Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

R154 tranny swapout

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-05, 02:10 PM
AURELIOMK3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am a proud owner of a supra mk3 and a sc300 now its true when you put a 1j or 2j in a mk3 supra all we need it the bell housing and it bolts up i think there is a special pressure plate/cltuch because the 7m clutch setup does not match the 1j or 2j so by from what i was thinking , as long as you get a a r154 1jz bellhousing then everything else should bolt up and the same pressure plate/clutch you would use for a 1jz 5 speed . but i think the drive shaft is different cause the reason the mk3 guys do that it because the drive shaft in a mk4 supra is differnet so i think we have a mk4 supra driveshaft so you wil have problems with that
Old 10-14-05, 02:17 PM
AURELIOMK3
Pole Position

not sure about the extension either cause believe it or not the r154 tranny is bigger than the mk4 6speed tranny a buddy of mine as a mk3 supra with a 2j and he actually had to cut in the front of metal casue the 6speed was furhter up than the r154 problem with that is its another car so in a lexus not sure i think there are to many question i rather just try to find a 1jzgte r154 tranny
Old 10-14-05, 04:35 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a design for making an extension to the mk3 r154 and will try it out upon actually being able to find a 5 speed locally in good shape. It doesnt look too hard to do but again having a car would greatly help. oh and for those wondering it is about 3 inches too far forward from the research and a little testing over at lexus on a long afternoon.

aureliomk3: finding a 1jz r154 out of a soarer is next to impossible. just about every member thinking of boosting is searching for one so good luck. the next best thing would be out of a chaser or as what i will be doing, modifying the transmission, to fit correctly
Old 10-14-05, 11:40 PM
platinumJZZ31
Rookie

ok, here' s my master list of what's needed for this swap. I HAVE NO IDEA if it's complete. I complied it after hours of searching and talking to a guy on SF named dr. jonez. if anyone has any input please let me know or post it, thanks!

-R154 trans
-J series engine to R154 bellhousing
-soarer transmission mount
-soarer/custom driveshaft
-soarer shift linkage
-1J supra/soarer engine->transmission mounting brackets
-1J supra/soarer front inspection cover
-1J supra/soarer side inspection covers
-1J supra/soarer flywheel
-1J supra/soarer pilot bearing
-R154 clutch disc
-R154 pressure plate
-R154 release setup- release hub, bearing, snap rings, clutch fork
-R154 clutch slave cylinder and line
Old 10-15-05, 08:27 AM
AURELIOMK3
Pole Position

i agree with platinumJZZ31 i thiunk that about covers what you are going to need i will try to find some more research i will talk to my buddy with a supra mk3 that has a 2j in the car and i will post what he had to get to make it work. so from there we can see what we would need t omake it work on our car. and youyr right it is next to impossible to find a 1jz 5 speed .I THINK WE SHOULD USE THISE LIKE A STICKY ONCE WE HAVE ALL THE INFO THAT WE NEED TO MAKE THE SUPRA MK3 R154 IN OUR CAR. ITSA LIKE MY FRINED SAYS TO ME IF THERE A WILL THERE'S A WAY AND SINCE ITS TOYOTA TRANNY I SEE IT WORKING
Old 10-15-05, 09:20 AM
prjctSC300
Lead Lap

good stuff guys this info can help us get a 5-speed set-up for a decent price instead of shelling out 3k plus for the damn 6-speed. b/c those r154 mk3 trannys can be had for cheap at lots of junkyards

does anybody possibly have a side by side pic of both trannys??
Old 10-15-05, 10:26 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The info is already out there... I've posted up and several other people have posted up what is needed on about 10 different threads... thats just on this very forum; that doesnt include the postings up on supraforums either.

People ask questions everyday about this swap but no one does it because they are too scared to get their hands dirty.
Old 10-15-05, 01:04 PM
prjctSC300
Lead Lap

well maybe we can get someone to reply with someone that has experience with this swap....
Old 11-15-05, 10:18 AM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Can you use the stock 5-speed SC driveshaft on a R154??
Old 11-15-05, 11:21 AM
AURELIOMK3
Pole Position

from what i understand no you would have to get a custom drive shaft or a soarer drive draft. the reason is the drive shaft is for a w58 tranny not a actual r-154 correct me if i am wrong anybody
Old 11-15-05, 02:45 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

aureliomk3 is correct, you have to either find a soarer driveshaft or get a custom one, they usually run about $250
Old 11-15-05, 03:47 PM
jpvarghese
Lexus Test Driver

Would a R154 tranny that came from a JDM Soarer or any 1JZ motor a direct fit into the subtunnel of a 5-speed SC?
Old 11-15-05, 04:03 PM
octane103
Pole Position

when i did the swap in my car, i had both a soarer R154 and a supra R154 side by side to use for comparison. the only difference between the two trannys is the shift linkage extension off the back of the tranny is about 3/4 to 1 inch.
the soarer shift linkage extension is the longer of the two. but not by much.

it is the combination of the shift linkage AND the actual soarer shifter that makes the shifter position line up in the correct location in an SC300/400.

the soarer shifter itself is at a slightly different angle than the soarer shifter and a bit longer than the supra shifter.

to anyone doing the swap, you can use an aftermarket soarer shifter, like C's for example. this way you are killing two birds with one stone. the aftermarket soarer shifter might be easier to source out, and you will have shorter shift points. a definate bonus.

sourcing the soarer shift linkage is the hard part. it would be nice if a company here in the US could get one and the mass produce them over here. that would make life much easier for us.

they could even copy the soarer shifter and just sell them together as a kit.

all you would need then is any R154 from a MKIII supra (which is not too hard to find) and then the soarer shift linkage and shifter kit.
Old 11-15-05, 08:56 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

look at my signature. do that since finding the shift linkage is next to impossible to find/get
Old 11-16-05, 01:37 PM
octane103
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
look at my signature. do that since finding the shift linkage is next to impossible to find/get

Great job vipsoarer!

that truly is an awesome idea. have you bolted it up yet? the pics look like its a bit too long. if you start making those for people who are not as handy or who dont have the tools for that, i'm sure you can make enough money back to make it worth your while.

Quick Reply: R154 tranny swapout