings big enough to fit the injectors, so we were going to just drill them out using a drill bit and smooth them out, however, our biggest bit was 1/2" and that wasn't big enough once we got started, and it also seemed it wouldn't be smooth enough.

A machine shop picked up the fuel rail today and it will be ready on Monday.
Old 11-28-02 | 02:08 PM
AzLex
Lead Lap

How big is the rail -6 or -8?
Old 11-28-02 | 11:21 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

It is the factory rail from a '93 SC300, I don't know the size of it ??
Old 11-29-02 | 09:02 PM
AzLex
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Angel
It is the factory rail from a '93 SC300, I don't know the size of it ??
Do they even make an aftermarket rail for the ge? Or can you use one for the GTE motor?
Old 11-30-02 | 11:43 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

I am 99.8% sure that Sound Performance makes one or custom fabs one for our cars (GE).

Quick Reply: My Official Turbo Project Status/Update Thread