Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

R154 tranny swapout

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-02, 01:47 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post R154 tranny swapout

I was looking at MK3 Supras the other day and I notice that their N/A version has the W58 5-speed manual transmission...
this is the same tranny that we have on our Lexus SC3 5-speeds correct?

is there any difference in the bellhousing between the 2jz W58 and the 7M W58?

because if there's not then theoretically the R154 5-speed from the MK3 turbo (which is MUCH stronger) could be swapped over...
and these trannies are a dime a dozen... it'd be a lot cheaper than forking out $1500 for the 6-speed Supra tranny swap...

does anyone know any specifics about the R154? does it have the same type of clutch setup as the W58? or is it more like the 6-speed Supra tranny which is reversed in the way the flywheel engages the clutch
Old 11-06-02, 04:03 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried asking the MKIII guys at SupraForums? I get questions answered pretty quick over there. Good idea though!
Old 11-06-02, 08:45 AM
Manny
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R154

The R154 is the factory standard 5 speed on my 1JZGTE (280hp) powered Soarer (SC300/400) - fits behind the 1JZGTE, 2JZGTE, 2JZGE, 1UZFE.
Clutch setup is similar to W58.
Handles huge power upgrades - 600HP+
Old 11-07-02, 01:14 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

awsome info man...

i just need to see if the 7m tranny/bellhousing has the same bolt-pattern as the 2jz does... i wouldn't be suprised at all

but this info would blow the lid off the 6-speed swap; it'd be hella cheaper
Old 11-07-02, 07:10 AM
Manny
Driver School Candidate

Not sure about the 7M bolt pattern - I know it's the same as the A340 Autos used on the SC300/400 - shifter is different between MKIII Supras and the SC but you could get a new one from Toyota/Lexus if you were desperate.
Old 11-07-02, 04:16 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: R154

Originally posted by Manny
The R154 is the factory standard 5 speed on my 1JZGTE (280hp) powered Soarer (SC300/400) - fits behind the 1JZGTE, 2JZGTE, 2JZGE, 1UZFE.
Clutch setup is similar to W58.
Handles huge power upgrades - 600HP+
Does the MKIII have a LSD for the R154? It would make sense to get the LSD that matches the output shaft of the tranny.

Oh... minor point. If the R154 fits the 2JZ, will the reverse light switch and speedometer connectors from the sc300 fit the older tranny? I know the 5-speed reverse light switch must be swapped out with the one that comes with the getrag. The speedometer connector on the getrag fits the sc300 wiring harness without modification.

-scott
Old 11-08-02, 12:15 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: R154

Originally posted by motorheaddown

Does the MKIII have a LSD for the R154? It would make sense to get the LSD that matches the output shaft of the tranny.

Oh... minor point. If the R154 fits the 2JZ, will the reverse light switch and speedometer connectors from the sc300 fit the older tranny? I know the 5-speed reverse light switch must be swapped out with the one that comes with the getrag. The speedometer connector on the getrag fits the sc300 wiring harness without modification.

-scott
i'd just as soon buy the auto LSD out of a SupraTT; it'd be easier to put in...

and remember... this R154 he's talking about is only available on the 1jz-gte and its very rare...
the R154 i'm talking about comes off of a MK3 supra turbo... it may or may not fit; when browsing the toymods boards i come under the idea that they are not compatible and you'd need to get a JZ bellhousing from a W58 custom fit onto the R154 tranny

Not sure about the 7M bolt pattern - I know it's the same as the A340 Autos used on the SC300/400 - shifter is different between MKIII Supras and the SC but you could get a new one from Toyota/Lexus if you were desperate.
or get a short shifter

Last edited by Bean; 11-08-02 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-08-02, 07:14 AM
Manny
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: Re: R154

Scott

Not sure about the reverse light and speed sensor - wouldn't be that difficult to sort though, only electronics.

Originally posted by Bean

i'd just as soon buy the auto LSD out of a SupraTT; it'd be easier to put in...

and remember... this R154 he's talking about is only available on the 1jz-gte and its very rare...
the R154 i'm talking about comes off of a MK3 supra turbo... it may or may not fit; when browsing the toymods boards i come under the idea that they are not compatible and you'd need to get a JZ bellhousing from a W58 custom fit onto the R154 tranny

or get a short shifter
MKIII and MKIV Diffs are not interchangeable - I wish they were, a MKIII LSD diff is about AUD$400 wheras a MKIVLSD diff is about AUD$ 1200.
MKIII''s did come out with LSD in Australia and Japan and would be suitable behind an R154 as that's how they left the factory.
IMHO, Hacking up a W58 bellhousing is a dodgy way of fitting a R154 behind a JZ/UZ series. . If you're that desperate you can buy the JZ bellhousing new from Toyota.
A short shifter won't work as the pivot point will be in your ashtray - the Soarer/SC uses a rear mounted shifter totally unlike the MKIII Supra.

Last edited by Manny; 11-08-02 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-08-02, 05:24 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

so what would be the best way of getting a 7M R154 onto a JZ engine? call dellows and get the bellhousing adapter? how much does it cost?
Old 11-08-02, 05:41 PM
Manny
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by Bean

so what would be the best way of getting a 7M R154 onto a JZ engine? call dellows and get the bellhousing adapter? how much does it cost?
You could try getting a Dellows belhousing, they go for about AUD $1100 or alternatively, price up an original bellhousing locally, Toyota part number 31111-141111.
Old 11-08-02, 06:11 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

You could try getting a Dellows belhousing, they go for about AUD $1100 or alternatively, price up an original bellhousing locally, Toyota part number 31111-141111.
Manny,

Stupid question here, but are the tranny input shafts similar between the R154 and 6-speed getrag? Specifically, the interface to the pilot bearing? Also, would you have to get a flywheel/clutch/pressure plate to match the R154?

-scott
Old 11-08-02, 06:15 PM
Manny
Driver School Candidate

Manny,

Stupid question here, but are the tranny input shafts similar between the R154 and 6-speed getrag? Specifically, the interface to the pilot bearing? Also, would you have to get a flywheel/clutch/pressure plate to match the R154?

-scott
Yes on all accounts. I assume pilot and spiggot bearing are the same thing.
Old 11-08-02, 06:20 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Yes on all accounts. I assume pilot and spiggot bearing are the same thing.
Hmm... well if its the bearing that is pressed fit into the engine block that guides the tranny input shaft to align along the rotation of the crank (ergo "pilot"), then we're talking the same thing.

Now... where the heck does "spiggot" come from? I can understand "pilot." It must be a "south of the equator" thing! :-)

-scott
Old 11-09-02, 05:56 AM
Manny
Driver School Candidate

Hmm... well if its the bearing that is pressed fit into the engine block that guides the tranny input shaft to align along the rotation of the crank (ergo "pilot"), then we're talking the same thing.

Now... where the heck does "spiggot" come from? I can understand "pilot." It must be a "south of the equator" thing! :-)

-scott
Yep same thing - doubt it's south of the equator thing - it's a English term originating in the UK. You guys just like to be different/original
Old 11-10-02, 05:45 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

so this project would require....

a custom flywheel, a custom clutch plate/disc, and a custom bellhousing?

what kind of flywheel could you use to start off; sorry but transmissions are my only real weakpoint in car knowledge...

i don't see how the clutch plate would need to be custom; as long as it bolts to the 2jz motor; and uses a clutch disc that matches the shaft of the R154 tranny; i don't see such a big deal...

nor do i see where a custom flywheel would be needed?

and if the short throw shifter wouldn't mount in the correct location; how can you source a shifter that would?

sorry i'm slow i guess

Quick Reply: R154 tranny swapout