Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Why can't I spin the tires off the line

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-12, 11:15 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
You should definitely have a TCS. Check under the hood. Looking straight on at the engine bay, the TCS bits are in the upper left hand corner (read: passenger side, nearer the firewall) right on top of the plenum.

I have no idea what a unichip is. That might tell you how effective they are. The 1UZ has some serious enthusiasts. If something existed like a tried and true chip for our engines, we'd all know about it.
Forgive me for being an idiot, but in looking there are a couple of things it could be. There is a large plastic cover with 3 10mm bolts holding it on. There is also further to the left, a random jumble of stuff. Either way, I'm not sure how I turn it off. What do I do specifically?
Old 05-14-12, 11:18 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Ok, is it the red circle or the yellow? Or is it something else entirely? Whatever it is, how do I disable the traction control?
Attached Thumbnails Why can't I spin the tires off the line-1995-lexus-sc400-22.jpg  
Old 05-14-12, 11:22 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

The red circle. Should say "TRAC" on it.

If you're missing that, someone may has boogered with your car.
Old 05-14-12, 11:24 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

The red circle. Should say "TRAC" on it.

If you're missing that, someone may has boogered with your car.
That's what I was afraid of, I think someone may have messed with it, hence the hole in my console. It doesn't say anything on it any more. Anyway, what needs to be done to disable the thing?
Old 05-14-12, 11:37 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

Originally Posted by ajmccarrel
That's what I was afraid of, I think someone may have messed with it, hence the hole in my console. It doesn't say anything on it any more. Anyway, what needs to be done to disable the thing?
You should be able to spin the tires by just blipping the throttle when the engine is cold (which isn't great for your motor) or when the tires are wet. If you still have an active TCS, you'll see the light blink on the bottom of the gauge cluster. I don't remember if it's on the right or left side, though. I haven't been in my SC in a while.

If you can spin the tires freely when they're wet, the system is disabled. If you notice the engine power being limited when the tires should be spinning and there's no TRAC light blinking, someone removed the light from behind the dash in order to sell the car without a buyer knowing. The best way to find this answer is just to turn the key to the ON position before turning the engine on. If you don't see the light, someone has pulled it. Same general rule for check engine lights, airbag lights, etc...
Old 05-14-12, 11:41 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

You should be able to spin the tires by just blipping the throttle when the engine is cold (which isn't great for your motor) or when the tires are wet. If you still have an active TCS, you'll see the light blink on the bottom of the gauge cluster. I don't remember if it's on the right or left side, though. I haven't been in my SC in a while.

If you can spin the tires freely when they're wet, the system is disabled. If you notice the engine power being limited when the tires should be spinning and there's no TRAC like blinking, someone removed the light from behind the dash in order to sell the car without a buyer knowing. The best way to find this answer is just to turn the key to the ON position before turning the engine on. If you don't see the light, someone has pulled it. Same general rule for check engine lights, airbag lights, etc...
I cannot spin the tires freely when wet. It does feel like the power is being limited. And sure enough, SEVERAL lights are missing, not just TRAC.

Anyway, is there a quick and easy method of disabling the TRAC, or is it long and involved?
Old 05-14-12, 11:48 PM
MongooseGA
Racer

I'd imagine just cutting the wire, but I couldn't tell you where it is in the harness. I'm sure you could find it in the forums somewhere.
Old 05-14-12, 11:52 PM
ajmccarrel
Driver

I'd imagine just cutting the wire, but I couldn't tell you where it is in the harness. I'm sure you could find it in the forums somewhere.
You'd be surprised at how little info there is on this subject! I'm going through here, Lexus Owners Club and Lextreme and there's a LOT of people asking the same question that I did and there's a lot of unanswered threads because no one seems to know how to do it on these older cars. The newer ones have buttons on the consoles, the 96+ have the button under the steering wheel and there are other models that have TRAC and no visible way of turning it off.
Old 05-15-12, 05:37 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a fuse for it. Pull it (if equipped) and TRAC goes away.
Realistically, you've done a bunch of mods that don't improve power. The exhaust is a nice step in the right direction but the ONLY way to "spin wheels" is to either increase power, or decrease traction. The 1UZ heads are fairly poor flowing. Bolt ons don't provide many gains for such a large motor and the automatic eats up a solid ~25% percent of your total power.
Old 05-15-12, 05:43 AM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

Originally Posted by ajmccarrel
That's what is the most confusing to me. Some of these guys on other sites like Jibbby, KCwhatever..., and others are posting that the TC upgrades is making it so they can do burnouts with the stock tranny. I can't even come close. I'm not sure if they're exaggerating their gains or if I'm doing something wrong, or if something is seriously wrong with my car.
i think they are referring to torque converter. i have a high stall level ten tc and i can stall to 3500 and rip off like a jack rabbit. you might have a bad one or in need of a serious tune up
Old 05-15-12, 07:22 AM
MooJohn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where the intake hose from the MAF connects to the engine, you can see two connectors in your pic. The first is the TRAC butterfly and the second is the throttle position sensor of your throttle butterfly.

I don't have traction control so I have only the one on the right. I would assume that if you unplugged the first one it couldn't operate and you'd have full power all the time.
Old 05-15-12, 07:36 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something is way wrong with your sc400, My car has 275 wide tires with nothing more than intake and exhaust as well as poly diff bushings and I car shred the tires on demand although I am not at all claiming it is fast .
Old 05-15-12, 07:37 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, earlier when you said TC upgrade you meant of course a Torque Converter upgrade? Even if you did that, you'll still only spin one tire because of the open diff, unless you have a supra LSD. But yeah sounds like that TRAC system is behaving funny. I've people spin off the line with bone stock SC400's.
Old 05-15-12, 08:36 AM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by CANDYAPPLE
i think they are referring to torque converter. i have a high stall level ten tc and i can stall to 3500 and rip off like a jack rabbit. you might have a bad one or in need of a serious tune up
I have a Lextreme TC with a stall of about 2800 and it's literally only about two week old, so I don't think that's the issue. I also did a full tune-up in january, including timing belt, water pump, etc. I don't think that's the issue. I'm pretty sure my trac is just stuck on.
Old 05-15-12, 08:37 AM
ajmccarrel
Driver

Originally Posted by MooJohn
Where the intake hose from the MAF connects to the engine, you can see two connectors in your pic. The first is the TRAC butterfly and the second is the throttle position sensor of your throttle butterfly.

I don't have traction control so I have only the one on the right. I would assume that if you unplugged the first one it couldn't operate and you'd have full power all the time.
I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

Quick Reply: Why can't I spin the tires off the line